You haven't earned a rank until after board. Unless it's Eagle that occurs within the troop. One of your jobs as Advancment chair is to arrange these boards and submit unit advancement report to council.

once that is done you can get your patches .Next meeting after board is plenty immediate . If it's Eagle he's not officially an Eagle until paperwork is processed at National after his BOR.

Did you get supplied with current Advancement guide (released 2011) ?can download from National website. All you need is 3 adult members for board not SM or ASM . Our troop schedules boards as

soon as boy has finished SM conference . We recognise him immediatly and supply patch next meeting and at quarterly COH we recognise all for that time period,present mother's pin and boys pin then.

Like others suggested if you have leftover patches it's fine to give it immediatly but if not ,waiting a week is not too bad.

Our district does Eagle boards twice a month (we are a large district )

I would caution against awarding a rank or merit badge before at least entering the advancement in Internet Advancement. There have been too many cases where an unregistered Scout has been advanced and it is only caught when the Scout goes for his Eagle and council does the checking.

My Council provides free patches with Internet advancement report from BSA. HOWEVER, they will sell unit leaders (SM, CC and Advancement Chair) the patches Scout through Life. I have a "stash" of rank patches and award just-in-time right after a BOR. The boys still get a second patch at the next COH along with their card. As long as I bring a report from Troopmaster showing the awards and BOR dates my Council is cool with that. Now, I am in a BIG council and we have a few shops. The "downtown" shop is a bit more stringent on insisting on BSA Internet advancement forms. The ones outside the city are a bit more lenient.

As a Scout in the 70s our SM gave out badges as we earned them....a big reason I stayed in Scouts as long as I did. COHs were for Eagles and MBs back then. Always went to COHs because you wanted to support the guys who made Eagle...there were fewer back then. A lot fewer. ;-)

Our council provides "Free" advancement as well, there is a fantastic check sheet. Attend a Council owned summer camp, Meet your FOS financial goals and a couple of retention goals.......So I need to Over spend on a summer camp program by $50 a scout and then met the absorbent FOS goal you set for our unit.......Naw. We will just save the trouble and the money and buy the patches.
We have a supply of them from back when the Scout shop was more liberal in it's policies. Just replenish them whenever we fill out an advancement form. The Scouts love the recognition from having the physical patch the same day they complete their BOR.
I think bnelon44's idea about not giving rank patches until internet advancement is done is a good one. In the future, I will wait until I put the rank advancement into Troop WebHost (our record keeping system) before giving rank patches. That said, I can update that on my smartphone.

44 I am not talking about merit badges..... A lad can wait till the COH to be given them.

I am talking rank, Like peri, we use troopwebhost and I or the CC can enter he pasted his BOR immediately and we simply print the advancement form from the program to be turned into council.

A gain I am a member of a small troop and that maybe the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
44 I am not talking about merit badges..... A lad can wait till the COH to be given them.

I am talking rank, Like peri, we use troopwebhost and I or the CC can enter he pasted his BOR immediately and we simply print the advancement form from the program to be turned into council.

Why treat merit badges different from rank advancement in this situation? They should also be awarded at the earliest possible convenience, not just at Courts of Honor. I'm not suggesting troop stock-pile MB patches as well, but to make a scout wait up to 3 months for it doesn't sound kosher to me.

Merit badges are kinda like belt loops in cub scouting.......Kinda irrelevant in the big picture of things, when is the last time you saw a scout with a merit badge sash on running around a summer camp??????

How about a scout who wants to wear his MB sash at an Eagle CoH in a couple of weeks for a friend from another troop? Or a new scout who just completed his first merit badge... do you tell him "good job, now you have to wait three months before you actually receive the badge"? They earned it, don't make them wait for it.