Does your pack meet in the summer?

It's an extra. Nothing wrong with having a few extras sitting around. Most parents won't care either way (you can barely get them to sew rank patches on before the next one is earned). And there are so many other "extras" floating around, its not a big deal to have yet another. And most parents and Den Leaders don't pay attention to the optional awards, anyways.

If you feel strongly about it, then try to make a Council Day Camp part of your Pack's program with a full-on recruitment, fundraising, and logistics.

Or, go for the less-money involved "Leave No Trace" award. Or if your council doesn't have decent camping available, try the Emergency Preparedness or the STEM Nova awards.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be one of the points behind it, Sqyire (never thought of it that way) but our boys chose to work on it so I figure it's for a good cause either way (some of these scouts have never slept outdoors overnight so its great to give them that opportunity.) They have already worked on the Leave No Trace award and Emergency Prepardness - we have a small group that enjoy different activities and we've managed to fit in quite a few this year. Definitely don't want to burn them out but love their enthusiasm.

Yep. We schedule one or two pack events a month. June is planned our Cub Day Camp and Webelos Camp. July and August will vary depending on what we decide, but we are planning an overnight campout. We always throw in a trip to the local pro baseball game. We keep the planning simple and low stress and the results are successful. The attendance numbers to our summer events vary but usually we can expect about 30% attendance to any one event. The Pack Summertime Award does not require a minimum number, it only requires that you plan the event and do it.

Our pack is extremely active during the entire school year, but pull back for the months of June & July. Cub scout day camp provides a low cost week of fun and scout activities for June and we usually have one family oriented event in July - a dinner then baseball game these past two; typically we begin meeting regularly again by mid-August. The reason we have opted for this method is really simple: the Adult Leaders and volunteers need that break so that they won't burn out. Meeting year round would definitely help retention with cub scouts until the leaders start dropping off and we all know how difficult that can be on a den.

June- Family picnic camping overnighter with some Troop members. Troop helps with station events and water sports.

July- Pack only on Cubmaster land. Its a potluck dish to pass, pig roast and Carnival fair of prizes. Many of the older brothers and sisters help do the different fair stands. Gotta love it when it rains and truck and cars need to be PUSHED out by many men...*laughing

August - week of Cub camp although its flexible with some staying the week while others the 4 day weekend. Our Pack makes the themed entrance. Those themed entrances really increase Cub camping!

Sqyire21, I find the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award is promoting outdoor activities, not just the requirement for Day/Resident camp. There are many kids who will just sit on their butts the whole summer. Depending on your council, the Day camps can run from 1 day to 5 days (wow Faith, I could barely handle 3 days last year, I couldn't imagine 5!) I feel that this is the main reason. It would be nice to make council camp an option rather than a requirement. The requirements are going to change because now with LNT gone and Outdoor Ethics coming in, BSA needs to put the parameters on earning the Outdoor Activity Award.

LOL, don't say that suzisk8! Since this will be my first time, I'm not sure what I can handle either (but I'll know soon enough!) ;) I volunteered for the entire 5 days, I have heard some stories from the veteran den leaders on how day camp has went in the past (the good, bad and ugly) so I'm excited to see how it pans out.Thankfully I'm pretty patient so I'm hoping with all the other volunteers this will be a successful day camp and we won't have too much on our plates.

We have regular Den Meetings + Pack Meeting in May/August

For June/July we usually do one Pack Activity each month, such as bowling or a picnic or lazer tag or some other fun activity that people can come to and participate in.

I saw some interesting points from everyone, and thanks for the thoughts.

To clarify: My pack has our cross-over/Pack meeting in early June, then we plan 2 activities for June (camp-out and local fishing event), 2 activites in July (4th of July parade and another, and 1 activity in Aug. (rocketry event last 2 years, but looking at astronomy this summer). Our den meetings usually die down, and we don't hold Pack meetings either, but we do remain active. We've earned Sumertime Activity Award last two years, and we're on schedule for our third.

We also support our district Day Camp. (which costs $150 for the week, so not all of our scouts can afford it)

With this plan, we manage to get most of our scouts the Summertime activity award, as well as the Outdoor activity award. Also, it provides two activities for each scout to choose from each month, except Aug (although we have offered to do a 2nd activity in Aug if a scout/den needs it)

Sqyire21, I find the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award is promoting outdoor activities, not just the requirement for Day/Resident camp. There are many kids who will just sit on their butts the whole summer. Depending on your council, the Day camps can run from 1 day to 5 days (wow Faith, I could barely handle 3 days last year, I couldn't imagine 5!) I feel that this is the main reason. It would be nice to make council camp an option rather than a requirement. The requirements are going to change because now with LNT gone and Outdoor Ethics coming in, BSA needs to put the parameters on earning the Outdoor Activity Award.
Do you really think the Outdoor Activity will change? LNT and Outdoor Ethics are at least the same programs...but I'm not sure I see a reason to change the Outdoor Activity Awd.

Come on folks....day camp is as easy as it gets...... You take a chair, walk the boys from station to station and your home for dinner, shower, AC and your nice soft bed.......

the thing to remember is let them be boys......Don't make them walk single file or march or walk in buddy pairs.......Let them have fun.....Bring a small ball or frisbee for slow times. One of the saddest thing I ever witnessed was a den walker who forced the boys to hold hands and walk silently station to station....Then at lunch wouldn't let them run and play the hacky sack version of dodge ball. they sat and got yelled at in the shade....great fun

Far as not being able to afford it......Every council has campership money.....So there is no excuse for boys not going to camp. I have seen campership moneys go to rich folks who simply filled out the paperwork.

So ask your DE or if you don't like him or if he is a do nothing call the council office and ask.

MONEY IS NO EXCUSE TO MISS RESIDENT OF DAY CAMP.

Our pack is extremely active during the entire school year, but pull back for the months of June & July. Cub scout day camp provides a low cost week of fun and scout activities for June and we usually have one family oriented event in July - a dinner then baseball game these past two; typically we begin meeting regularly again by mid-August. The reason we have opted for this method is really simple: the Adult Leaders and volunteers need that break so that they won't burn out. Meeting year round would definitely help retention with cub scouts until the leaders start dropping off and we all know how difficult that can be on a den.

This is where we are too. We are going to have a pool party in lieu of a June Pack meeting. Adult leader burn-out is a problem; as the same 5-6 people do everything, and we are a huge pack (110 scouts). If I don't let the leaders get a break over the summer, they will get overwhelmed. Quite frankly, if a few families went away in the summer I wouldn't complain. We live in a relatively "well-to-do" area and it is a curse. I never ceases to amaze me that the other 200 parents that don't do anything besides show up, have a sense of entitlement & will complain about the way things are run. This week my pack CC got a nasty gram because BSA policy is no alcohol at our spring camp out ... seriously? I always tell the complainers that they can have my job as cub master at anytime ... not surprisingly, I don't get any takers on my offer.

Seriously though, I love this job ... when it comes to the scouts, and some of the selfless adult leaders.