Pull-ups for Tenderfoot

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It must be tough telling a kid that he'll never achieve Tenderfoot, while his buddies are all getting Eagle, just because he can't do a pull-up to some adult's expectation. It would be a shame is som

Not to go off on a tangent: As a father of a four year old, who recently graduated from potty training, every time I see this thread pop up I immediately think of the pull-ups (the diaper kind) inste

Gotta love BSA and how they are pushing ne latest fitness craze. SCOUTSTRONG anyone?

BSA first began coordinating with the Presidential fitness program in 1963, literally 50 years ago. And, yes, ScoutStrong would be a great way to help the boys improve over their 30 days.

I have had scouts that breezed through the pull-ups - I was amazed at how many they could do. And then I have a few that go from 0 to 1/2. Two of the boys that are very close to 17-18 year eagles were in the 0 to 1/2 set. And those two still can't do a pull-up. One of them has been a great youth leader, an SPL more than once, a troop guide back when we were age based, and while never an official instructor he has taught numerous skills many times. It would really be sad if this boy didn't get eagle because he never could do a single pull-up!

Once BSA works through the homosexual ... issues' date=' maybe they can tackle the pull-up issue.[/quote']

Pull-ups ARE gay.

Transgendered to be precise.

Pull-ups are not a requirement until after the "leadership skills" crowd sliced "Patrol Leader Training" off the program.

The outdoor naughty bits gone, Hillcourt's training to lead a Patrol into the woods was replaced with sedentary office theory.

You can hardly tell its fake!

Apparently you flunked Diversity Wood Badge.

Apparently you did however.

Really the first comment sound as if a 6th grader wrote it.

Otherwise it is classic homophobic stereotypes that you can demean someone.

For some reason I truly think you can run a scout PT program without this type of motivation.

• 7 months later...

My challenge with the pull-ups: We didn't have a pull-up bar for a long time. I put a removable on in our church a few years back. The church no longer allows it & removed the brackets. So, we can't work on it at the meetings, and it's not convenient for most of the boys. (And none of our trees have appropriate branches.) We need an alternative requirement, such as the number of reps lifting a 5 to 10 lbs weight, such as a gallon of water.

I have a feeling that the current requirement is inconsistently applied & in some cases ignored. We need a requirement that is more consistent and doable in a meeting and at home.

• 1 month later...

I offer no comment on the merits of the advice, but just thought folks would find this interesting because it purports to include input from the national advancement people:

http://netcommissioner.com/askandy/2014/05/issue-397-may-20-2014/

So yes, this means that, a partial pull-up, so long as the Scout has been trying and practicing for at least 30 days, is considered improvement. So is a partial sit-up or push-up. The idea is practice to improve, and so long as both of these have happened, it’s okay.

Not to go off on a tangent: As a father of a four year old, who recently graduated from potty training, every time I see this thread pop up I immediately think of the pull-ups (the diaper kind) instead of the exercise. :confused:

• Upvote 1