Any experience with the tripod tower?

I am insulted that you think I would scan old photos and claim them as my own.

I assumed you scanned your own photos from the 1970's and 1980's when the Outing was still in scouting, when boys were allowed to be carefree and have fun. Not wrapped up in bubble wrap

If you don't mind can you take this comment down, I'm trying to get all those pics off the forum.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After reading the comment from KDD I took down all photos that had scouts in them. Now that these pics have been up for a while and several users have seen them, I have taken them all down.

KDD,

Don't know what the current camp standards are, and no I will NOT go through the 300+ page standards book again :p, but camps could do the towers IF inspected by a COPE director once upon a time. BUT again GTSS requires brain buckets and belay lines.

KDD,

Don't know what the current camp standards are, and no I will NOT go through the 300+ page standards book again :p, but camps could do the towers IF inspected by a COPE director once upon a time. BUT again GTSS requires brain buckets and belay lines.

To be honest, thinking back on lashing the second and third story of our summer camp tower in my youth, part of my adrenaline pump is screaming "hardhat on, 'biner in!"
We built a variation of this, and it is quite safe. The tripod lashing was more to the top and we didn't stand on top of it as that was where the steel rope for the bosun's chair was connected. Also the ladder rungs were integrated onto the tripod and not somewhat detached. We would build a 25'-30' tower on one end, connect steel rope to it and another 20'-25' about 10-25 yards away, and anchor them with guy lines and 2 cars. Hook on your bosun's chair, and you got a 20-30 minute wait for a 30 second ride. :)

Unfortunately BSA now bans any pioneering projects that people will climb on that are over 5 feet. Page 77 of the current G2SS states that.

OK, I see they changed it from 5 to 6 feet. However, it doesn't say to the bottom of the bridge, it says "Note: Pioneering projects, such as monkey bridges, have a maximum height of 6 feet. Close supervision should be followed when Scouts are building or using pioneering projects.". Which tells me that all pioneering projects have a maximum height of 6 feet. Not a maximum height to the bottom of the bridge of 6 feet.

That is why at our local Scout-O-Rama the one pioneering project on display (a monkey bridge) was only six inches off the ground in the middle. They weren't allowed to make it any taller.

We built a variation of this, and it is quite safe. The tripod lashing was more to the top and we didn't stand on top of it as that was where the steel rope for the bosun's chair was connected. Also the ladder rungs were integrated onto the tripod and not somewhat detached. We would build a 25'-30' tower on one end, connect steel rope to it and another 20'-25' about 10-25 yards away, and anchor them with guy lines and 2 cars. Hook on your bosun's chair, and you got a 20-30 minute wait for a 30 second ride. :)

Unfortunately BSA now bans any pioneering projects that people will climb on that are over 5 feet. Page 77 of the current G2SS states that.

If the bridge any longer, you guys would be in trouble for digging too deep a trench so the rope would hang freely!

Pity you didn't interpret G2SS the way these folks did:

7038-04-004-412

Or these guys:

7038-04-004-416