Okay, first...my son is still in Cubs. However, I brought my sewing machine to a meeting last week, and now I'm helping our Boy Scout troop get their uniforms up to par.

So, for all of the Scout Troops out there--Have any of you seen velcro used to attach rank patches?

Next: What is the best way to sew the rank or velcro strip onto the pocket?

Looking for some advice. Thanks,

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is personal taste; and yes I've seen velcro used. Honestly, I don't care for it, but I don't like eggs either ... so what :)

I've found three ways to sew on rank a pocket: 1. Remove the pocked from the shirt, sew on the patches, and sew the pocket back on. 2. Sew the patch on by hand from inside the pocket(what I do). 3. Sew through the pocket; sewing it closed.

Here's the actual issue with velcro for ranks. The velcro, or velcore, has to be sewn on the pocket, and its counterpart sewn on the rank patch ... that's like sewing on two patches ... and with each new rank you have to sew the core/cro on the new rank patch ... this isn't less work. You could use badge magic ... but did you do less work, nope.

I just don't see this as a time saver for rank patches. There are other applications of this for those who wear a few different hats. My opinion, just sew em on ... the scout busted hump earning the rank, the least we can do is properly sew on the patch.

sqyire while you are trying to be helpful you are undercutting the program.

If you want to be of help.......here is what ya do.

You go to your local wally world or sewing emporium and buy 20 needles, the kind you sew by hand with. then you teach the boys how to sew their own patches on during the SM portion of the meeting or better yet you teach the SPL to do it and have him do the instruction......

Boy Scouts are supposed to do for themselves.........The old give a man a fish or teach him to fish proverb.

Velcro is lazy.....hand sewing the patches on gives the boy half a dozen opputunities to improve.

I agree with Basementdweller. I learned how to sew when I was a scout, putting my badges on my uniform. Once my son was done with Cub Scouts, it became his responsibility to sew on his own patches. Good learning opportunity, and a life skill worth having. I don't like Badge Magic, after trying it on my first leader uniform.

Okay folks... I like all of your inputs, and I agree with all of you.

I didn't need to sew any uniforms tonight, and I let the Boy Scouts know they needed to sew their own ranks on their uniforms. (however I have agreed to help with putting on district patchs and troop numbers if asked)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

This was something I was wondering as well last year. My son just is going into Wolf, so I hand sew all his patches on (and mine too as Den Leader.) I don't own a sewing machine and I refused to pay someone here in town to do it (most boys in our den had their grandparents use a machine to put the majority of theirs on.) I've talked with the parents and either this year or the next, we are going to do what BD said and teach them to sew the patches on. That way when they make it to Boy Scout, they will already know how to do it and continue to do so (that's the idea anyways.) :) My son already wants to know how to sew them on, I did take the time to show him how to thread the needle and knot it but when it came to putting it on, he got frustrated and watched me instead (he's 6 so I'm not making a big deal out of that at all.)

Use the self-stick velcro - no need to sew it. Sticks very well to the "glue" on the back of the patches. It may come off the newer uniforms, which seem to have some kind of finish, when washed. Make sure the loop part is put on the shirt to prevent pilling when being laundered. I ended up using an iron from the opposite side to help the glue set into the fabric better. Removing the patch when washing also helps it stay put. I prefer using the 2" wide strip and cutting to shape as needed vs using several of the dots. Only problem is if the Scout doesn't have a current position, you'd have a piece of velcro on the sleeve.

Though for all other patches, I agree the Scouts should sew them.

I can't get some of my leaders to put on basic insignia, but they do a great job anyway. For many folks in my pack, they resort to three options: Use Badge Magic, hire someone to do it, or don't do anything at all. The art and science of sewing is lost, at least in my neighborhood. No one seems to keep sewing kits at home anymore. Needless to say, I don't bother with uniform inspections.

Don't care for the velcro application since it looks "temporary" and not as neat in appearance. As far as boy scout rank patches are concerned, you should sew those on. Takes only a few minutes with needle and thread.

I can't get some of my leaders to put on basic insignia' date=' but they do a great job anyway. For many folks in my pack, they resort to three options: Use Badge Magic, hire someone to do it, or don't do anything at all. The art and science of sewing is lost, at least in my neighborhood. No one seems to keep sewing kits at home anymore. Needless to say, I don't bother with uniform inspections. [/quote']

That, my friend, is what we call a feedback loop.

Just spitballing here: Perhaps a petition, or suggestion to the advancement committee that as part of cub scouting, say Bear rank, boys learn some hygiene/home economics skills?

So many lessons to be learned besides cooking and feeding yourself: How to iron your shirt, how to do laundry, fix a hem in your slacks, sew on a button.

G2SS doesn't yet say a boy do these things. We need to strike while the iron is hot. (pun somewhat intended)

I can't get some of my leaders to put on basic insignia' date=' but they do a great job anyway. For many folks in my pack, they resort to three options: Use Badge Magic, hire someone to do it, or don't do anything at all. The art and science of sewing is lost, at least in my neighborhood. No one seems to keep sewing kits at home anymore. Needless to say, I don't bother with uniform inspections. [/quote']

That, my friend, is what we call a feedback loop.

To bad push-ups are now considered hazing. Dollar store prizes are ok.

Like any activity, the more one does it the better they get at it. I've been sewing patches on for almost 50 years now and can get a patch on a pocket/sleeve without sewing it together before someone can get out their sewing machine, change thread to the proper color and sew a pocket shut. Never could figure out why anyone would want to sew the pocket shut. They put a pocket on the shirt to be used as a pocket. :)

I have had to do field repairs on my uniform, sew on buttons, patches, etc. and do all sorts of things with a needle and thread over the years.

There's going to be the day when the scout is 20 miles into the back country and rips out a seam on his backpack. Without badge magic, a sewing machine or someone in the neighborhood that can sew, he's going to be out of luck for the rest of the trip. It's called "Be Prepared". Kinda of a catchy phrase if I say so myself. There is deep wisdom in the selection of that motto. A boy should be able to cook, clean, do laundry, mend clothing and a variety of other skills before he heads out into the back country. Poor cooking practices can lead to illness as would cleanliness. Clean clothes are just plain nice to have, and when the seam of your pants split out or a seam lets loose on your pack or tent, a little sewing skill goes a long way.