Library of Congress Oral History Eagle Projects

The Library of Congress (LOC) under a congressional enactment is interested in having local citizens conduct and record interviews of veterans and others (e.g., Rosie the Riveter) who were directly involved in the wars of the USA. The idea is to conduct oral history interviews in a prescribed format and submit the results to the LOC for inclusion in their system. The LOC web site even has a small blurb about how this can be an eagle project. As a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and a scouter who reviews eagle project proposals for our district, I am very interested in this. Others here locally in both the veteran and scouting communities are also interested. Has anybody out there had any experience with this that they can share?

If the incoming snowstorm headed towards the northeast today doesn't turn out quite as bad as the local media seems to be gearing up for, then I should be able to tell you a bit about our first local project along these lines. I'm supposed to attend an Eagle Board of Review for a scout who performed some of these interviews with local vets. I'll bring up the Library of Congress if he doesn't.

If any Life Scouts do this for their Eagle projects, I also suggest contacting their local state archives, and if the are interviewing a WWII vet, the National WWII Museum in New Orleans. I know they, and he NC Archives actually has a "how to" guide to use.

Just don't contact New Orleans on Tuesday Feb. 12th as they will be out partying due to Mardi Gras.