So why the non-high adventure base big trips???????

So why not the non-HA big trips?

If the boys can plan it, fund it, execute it, why not? I don't agree with how some of the mega troops do things where the parents run and fund everything like a mini army. But those of us who raise our own money and do our own planning, why not do a few big trips every year or so?

Fluoridation ?
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess I need to just be happy with the White Castle of scouting programs and not aspire to the Brown Derby scout program.

It is always the quality, not the quantity or the cost. Higher costs does not always = better.

Some of the best times my guys have are with a fishing pole on a sunny day on a New York lake. Cost: About $10.

Those big trips are not uncommon in my area. We are a small sized new troop, so I hope we will be dealing with those kind of requests later rather than sooner. If a big trip request does come up, I do plan on asking "What activities do they have there, that we can't do closer?" A good lesson in being thrifty. HA is one thing, but driving from SE TX to Colorado for a normal summer camp seems a bit much.

I know a number of parents (myself included, at times) wish the boys would want to take a big trip to the Indianapilis 500 like they did in the past. (I missed it the time our troop went.) Boys aren't interested. They want to take a trip on an extended weekend to go back and hike the West Rim trail of the PA Grand Canyon at a fraction of the cost of Indi. (We only did half of it a few years ago.)

So why the non-high adventure base big trips???????

So why not the non-HA big trips?

If the boys can plan it, fund it, execute it, why not? I don't agree with how some of the mega troops do things where the parents run and fund everything like a mini army. But those of us who raise our own money and do our own planning, why not do a few big trips every year or so?

Dr. Strangelove should have followed General Ripper's example: distilled water, or rain water, and pure grain alcohol.

Wifes response was why are you trying to compete with the rich folks a crossed the beltway???

Guess I felt put in my place by the rich white boys at roundtable. I flat didn't like it and I think I will let the round table commisioner know it.

Wifes response was why are you trying to compete with the rich folks a crossed the beltway???

Guess I felt put in my place by the rich white boys at roundtable. I flat didn't like it and I think I will let the round table commisioner know it.

BD, my "ghetto" kids are like yours. I feel very fortunate that the wealthier kids in our unit respect being tight on funds and maybe that's why they don't push big program ideas that only half of us could afford. I think they take a little pride in having adventures that don't break the bank. Week before last, SM had them put together a collage from a stack of this years' photos. At the center: the sign at a Dolly Sods trail-head with warnings and pictures of unexploded ordnance. That trip set everyone back maybe $25. (Boys who didn't have their own gear, were able to borrow -- thanks to years of boys handing down the stuff they bought via their scout accounts.)

Now, I do think there is a place for "big trips", and sometimes everyone pulling together to fund it is a needed boost for a unit.. So don't get peeved at round table if, in inspiring certain leaders, it reminded you of your tough times. Just offer the commish to teach a topic like "Our Boy's Best Budget Memories." Sometimes those "big trip" folks forget about how important the "little things" are and wind up missing things close to home. And sometimes, there's a troop just needing to run a little leaner, but with no clue how. You might give them some much needed guidance.

You act as if the RT leaders did this on purpose. What if they did a RT on water-based trips and your troop was full of non-swimmers? Would you feel equally indignant? RT is about disucssing topics of interest to units and sometimes that means discussing things that 50% or less of the units would even consider. Qwazse makes a good point of suggesting a topic of "budget memories" or perhaps something similar. But don't hate on other units because they are richer than yours. How would you like it if they hated on your unit because you weren't rich?

BTW, love the "rich white boys" dig. Imagine if someone made the opposite comment. For someone who's posts advocate for inclusiveness you can be pretty derisive at times. Let's be equal and fair to everyone.

Swimming is something I can deal with and have.....Most urban youth can't swim......For a buck a head I can get them to the park and recs pool on thursday night for swimming lessons. Gotten three different boys ready to pass their swimming test this summer for first class.......The aquatics guy last year was surprised when they came back to him after passing the test to sign their books......I told them that I didn't administer the test and he should sign it.

Oh I am sure it wasn't on purpose as the RT is one of the rich white guys...... In their world of troop buses and trailers, money to take the boys 600 miles and spending $150 a head on a long weekend isn't a problem.

I would feel the same about rich purple guys......these fellow are white and wealthy.....

Not sure how a trip to the Yorktown helps with patrol spirit or youth leadership.

I know a number of parents (myself included' date=' at times) wish the boys would want to take a big trip to the Indianapilis 500 like they did in the past. (I missed it the time our troop went.) Boys aren't interested. They want to take a trip on an extended weekend to go back and hike the West Rim trail of the PA Grand Canyon at a fraction of the cost of Indi. (We only did half of it a few years ago.)[/quote']

I think that first trip sounds lame--make it a family trip. The second trip is scoutlike, and I would love to do it.

Our troop's Scouts are "lazy" as the former SM told me. We pretty much car camp each month within a couple hours. We did go rafting in southern KY (5+ hours) 4 years ago. We'll have a small contingent going to the Smokies this summer. We also live in one of the most depressed areas of the state so few families have money (or money to buy popcorn, etc.). A few of the Scouts do manage to fund their whole year via fundraising though. Since the troop doesn't provide the adventure, I've been doing it on my own with my sons.

I don't see a troop trailer as some rich excess. It takes gear to go camping and if you don't have it in a trailer that means all the more vehicles it takes to transport stuff and gas. A properly stocked troop FA kit is big, so are Dutch ovens, patrol boxes, wash tubs, coolers etc. Firewood. Our local camp would be deforested very quickly if we were not required to bring our own firewood. At my old Council you were not allowed to bring in firewood, but was more rural.

If you have a troop of 30 I don't see how you pull it off without a trailer unless you have a bunch of Suburbans hauling everything.

I took 115 of my Cubbies to the Yorktown for $115 a head. Buses from ATL, all food, two nights bunking on the boat. EVERYBODY will remember that trip.

(Especially the Cub who broke his collarbone rolling out his 3rd level bunk woke up all the women in the officers quarters one deck below.)

There are activities and scavenger hunts that can be used for patrol competitions.