If the Local Option happens, how will Troops deal with practical problems?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well written Cambridge!

Sexuality and teenagers is always a volatile mix, regardless of the orientation of the teenagers.

My guess is that most Scouts and Adults would never be able to identify a closeted gay youth or parent. Those most panicked about it are homophobes looking for stereotypical "signs of gayness" (yes, I heard it called that once).

Walk though a mall on Saturday, you'll see many more sexually overt heterosexual behaviors than you will homosexual behaviors.

Gents, again, the reason for the BSA policy on homosexual members has absolutely nothing to do with safety. It has to do with self-perceived morality.
Are you sure that morality is the ONLY reason?

Why is morality "self-perceived"?

I quit a Unit..Simply because I was told It was my responsibility to teach sexual Orientation and condem Homosexuality..

Wrong as A scout Leader I am NONSEXUAL.. I am not required nor is it acceptable under BSA YP or Texas F2FYP to teach any sexual orientation..As A Scout Leader I do not teach or discuss sexual orientation, sexual techinques, sexual anything to anyone.

I am required to ensure a safe enviroment for everyone..

Adult and Youth Talking sex..NOT ALLOWED

Adults and Youth Talking Sex...NOT ALLOWED

Adults and Youths Talking Sex...NOT ALLOWED

Adult and Youths Talking sex..NOT ALLOWED

Youth and Youth talking sex...NOT ALLOWED

GROUP OF Youths Discussing Sex ....NOT ALLOWED

NO ADULT NONPARENT/YOUTH ONE ON ONE ALLOWED ANYTIME

Two Deep Leadership at all times..

Bullying by anyone for Any reason not allowed..

Why is it everyone has to over complicate everything?

If scouts want to participate in a parade...let those who wish to participate do...in proper Scout Uniform...No changes...DO NOT FORCE ANYONE WHO DOES NOT WISH TO PARTICIPATE TO PARTICIPATE

Uniform Wear.....Only wear Official Uniform...NO NONE AUTHORIZED Uniforms, Patches, Neckerkief... ETC.. No different than Now..Do we allow KKK Patches? Do we allow Black Panther Patches? Do we allow Scouts to Wear Red or Blue Bandanas? Do we Allow profanity or sexually Explicite clothing? NO we don't..The Gay Pride Solidarity Knot is not an Official BSA Knot it can not be worn..

Everyone from Troop or Patrol wears the same Neckerkief..No individual pick and choose..

Proplems will arise all the time.

During my Youth days..we camped near a (private property dump site)..several boys found Playboys and several other mens Magazines..boys will be boys...the articles were read of course..They also made great fire starters when they were found by leaders...although I do remeber the fire was burning already real well !!!..Campout was not canceled..and youth were told to stay away from the dump site. since no one brought them no one was banned.

Back in my Days we could "Snipe" hunt with the New Scouts..not allowed now days.

Single "Creepy" Leaders...Handled through exsisting policy..NO ONE ON ONE ALLOWED

DATING COUPLES sharing a Tent...Handled already through Exsisting Policy...NOT MARRIED...Adult or Youth...Not Allowed....

I am single...Girlfriend has son in Scouts...We do not Share a Tent on Scouting Events..

Here’s another question - how will councils deal with the "practical problems" if the local option gets the thumbs up?

I believe one problem that councils may run into is that they may have to adjust their summer camp program to accommodate all the diversity.

There should be an all-inclusive week of camp where everybody is welcome regardless of sexual orientation. Another week could be set aside for those against having to camp with troops that may have a gay leader or gay Scout. Another week could be exclusively for Roman Catholic troops only. The same can be done with those in-school units where the DE’s are the unit leaders. And let’s not forget the LDS units. They can continue having their own exclusive week of summer camp so they don't have to deal with those non-LDS scouters.

Yes, the councils will have to accommodate its members various likes and dislikes of each other. If they do it for the LDS, they should do it for every other group.

Boy what a hole the Irving pros have dug themselves.

Not an LDS Scouter, but to defend them on having their own weeks. It's not to avoid non-LDS troops. It is to facilitate check-in/etc. LDS troops don't camp on Sunday. They show up for summer camp on Monday, versus other units showing up on Sunday.
I for one disagree with Cambridge skip and those of you that are in agreement,

And i think that AZMike brings up some potentially big issues that could be REAL problems.

Parent hang-up, boy hang-up. Whatever.... it'll be a problem.

Well written AZMike!

You may not agree with me but just bear in mind I wrote from experience of what actually happens.
I for one disagree with Cambridge skip and those of you that are in agreement,

And i think that AZMike brings up some potentially big issues that could be REAL problems.

Parent hang-up, boy hang-up. Whatever.... it'll be a problem.

Well written AZMike!

You may not agree with me but just bear in mind I wrote from experience of what actually happens.
Gents, again, the reason for the BSA policy on homosexual members has absolutely nothing to do with safety. It has to do with self-perceived morality.
Simply put, some see homosexuality as immoral, others do not.
  • 2 weeks later...
Here’s another question - how will councils deal with the "practical problems" if the local option gets the thumbs up?

I believe one problem that councils may run into is that they may have to adjust their summer camp program to accommodate all the diversity.

There should be an all-inclusive week of camp where everybody is welcome regardless of sexual orientation. Another week could be set aside for those against having to camp with troops that may have a gay leader or gay Scout. Another week could be exclusively for Roman Catholic troops only. The same can be done with those in-school units where the DE’s are the unit leaders. And let’s not forget the LDS units. They can continue having their own exclusive week of summer camp so they don't have to deal with those non-LDS scouters.

Yes, the councils will have to accommodate its members various likes and dislikes of each other. If they do it for the LDS, they should do it for every other group.

Boy what a hole the Irving pros have dug themselves.

Not quite the same in my neck of the woods peridiochas. different experiences I have had.