Does your pack meet in the summer?

Come on folks....day camp is as easy as it gets...... You take a chair' date=' walk the boys from station to station and your home for dinner, shower, AC and your nice soft bed....... the thing to remember is let them be boys......Don't make them walk single file or march or walk in buddy pairs.......Let them have fun.....Bring a small ball or frisbee for slow times. One of the saddest thing I ever witnessed was a den walker who forced the boys to hold hands and walk silently station to station....Then at lunch wouldn't let them run and play the hacky sack version of dodge ball. they sat and got yelled at in the shade....great fun Far as not being able to afford it......Every council has campership money.....So there is no excuse for boys not going to camp. I have seen campership moneys go to rich folks who simply filled out the paperwork. So ask your DE or if you don't like him or if he is a do nothing call the council office and ask. MONEY IS NO EXCUSE TO MISS RESIDENT OF DAY CAMP.[/quote']

That is good to hear, we will definitely need to look into this as there are a few boys in our den whose parents stated they could not attend due to money issues. I know they covered their monthly dues, membership and uniforms so it would be great for them to help them out with this (our pack is charging $60/scout and $15/sibling for the 5 days.) Our day camp is actually 'twilight camp' and will be from 5:30-8:45pm so it should be interesting. Either the boys will be wired or tired going in (judging from events in the past at that time.) But I look forward to it and as a den walker, I shall let them proceed however they wish, long as they don't run over anyone in the process :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was looking at the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award today....and I wanted to ask others.

While I love the idea of this award....I feel like it's whole purpose is to promote, there-by raising money for, District/Council Cub Scout Resident/Day Camp.

I'm curious how others feel about the award.

I do not know about your Council, ours charges $60 for a full week of day camp. 9am -3:30 pm. Or less for a twilight 5:30-8:00. Don't see much fundraising going on with those prices. 1 night Dad and Lad or Mom and Me is $35/person. a bit more but includes 2 meals, tents and use of the camp pool. I really don't see this as a huge moneymaker for the Council.
we have one event in june and one in july. Usually bowling or laser tag or something else easy that the kids can show up to and we can have a good time no matter how many are able to make it.

Laser tag?? Might want to check out the thread below. Laser tag and paint ball are no-nos officially.

http://www.scouter.com/forum/cub-scouts/16020-laser-tag

Now, if you guys want to meet at Main Event or wherever as a group of people who just happen to be in Scouts together, that's up to you. ;)

we have one event in june and one in july. Usually bowling or laser tag or something else easy that the kids can show up to and we can have a good time no matter how many are able to make it.

Laser tag?? Might want to check out the thread below. Laser tag and paint ball are no-nos officially.

Now, if you guys want to meet at Main Event or wherever as a group of people who just happen to be in Scouts together, that's up to you. ;)

So I was looking at the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award today....and I wanted to ask others.

While I love the idea of this award....I feel like it's whole purpose is to promote, there-by raising money for, District/Council Cub Scout Resident/Day Camp.

I do not know about your Council, ours charges $60 for a full week of day camp. 9am -3:30 pm. Or less for a twilight 5:30-8:00. Don't see much fundraising going on with those prices. 1 night Dad and Lad or Mom and Me is $35/person. a bit more but includes 2 meals, tents and use of the camp pool. I really don't see this as a huge moneymaker for the Council.

"So I was looking at the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award today....and I wanted to ask others. While I love the idea of this award....I feel like it's whole purpose is to promote, there-by raising money for, District/Council Cub Scout Resident/Day Camp. I'm curious how others feel about the award...."

It's a fun award and popular with our Pack. It is true that to earn the award you do have participate in at least one official BSA resident camp or day camp event. I don't have problem with this because it is good for the boys to complete at least one requirement within the context of a larger Scouting activity and support your District. Not all of the requirements have to be done with the Den or Pack, they can also be done with your family. As far as fundraising, that depends on the District/Council running the camp and their financial needs for the coming year. Our District charges $60 for 5 days of Twilight Camp. I don't know if they make money or not because they also give out a substantial number of scholarships for boys in need to go to camp.

Since this is my first year with Cub Scouts, I asked the same question. We will meet twice in May (as normal) for den meetings, once at a Pack meet. June, we will have our cub scout day camp for 5 days. In July, I am helping organized one pack meet (water themed), so that everyone will be eligible for the Summertime award (something our pack has never did.) In August, we will have a welcome back pack meet and our den meets will resume in September with the new kids who join then. I was told although our boys earned tiger rank at B&G in February, to use these months to work on other things (electives, belt loops, awards, etc.) and save the wolf requirements for September when the new boys join (which is ok with me.) So many of our kids are in other sports or are going out of town for some of the summer - this will make sure they don't miss a ton of stuff.
Personally, I would count any electives they did in the summer as Wolf electives, not Tiger. The more Wolf electives they do, the more arrow points they earn. They get to wear the arrow points on their uniform until they move on to Boy Scouts or get the tan shirt as a Webelos II. The Tiger electives just earn you the yellow disks, which aren't worn on the uniform at any time after being a Tiger. There's nothing wrong with rewarding the boys who put their time in as Tigers and let them start on their Wolf electives, rather than holding them back because new boys will join in the fall.

Our Day Camp is $105 for the whole week. It costs way more than that to run the Day Camp, so it is not a money maker for our Council either. I think it is great that they promote the Day Camp and reward the boys who attend.
Since this is my first year with Cub Scouts, I asked the same question. We will meet twice in May (as normal) for den meetings, once at a Pack meet. June, we will have our cub scout day camp for 5 days. In July, I am helping organized one pack meet (water themed), so that everyone will be eligible for the Summertime award (something our pack has never did.) In August, we will have a welcome back pack meet and our den meets will resume in September with the new kids who join then. I was told although our boys earned tiger rank at B&G in February, to use these months to work on other things (electives, belt loops, awards, etc.) and save the wolf requirements for September when the new boys join (which is ok with me.) So many of our kids are in other sports or are going out of town for some of the summer - this will make sure they don't miss a ton of stuff.
Ah, let me re-phrase, as I didn't explain fully. When they earned the Tiger rank in February, they then continued to work on Tiger until June 1st (beltloops, electives, etc.)

After that, all activities are considered wolf (although we don't do things together at this point until September, that's what they would be marked as, I assume - our first year so still feeling all that out.) Not sure how many of our boys will actually work on stuff over the summer (beltlopops, awards, etc.) but when they attend day camp in June, its as Wolves (as we will have some new Tigers there that were recruited in the schools.) So if I mark any of that down, it will be under wolf. I love the whole arrow points idea, just need to research more on it so I understand how it works for those that do want to work on any things over the summer.

When I said 'save the wolf requirements for September' - mainly meant the requirements in the book that we'll do a majority of together (haven't fully read over those yet, need to ASAP.) I realize I clumped all that together in my reply, instead of elaborating on each part.

We will be going for the summertime award this year and I was told they would get Tiger rank for that (even though they are wolves, online and our scout shop both agree they get the rank they just came out of, not the one they are just starting.) I hope that makes sense.

Faith you are on the right track with your plan. Just realize that with your new Wolf and Bear dens they can work on electives over the summer and bank them, but you cannot award any of the arrow points until they receive the Wolf or Bear rank badge. Kind of goes against Immediate Recognition, but BSA wants you to focus on the requirements. You are smart to not work on the requirements until the school year starts as you may pick up new members. However, if you have a den plan laid out for the year there is no reason the cubs cannot get a jump on the "with your family" requirements.

The cubs need to attend all three activities for the pin, the den and pack need 50% attendance for the ribbons.

http://usscouts.org/bbugle/bb0406/bb-bl.html

Right, same way the Tiger Cub electives went (they didn't get any elective beads until the 15 achievements were completed.) Since we were so pressed for time, they did start the electives in September and got their beads for them in March after the B&G. I will mention the 'with your family' requirements but most parents will probably wait (I know my son most likely will.) As for the summertime award, we have camp in June, I myself am orchestrating a water based pack meet in July (with the support of our new cubmaster) and we will ahve a pack meet in August. He got all the requirements printed (I believe the page you linked is one of the ones I saw him have last roundtable) so we should be good to go! I know at least 3 of our 5 regulars will be coming to all 3 (they don't miss ANYTHING), so we should be good on that. As for the pack...heh, I can't speak for the other dens. Hopefully they will want to participate as well ) I was just confused on why our boys would get the Tiger pin for the summertime award, instead of the Wolf (not complaining, that will give them a chance for all of them each year if they stick with it - it just threw me off that it would still be Tiger.)

There a troops that have no meetings during hunting season, and the trailer is out getting its bearings repacked. I wonder why.