Current BSA Policy Vs local option poll

Current BSA Policy Vs local option poll  

141 members have voted

1. 1.

• Current Policy
    • Local Option

I'll just leave this here.

[url=http://scoutingmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/proposed-membership-standards-resolution.pdf]http://scoutingmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/proposed-membership-standards-resolution.pdf[/url=http://scoutingmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/proposed-membership-standards-resolution.pdf]

Ugh. At least its [some] progress and the stupid local option idea got tossed? BSA.. always following, never leading (as an organization).
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sentinel947 posted the BSA release, here is the reporting from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/boy-scouts-sexual-orientation/index.html?iref=allsearch

(CNN) -- The Boy Scouts of America would no longer deny membership to youths on the basis of sexual orientation alone, but would maintain its ban on openly gay adult leaders, under a proposal it is considering, the group said Friday. The organization's executive committee made the proposal, which is expected to be presented to the Boy Scouts' voting members in May. "If approved, the resolution would mean that 'no youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.' The BSA will maintain the current membership policy for all adults," Boy Scouts public relations director Deron Smith said.

So a gay Scout can stay in, possibly a gay Venturer (I assume). They can earn Eagle (or Quartermaster, etc.). They can have the highest rank and honor - but they can't be an adult volunteer.

Baby steps, but there is an inherent contradiction here. This solves a little bit (no more PR on denying a boy his Eagle for being gay), but it won't solve the Lesbian Tiger Mom issue.

So a gay Scout can stay in, possibly a gay Venturer (I assume). They can earn Eagle (or Quartermaster, etc.). They can have the highest rank and honor - but they can't be an adult volunteer.

That don't make no sense. He's a whole enough person to Eagle but not to volunteer?

This change, if approved, will call the bluff (or non-bluff) of the Chartered Orgs who threatened to pull if any out gays were allowed in. It will also continue to piss off adults and corporations who see BSA as still discriminating. So once again, BSA has sort of done nothing, if approved.

Read the numerous comments on Bryan on Scouting on Facebook, as well as the comments directly on the Scouting Magazine site. Almost all are agreeing that this resolution is almost laughable and nothing more than trying to please everybody. Just do not know how much longer I can work in the trenches with the constant shadow of this foolishness over my head. But,will continue to try and simply do the program on the unit level and try to keep the politics at bay.

I agree, a completely absurd resolution. Written by total cowards. Why not give the delegates a resolution worth voting on? Maybe because they knew it would pass and anger the conservatives?

I was afraid that the resolution would be a complete cop out. Cowards.

Where do I congratulate BSA on this exceptional punt?

There ought to be two resolutions: one for youth and one for adults if they are too afraid to simply have a resolution banning the use of sexual orientation as a reason to deny membership in non-1st Amendment protected units.

This is a proposed resolution. Does that mean this is the only resolution?

Based on every description I've heard so far, yes. The options to presented in May to the voters are adapt this new resolution as written or maintain all current policies without modification.

Youth Study Group

The Youth Study Group (teens 16 to 18) was charged with listening to the voice of youthâ€â€both current members and nonmembers. Harris Interactive was contracted to survey both current youth members as well as general population teens. Key findings include:

Among general population teens and Boy Scouts and Venturers alike, a majority oppose the current Boy Scouts of America membership policy.

A majority of Boy Scouts and Venturers oppose allowing chartered organizations to follow their own beliefs if that means there will be different standards from one organization to the next.

According to a majority of current Boy Scouts and Venturers, the current policy does not represent a core value of Scouting.

The Old Goat Patrol never fails to throw Boy Led out the window at every opportunity.

Statistics being what they are, survey results are summarized at http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/MembershipStandards/Resolution/Summary.aspx.
Youth Study Group

The Youth Study Group (teens 16 to 18) was charged with listening to the voice of youthâ€â€both current members and nonmembers. Harris Interactive was contracted to survey both current youth members as well as general population teens. Key findings include:

Among general population teens and Boy Scouts and Venturers alike, a majority oppose the current Boy Scouts of America membership policy.

A majority of Boy Scouts and Venturers oppose allowing chartered organizations to follow their own beliefs if that means there will be different standards from one organization to the next.

According to a majority of current Boy Scouts and Venturers, the current policy does not represent a core value of Scouting.

Tried to post this here once but failed.

The old Goat Patrol never fails to throw Boy Led out the window at every opportunity.

This is exactly what a "cop out" looks like. The majority of youth wants change so the BSA recommends allowing in gay Scouts. The majority of leaders support the current policy so they recommend keeping the ban on gay Scouters. So basically there is no change other than a gay youth can't be denied Eagle Scout. Then what? That gay Eagle Scout must promptly leave the premises because their homosexuality is abhorrent?

So a core value of Scouting is that gay youth are welcomed with open arms. But once you are an adult you are persona non grata. That makes no sense at all to anyone: conservative, mainstream or liberal.

How did this recommendation make it out of committee? Certainly the evangelicals must find it unacceptable to condone any homosexuality, even by youth. I thought their stance was that they were going to shut down their scouting program and burn all the unit possessions in the church parking lot if the BSA changes anything.