Do most packs give there webelos 2 a parting gift before they crossover into a troop?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite items collected throughout my youth Scouting career are badges. I have plaques, certificates, various miscellaneous items, but the things that mean the most to me are the badges; rank, eve

Yeah, some of these examples seem larger and bulkier than what I received for my eagle rank.

Posted Images

Our long suffering Cub Master made them from practice arrows with various stripes and devices showing their "service record". Boys worked hard to earn stuff to jazz up therir arrows and my sons still proudly display them years later. However as the Pack grew she she sometimes had to make 20+ arrows! She said she stayed up late many nights but that it was a good problem to have.

Our pack has been giving those that earned it one of those store bought arrow of light plaques, with the arrow hanging below.

That's all I have seen form the Tiger and Wolf Den perspective.....

And each year, the outgoing WEBLOS2 den has given a gift to the pack..... a nice portable grille and the like.... I think that the parents have chipped in.... & I think there was also something given to the W2 den leader from the parents of the den.

At Crossover we give each Webelos either a compass, or vittle kit (depending on what was given to them at the Pack Graduation ceremony the previous May). The Webelos going to a Troop also receive Boy Scout shoulder loops, and the Boy Scout Handbook. The Troop provides the necker. Our Troop presents their necker when they are awarded their Scout patch.

This year my AOL Den is trying something new. The boys are making neckerchief slides for all of the other Dens as a way of saying "Thank You" to the Pack. Since they are the "Cobra" Den they are making snake slides. This is also completing one of the last requirements for the Artist Activity Badge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The boys get vittle kits at Pack Graduation ceremony at the end of 4th grade.

At Crossover to Boy Scouts they get a compass, new shoulder loops, and a Boy Scout Handbook.

The Troop gives them their new necker.

A Webelos Career Arrow is nice, but it will end up in a pile at the back of the closet. A good compass is something they can use, even if they do not go on to Boy Scouts.

• 2 weeks later...

We buy them a Boy Scout book and put $25 in their boy scout account. We also give them an arrow for their arrow of light. How elaborate we get varies from year to year depending on what the WLs want to do that year. The Boy Scouts give them a neckerchief and slide.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<>

Our pack generally charges $5/month in dues. For Webelos II we charge $30 which reflects the $15 Scout membership for the year + pack dues.

Personally I think there are two reasons for a gift to boys completing the AOL: 1) it recognizes the boy's achievement in completing the Cub Scout program and 2) it should give the Cub Scouts watching the ceremony the idea that they want to do that too!

In that spirit, I favor a gift of either a pocket knife or an orienteering compass, but the decision on what to do is left to the Webelos Den Leader.

One thing I did as a CubMaster that was really cool and kept me in the loop of a Scout's progress post Cub Scouts and also kept them thinking about Eagle thru Boy Scouts was this. At the AoL and crossover ceremony, I gave each of the boys a post card. It was addressed to me with a postage stamp on it that had plenty of postage to cover rises over the years. The post card invited me as their old Cub Master to their Eagle ceremony. I let them know that they could use it as a book mark thru Scouting and then when they earned Eagle, fill in the blanks and mail it to me. The text on it said this. Dear Mr. _________, this is ____________. Remember me? I was in your Cub Scout Pack 465 and crossed over to Troop ____ in 2013. I would like to ask for your attendance at my Eagle Court of Honor on ____________. Thank you and hope to see you there! As a Cub Master I did this for years and then for years and years got these cards in the mail and went to many Eagle ceremonies to watch and/or speak. Was a very powerful tool that made an impact and really set many boys on the trail to Eagle. They don't need a big gift or trophy, but instead something powerful they will hold and use as a guide toward bigger goals.

Mark Rowell

CenterTrail.com - The Most Powerful Scouting Site Builder [url=http://www.CenterTrail.com/]http://www.CenterTrail.com/[/url=http://www.CenterTrail.com/]

• 4 weeks later...