# Of Den & Pack Meetings

"We award rank badges at our June campout instead of at B&G." - We considered doing that same thing and was told we'd be the only den not ready at B&G. I was torn as to what to do (and we ended up rushing to get it done since they were only working on them from September '12 to February '13.) I didn't want them to see all the other scouts get a rank up and they be 'left behind', so to speak. Now that we have a new Cubmaster I will see what his thoughts are on all this.
It can be a struggle to get it all done by B&G. it is important to get the families a list of what they are expected to do at home early on. If you are a school based pack, meeting with the teachers (art, music, and PE) and finding out what they are scheduled for can be a major boost. No point making them do a color wheel or mobile a second time if you are rushed.

If you think about the requirements in the context of the cubs entire experience you can easily rack up five or six arrow points. Just takes a little leg work on your part and thumbing through the book occasionally to keep the stuff fresh in your head.

"We award rank badges at our June campout instead of at B&G." - We considered doing that same thing and was told we'd be the only den not ready at B&G. I was torn as to what to do (and we ended up rushing to get it done since they were only working on them from September '12 to February '13.) I didn't want them to see all the other scouts get a rank up and they be 'left behind', so to speak. Now that we have a new Cubmaster I will see what his thoughts are on all this.
We started out last year with a den leader that took it all for granted, to put it nicely. The first 3 months were insane, our meetings kept getting cancelled, she couldn't decide what we would work on and most of us started doing the achievements on our own time (well, besides the Go See It!s) to try and keep up. When I took over in December we worked together and got it all done by February but I can promise you that will not happen again this year. Most of the parents that were good friends with her bailed (those are the same I discussed that only show up to costly events that they had zero 'part' in) but we have a few that stuck with it and helped out tremendously.

I already gave out a paper at the last meet on everything upcoming through September and planned to start on a list for the Wolf items next month (so that we have time to plan.) Our 5 regular scouts' parents are all on Facebook and we have a private chat on there where we communicate almost daily.

We are not school based (our charter is the ELKS Lodge here in town and we meet at our local recreational center) but after seeing what is required I will see if I can find any tie ins elsewhere (that's actually how we got some of the electives done so all the boys had at least 20 finished up until now.) One of the parents is a teacher at an elementary school that 3 of our 5 regulars go to so maybe coordinating with her will help us (as far what all schools may be doing ,etc.) So many things we can do to make the best of it and I plan to explore those options to the best of my ability :)

Are you aware of the Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide ? The hard copy is about $10, but sections can be downloaded. It lays out a whole program year for you, mixing up requirements and electives.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide.aspx

Are you aware of the Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide ? The hard copy is about $10, but sections can be downloaded. It lays out a whole program year for you, mixing up requirements and electives.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide.aspx

I am, I purchased it, the leader book and a few others at the Scout Shop. I haven't looked through it for the Wolf yet but most definitely will!