Do most packs give there webelos 2 a parting gift before they crossover into a troop?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite items collected throughout my youth Scouting career are badges. I have plaques, certificates, various miscellaneous items, but the things that mean the most to me are the badges; rank, eve

Yeah, some of these examples seem larger and bulkier than what I received for my eagle rank.

Posted Images

Pack had B&G last week. Feted the Web2's (among others) and gave them Troop Tshirts for the Troop they are entering. AoL and Crossover (OA done)is next month. Troop gives BSHandbook, new necker, loops and hat.

Presentations are a personal thing. When I was CM, I made placques for the Web2s. Cookie cut from 8" cherry trunk, woodburning tool, old broken arrow end "driven" and glued into placque. Name, date, Pack #, Webelos AoL patch glued onto placque. Looked good.

Professionally done is good, but you do pay for others efforts. It is the thought that counts.

I'll try to keep this short:

From the Pack - We are giving a plaque. We've also looked at the career Arrow idea..and I've heard of packs which out both...

The Den Leaders bought mess-kits for each of the boys making the transition (not all of them finished AoL)

The gaining Boy Scout troops are providing neckerchiefs and I believe Scout Books...

Our pack(well funded through Popcorn) usually gave the boys a compass or a BSA carbinneer depending on what the Web leaders suggested. Most of the guys got a AOL arrow and we gave out home made photo based placemats and B&G table decorations of each of the boys. I like the idea of the Scout Books (are affiliated Troop is a non-necker one) I would stay away from mess kits--boys will usually drop them in a year or so of scouting in lieu of a plastic bowl.

By the time most of our boys made it to crossover time most of them had a mess kit, flashlight, and knife.

I gave my last boys that cross-overed Boy Scout knifes at my expense. I had been with them a long time and a parent gave me a generous gift so I spent it on them. In general I left this to the mom's--who could go a little crazy some years.

I like the idea of the personalized memento especially since not all of them may go into scouts. I wrote each of my boys a note. I later heard from one mom that the boy kept out for several years--which was nice.

I'm planning for next year. So far, I am giving out arrows with advancement stripes and a plaque. I'd like to give them something else, just haven't figured out what that is. Maybe an engraved knife. Last AoL awards were arrows, neckers and epaulettes.

Our pack(well funded through Popcorn) usually gave the boys a compass or a BSA carbinneer depending on what the Web leaders suggested. Most of the guys got a AOL arrow and we gave out home made photo based placemats and B&G table decorations of each of the boys. I like the idea of the Scout Books (are affiliated Troop is a non-necker one) I would stay away from mess kits--boys will usually drop them in a year or so of scouting in lieu of a plastic bowl.

By the time most of our boys made it to crossover time most of them had a mess kit, flashlight, and knife.

I gave my last boys that cross-overed Boy Scout knifes at my expense. I had been with them a long time and a parent gave me a generous gift so I spent it on them. In general I left this to the mom's--who could go a little crazy some years.

I like the idea of the personalized memento especially since not all of them may go into scouts. I wrote each of my boys a note. I later heard from one mom that the boy kept out for several years--which was nice.

If so what do you give? Last year we gave head lamps and emergency wistle/compase combo. This year I think we are going to give the boy scout book. Is this a common practice?

Back when I was a WDL, had a very aggressive parent who complained that he was paying dues for March through May (3 months or $15) but wasn't getting anything out of it. I talked the pack committee into giving Scout Handbooks to the Webelos who were crossing over. (to give that parent his proper dues, he did volunteer to produce the AOL placques that we gave the boys, and he put a lot of effort into it).

All W2 boys get a BSA knife from the CM. I made a AoL Plaque and Arrow for those earning AoL

Heres a great example of a very low cost AoL award.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Arrow-of-Light-Arrow-and-Plaque/

I just made the plaque (not the engraving thing) Probably cost under $10 to make (I had the stain already).

The arrow was a dowel (.98) and Feathers (1.99) the sections for Paint, I already have.

I am going to woodburn the kids names onto their plaques.

Probably could make 4 out of the piece of whiteboard I had.

We give the knife to the SM at presentation time b/c they have to earn their totin chip as a scout. Motivation to get that knife and the totin chip.