Adult Nomination Question.

Now that is funny...

An organization of Honor Campers where you don't actually have to camp to be a member....

Talk about losing credibility.

The ability to waive the camping requirement for non-unit Scouters has been in place for at least the last 20 years. This is just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is allowed so district and council Scouters who might not have the opportunity/ability to attend a long-term camp but would still be an asset to the OA can be inducted. I understand the same argument could be make for some unit-level Scouters, but I don't make the rules and haven't found a place that the intentions behind them are explained.

Dlister,

Are you sure about the district members and camping requirement being waived? I don't recall that and we never nominated someone form the district unless they met the camping requirements.

Yep I know that OA is considered free labor in some councils. But think about it, if it wasn't for OA lodges, a lot of camp maintenance infrastructure would have to be paid for, increasing the cost of going to camp. A few years back, I did a comparison of our summer camp and other local camps, and we were the cheapest by a lot. And I say that the OA is the reason for keepign the costs down.

Now CSDC we are the second cheapest, but only b/c of a federal grant that pays for all expenses.

As been repeatedly said, all scouting is local. Every lodge is different. I've been in lodges where the W.W.W. really meant Work, Work, Work, and I've been in lodges that had a balance.

In relation to outdoor skills, unfortunately I've seen the same deterioration, and I blame it on the BSA's current emphasis on FCFY and not on mastery of skills as in the past. Also the current BSHB is woefully inadequate when it comes to outdoor skill. I had to make my own pamphlet for IOLS b/c the info was not there. Besides 15 days and nites of camping, including 1 long term is easily doable in a year. using my troop's calendar, 2 days and nites(Fri-Sun) times 10 months + 1 six day and nite summer camp (Sun - Sat) = 26 days and nites.

Now the comment abut OA being a little more difficult gets a laff from me. I'm a "blue looper" now, and I was told at one OA event that "Cubs don't need to camp," and " Cub families dont' know how to camp, they pack everything in their cars and expect to drive up to the campsite and drop it off." Then at a camp event a month or so later, the same people drive up to where they are going to be at, and proceed to unpack their SUVs. While me the "Blue Looper" has parked my car in the main lot, and proceed to hike in with everything in my backpack for the event

Base,

I cannot answer that question for all district folks, but I that when I was not in a unit, and a few others I know too, I was so much behind the scenes on district/council events, that I couldn't justify to the wife going to summer camp without having kids in the program.

Now that the wife has stated "YOU WILL BE GOING TO SUMMER CAMP WITH YOUR BOYS" ( camps for theSWMBO tone of voice, not shouting at ya), I cannot wait for next year! I am already practicing "Have you asked your patrol leader?"

Dlister,

Are you sure about the district members and camping requirement being waived? I don't recall that and we never nominated someone form the district unless they met the camping requirements.

Yep I know that OA is considered free labor in some councils. But think about it, if it wasn't for OA lodges, a lot of camp maintenance infrastructure would have to be paid for, increasing the cost of going to camp. A few years back, I did a comparison of our summer camp and other local camps, and we were the cheapest by a lot. And I say that the OA is the reason for keepign the costs down.

Now CSDC we are the second cheapest, but only b/c of a federal grant that pays for all expenses.

As been repeatedly said, all scouting is local. Every lodge is different. I've been in lodges where the W.W.W. really meant Work, Work, Work, and I've been in lodges that had a balance.

In relation to outdoor skills, unfortunately I've seen the same deterioration, and I blame it on the BSA's current emphasis on FCFY and not on mastery of skills as in the past. Also the current BSHB is woefully inadequate when it comes to outdoor skill. I had to make my own pamphlet for IOLS b/c the info was not there. Besides 15 days and nites of camping, including 1 long term is easily doable in a year. using my troop's calendar, 2 days and nites(Fri-Sun) times 10 months + 1 six day and nite summer camp (Sun - Sat) = 26 days and nites.

Now the comment abut OA being a little more difficult gets a laff from me. I'm a "blue looper" now, and I was told at one OA event that "Cubs don't need to camp," and " Cub families dont' know how to camp, they pack everything in their cars and expect to drive up to the campsite and drop it off." Then at a camp event a month or so later, the same people drive up to where they are going to be at, and proceed to unpack their SUVs. While me the "Blue Looper" has parked my car in the main lot, and proceed to hike in with everything in my backpack for the event

I am 100% positive about the ability of the camping requirement to be waived by the lodge adviser and council executive for district and council scouters. See page 21 of the Guide to Officers and Advisers, available at http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/pubs/#goa.