Methodists Ask for Delay

Gee' date=' I'm not seeing a lot of warm-n-fuzzy coming from the ranks of the Methodists; a somewhat liberal (at least in recent times) religious body. Their roots are showing, and they along with other religious folks are just not very comfy with the notion of a youth-serving organization giving tacit approval to homosexual behavior. IMO, the overall number of church-sponsored units who are really excited about the local option is slim-to-none. [/quote']

The warm and fuzzy is here: http://www.gcumm.org/news/2013/01-31/gcumm-general-secretarys-statement-on-bsa-proposed-changes

What they are asking for is a delay so they can study the ramifications and figure out how to implement the change. They are not, like the Southern Baptists, lobbying for a no vote on the resolution.

"...the Methodists; a somewhat liberal (at least in recent times) religious body."

Heh, heh, a Baptist minister once informed me that a Methodist is merely a Baptist who can read. I asked him how that one went over from the pulpit? He just laughed and laughed.

Well...I thought it was pretty funny too, and I'm a baptist who can read very well, thank you. :)

The Methodists were quite fiery, fundamental, and evangelistic in the olden days. Perhaps they, and some other denominations took a wrong turning when the went to the whole "United" thing. Maybe it would have been best to stick with the "local option" when it came to doctrine and practice. Like you are found of quoting, Pack, "religion isn't about bringing people together." LOL

Methodists (and many of the other religions listed in this thread) also believe that sex outside of marriage is sinful - yet I don't see a clamoring to ban those Scouts and Scouters who have participated in sex outside of marriage. Why?

Methodists (and many of the other religions listed in this thread) also believe that sex outside of marriage is sinful - yet I don't see a clamoring to ban those Scouts and Scouters who have participated in sex outside of marriage. Why?
Would you agree that one might regard two behaviors as sinful, but that one is more so than the other?
Some people believe that homosexual behavior is more sinful than other forms of sex outside of marriage. I believe that all sex outside of heterosexual marriage is equally sinful, but that none of us are perfect. I would not reject a potential Scouter simply because he is gay. I would, however, prefer a straight man as Scoutmaster unless a gay Scouter was siginficantly better qualified.