Any experience with the tripod tower?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After reading the comment from KDD I took down all photos that had scouts in them. Now that these pics have been up for a while and several users have seen them, I have taken them all down.

We built a variation of this, and it is quite safe. The tripod lashing was more to the top and we didn't stand on top of it as that was where the steel rope for the bosun's chair was connected. Also the ladder rungs were integrated onto the tripod and not somewhat detached. We would build a 25'-30' tower on one end, connect steel rope to it and another 20'-25' about 10-25 yards away, and anchor them with guy lines and 2 cars. Hook on your bosun's chair, and you got a 20-30 minute wait for a 30 second ride. :)

Unfortunately BSA now bans any pioneering projects that people will climb on that are over 5 feet. Page 77 of the current G2SS states that.

Incorrect. The note says: Note: Pioneering projects, such as monkey bridges, have a maximum height of 5 feet. Close supervision should be followed when Scouts are building or using pioneering projects.

So it referrers to any pioneering project, not just monkey bridges.

Who is RichardB? And why shouldn't he see those photos?
RichardB is a health and safety person at national that occasionally posts here. And the reason he shouldn't see those photos are that they are all violate BSA rules (no pioneering project can be higher than five feet, not to mention scouts being more than four feet above the ground without suspension harnesses - see the GTSS).
We built a variation of this, and it is quite safe. The tripod lashing was more to the top and we didn't stand on top of it as that was where the steel rope for the bosun's chair was connected. Also the ladder rungs were integrated onto the tripod and not somewhat detached. We would build a 25'-30' tower on one end, connect steel rope to it and another 20'-25' about 10-25 yards away, and anchor them with guy lines and 2 cars. Hook on your bosun's chair, and you got a 20-30 minute wait for a 30 second ride. :)

Unfortunately BSA now bans any pioneering projects that people will climb on that are over 5 feet. Page 77 of the current G2SS states that.

Rick

First, it's six feet.

Secondly, have you ever seen bridge height signs? That's the height to the BOTTOM of the bridge (the space a vehicle has to pass under it).

After reading the comment from KDD I took down all photos that had scouts in them. Now that these pics have been up for a while and several users have seen them, I have taken them all down.
Well, in these days of photoshop, there is plausible deniability.

But, if your SM gets a phone call let us know.

I just wish you'd had the chance to work on the 30' towers I did in 1980.

I think you missed the wink, wink, nod, nod, say no more from jp. :)

Also I would take those photos down of the boys ASAP unless you have permission to post them from each of the parents. There is one in every crowd and you could get burned.

I am insulted that you think I would scan old photos and claim them as my own.

I assumed you scanned your own photos from the 1970's and 1980's when the Outing was still in scouting, when boys were allowed to be carefree and have fun. Not wrapped up in bubble wrap

Our Council built a 4 post tower at least 30 feet at a camp this summer. It was mostly for demonstration as it was mostly a cub and Webelos camp but did house BS for a STEM camp. I never saw anyone on it I must say. The Council is fairly buttoned on safety rules and they hold pioneering kit training each fall. A tower is a lot different than a monkey bridge so the pg 77 GTSS rule may only apply to rope bridges.