Anyone used steel mesh globe on lantern ?

As we are coming closer to Summer, and thus summer camp.... I am wondering if anyone has ever used steel mesh globes as replacements for broken glass globes? I hear that they allow out a little less light, but are worth it to prevent broken glass globes?

...and yes... I know that battery lanterns are even safer.... but I somehow need to hear that familiar sound of a propane (or liquid fuel) lantern... :-)

As we are coming closer to Summer' date=' and thus summer camp.... I am wondering if anyone has ever used steel mesh globes as replacements for broken glass globes? I hear that they allow out a little less light, but are worth it to prevent broken glass globes? ...and yes... I know that battery lanterns are even safer.... but I somehow need to hear that familiar sound of a propane (or liquid fuel) lantern... :-) [/quote']

We moved to these simply because we were going through glass globes like candy. Scouts need to realize that these things get hot so be careful. But we let them carry knives, shoot guns and build fires so as with everything we do they need to learn safety (and first aid). ;)

I've been looking at these too. The reviews that I have read online always seem to comment on the lack of light output. Personally I have been looking at the new Coleman lanterns that come with the case. I would call it all "bell shaped". Most of the time that we seem to have globe problems is while the lanterns are banging around in the over-sized rectangular Coleman cases. These cases ave foam that is in direct contact with the globe, which seems to prevent any movement.

.2000003051_500.jpg

As we are coming closer to Summer' date=' and thus summer camp.... I am wondering if anyone has ever used steel mesh globes as replacements for broken glass globes? I hear that they allow out a little less light, but are worth it to prevent broken glass globes? ...and yes... I know that battery lanterns are even safer.... but I somehow need to hear that familiar sound of a propane (or liquid fuel) lantern... :-) [/quote']

I replaced my personal propane lantern globe with a steel mesh globe. I don't see much difference in light, personally. I like them, and have suggested that the troop go to them after they break the current glass globes.