Adult Nomination Question.

I am a relatively new Scoutmaster and a very new Ordeal Member so this may seem like a silly question. I have two Assistant Scoutmasters that I think would make good candidates for membership. I was given a nomination form to fill out for them and I am having a hard time answering the questions about abilities. As I understand it the main function of Adults is to drive and faclilitate and stay out of the Youth leaders way. What abilities are needed for adults to "perform the necessary functions"? What skills and abilities "fulfill the purpose of the Order of the Arrow"

First off, congratulations on electing six Scouts to OA that allows you to nominate two Scouters. That's a lot of Scouts to send to OA. Well done!

For me OA has always been about upholding the ideals of Scouting and camping. As a Scout we used to only nominate those who were the elite campers of our troop. Back then it was a select few who got nominated. Now, like Eagle, it seems we hand this out to anyone. Personally, I would only send someone who met all the requirements (this is required by OA) AND those Scouters who demonstrated exceptional outdoorsmanship and camping. I would not send a Scouter who does not camp that often or who has less-than-decent camping skills.

My two cents.

Honestly, every single scoutmaster and ASM in our district has the lodge flap on their uniform. Whether they are active and paying dues or not.

Far as it still being the Honor society of scouting??? Every senior scout I have met seems to be a member......

so what exactly is exceptional outdoorsmanship or camping????

the primary purpose at least around here is solely free labor from both the scouts and scouters. as a scouter you also would be valued for your ability to drive, be over 18 ---> legally able to use more powetools and such, and of course donate your trade skills. electricians, roofers, cooks, carpenters etc. OA isnt about being an honor society or a sign of a competent outdoorsman. camping will likely be no more difficult than first year cub car camping.

i'm not a OA member, and i do not qualify (only been with troop for last 7 months or so, with 8 nights of camping). but.. i think lot of things that's going on around my area are missing large chunk of outdoors skills. simple things such as starting fire without match or lighter. or keeping yourself warm if you are stranded. basic skills if you get sperated from the main group on a long backpacking trip. 15 days of camping is fine and good. i know it's hard to squeeze all that in 2 yr for some people. but, at least more scouts need to know how to start fire and set up signs for rescue if they are sperated. setting simple trap and catching frogs and how to prep them if they are in for a long haul is plus. why isn't "scouting" being part of scouting any more? and no one carries 100 feet of cords any more. it's not that heavy and they come in very handy if you are stranded.

IN reality, if you submit a nomination with words written on it, it will be accepted. Labor skills are a plus, but I would consider things such as are outlined in the Obligation. How well do they "play with others", and set a good example for an Arrowman? It is the "Brotherhood of Cheerful Service"...how well do they exemplify that?

The most important thing is that the candidate sets a good example .

I was a chapter advisor for 8 years and the skills section had no bearing on aproving selection.

I did appreciate the section being filled out though. I used the information for recruiting adults for

specific events.

If we were doing a service project that would use carpentry skills it was nice to be able to be able

to target people with those skills rather than blindly asking for help.

Sometimes the chapter would put on merit badge clinics for district and it helped to know if person

was a councilor or was in a proffesion that fit or had this as an interest.

Hey everyone' date=' question for those in the know. Can the district nominate scouters for the OA? If so, I was wondering if camping requirements can be waived? I have seen conflicting reports. [/quote']

The answer to your question can be found at http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/pubs/GOA-2012.pdf on page 21. To paraphrase, the district chairman can nominate scouters ***whose primary registration is with the district*** to the lodge nomination committee and the camping requirement may be waived. If a scouter has their primary registration with a unit, this procedure may not be used for them.

Just an aside ... it would only take 4 youth elected (not 6).

BDPT00

Hmmm, our OA reps are telling us 1 adult for every three Scouts elected (unless one adult is the SM and he is not a member). I guess they are rounding up then if not a multiple of three?
Just an aside ... it would only take 4 youth elected (not 6).

BDPT00

Talked to our rep. He confirmed it is rounded up to multiples of three. So if 5 scouts you can send 2 adults + SM. If 10 scouts you can send 4 + SM.