What was this committee thinking?

So the National Sea Scout Committe came out with a new uniform to add to our list of possibilities a couple weeks ago. It is not a bad uniform, though it looks like a big cub scout uniform (no offence directed at cub scouts, I just want sea scouts to have it's own identity). Regardless of what the uniform looks like I don't get why they are spending time adding another optional uniform to our program when we lost 1400 scouts last year. Yes, I know earlier this year I was excited over our program having increased in numbers, well I was given incorrect info. I have now seen the actual numbers for the past 4 years, and IMO anyone who is spending time worrying about a 7th sea scout uniform needs to relook at their priorities. This is like polishing the brass while the ship is sinking. It is ludicrous.

http://newseascout.org/21-sea-scout-news/75-introducing-the-new-century-uniform

I do like the idea of people being uniform in uniform.

Something that seems to no longer being the in thing with the BSA.

There were a lot of different Sea Scout Ships wearing all sorts of uniforms.

Some just wearing the old working uniform.

Some wearing both the working and dress whites

Some wearing dress blues and whites.

Some wearing black pants and white shirts.....

And the list went on.

Of course being as Sea Scouts came under Venturing all of this was OK.

However some Sea Scouts attending big events were made to feel a little uncomfortable at times for not falling into what other Ships were wearing.

I think that it's great that the shirt and pants can be bought from stores like Wal-mart and are not going to cost an arm and a leg.

All in all I think the committee did a good job.

I can live with the traditional necker, even if worn under an open collar (West and Bill must be spinning ;) ) but the tar flap necker looks silly IMHO. I WANT MY "BUGS" BACK ON COVERS AGAIN! (yep me shouting). And glad unit numbers are back as well as the WC being worn FINALLY.

Have to agree though, need more focus on promoting Scouting's red headed step child. Kinda sad when I could count the number of Sea Scouts and leadera at the DC parade in 2010 on my fingers and toes, and the float that was suppose to have all of the Scouting's emblems on it was missing the First Class Anchor. And How many folks knew that last year was the Sea Scout Centennial fro the BSA?

• Upvote 1

Eamonn, I don't mind the uniform that they came out with. I know several ships that have worn navy blue dickies for years. My gripe is that they started looking at making a new uniform a year or two ago, and now when they finally do put one out it is just another option. Not including the ship t-shirts that most all ships have, we already had 5 youth uniforms. This is in addition to those. We also already had 5 adult uniforms. This is also in addition to those. This just makes us look even less unified. Also, the chambrays can often be found at walmart.

As of 2012 there were 6670 Sea Scouts in the country. During this past year that they have been working on this uniform our membership has gone down 5%.

While it's certainly true that Sea Scouting has problems bigger than uniforms to worry about, one of the issues the committee was undoubtedly concerned about was the coming lack of a source for white/blue "crackerjack" uniforms. The Navy no longer uses this uniform and there will come a time when the surplus and thrift shop sources will dry up.

There is just no question that the "tar flap" is plain ridiculous and should never be seriously considered by any unit. The necker is okay, if you're into that sort of thing.

Good to know that the USN will keep the crackerjack uniforms around. I've seen stuff on the introduction of the service khaki, which is apparently an optional uniform, indicating that's what would replace the whites and blues. They have gone to a blue cammie (woodland) uniform as a work uniform. I've seen sailors here wearing them around in the daytime. Funny how all the services have now not only allowed but encouraged the wear of cammo just about everywhere, including travel on commercial aircraft. Before I retired in the mid Ninties, we had just been allowed to go into a 7/11 or Publix on our way home from work wearing those.