1. 1.

• Current Policy
    • Local Option

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD

I understand your feelings and it really is sad that certain parents rather destroy an entire unit then to just move to another one that fits their own narrow views. IMO scouting would run a whole lot better without parents who feel they are allowed to be real PIA's just to get their own way.

Boy, you have a peach of a parent there, BD. IT sounds like he was calculating that it would destroy the two units ahead of the BSA vote. And he will probably quit scouting if the local option is enacted.

What are the chances the COR takes no action until the local option issue is decided?

[TABLE=align: right]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]

"Current BSA Membership Policy[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This was emailed out from our council ofice today as a reiteration of current policy, before the coming "survey":

While the BSA does not proactively inquire about the sexual orientation of employees, volunteers, or members, we do not grant membership to individuals who are open or avowed homosexuals or who engage in behavior that would become a distraction to the mission of the BSA. Scouting believes same-sex attraction should be introduced and discussed outside of its program with parents, caregivers, or spiritual advisers, at the appropriate time and in the right setting. The vast majority of parents we serve value this right and do not sign their children up for Scouting for it to introduce or discuss, in any way, these topics. The BSA is a voluntary, private organization that sets policies that are best for the organization. The BSA welcomes all who share its beliefs but does not criticize or condemn those who wish to follow a different path."":

"

But do the "vast majority" of parents the BSA "serves" approve of a membership policy that requires every troop and pack to exclude gays and athiests? Sure doesn't look like it does it? I have said before I think it has always been this way. The majority of BSA adult volunteers and parents don't like this policy. And this after years of these people leaving the BSA, some forced out, because of this membership policy.
What is a bible thumper?

Barry

naw....this gentleman carrys a bible everywhere. He will flip to a page and quote from it when it supports his argument; He has been know to pound it on the table at church meetings to emphasize his point.

So guessing old simmons is far right......

For the record the Mr. J is a better person and human being than bible thumping Mr. D who has never volunteered at the food bank or community meal....Never a conservation project or any community service......Other than they should get off their lazy asses and get a job.....Other than carrying a bible you would never guess he is a christian.....

So, Has Smith College in Northampton, Ma ever been sued for sex discrimination?

“They didn’t go to Smith†“Go to Smith, she couldn’t even spell itâ€Â…

Or the Catholic Church, as they don’t ordain women as Priests, have they been sued for sex discrimination?

After all the pleas for the Local Option, why has no one ever mentioned the CO being sued until now?

Old simmon isn't all that enlightened and fears what he doesn't understand or even cares see the other side. Not that long ago folks would not marry or rent to mixed race couples.....This isn't all that much different. Regardless of what you believe, gay and lesbian folks are decent folks too....There are the idiot dirt bags just like hetero...types......

Just curious about a couple of things

1. How do you conduct "scouts own" services and teach scouts to be reverent using the term "Bible Thumpers"?

2. Trying to understand the adherence to safe scouting guidelines on shooting sports yet your units disregarded BSA policy on gays for the past 5 years.

Just looking for clarification

Just curious about a couple of things

1. How do you conduct "scouts own" services and teach scouts to be reverent using the term "Bible Thumpers"?

2. Trying to understand the adherence to safe scouting guidelines on shooting sports yet your units disregarded BSA policy on gays for the past 5 years.

Just looking for clarification

It is good to be called out by a cub scout parent with 3 posts. Your opinion is uniformed......Our council was one of the ones that had a don't ask don't tell policy till this blew up recently.

Pretty simple my man......People are not guns and the guy I know and have spent many nights in the woods and at other scouting events is not a threat.

When I met the man I had no clue he was gay....He became a friend and I determined him to be a great guy interested in the program and making scouting a great experience for his son. When I found out it was too late we were friends and even my ignorant anti gay bias was broken. He was just another guy raisin a son not that unlike me.

So how well do you know your fellow scouters??? How many of them are divorced? what was the reason for the divorce???? Cheating on the spouse??? Beating the spouse????? Are you sure they are not gay or lesbian???? how do you know????

Knowing the Parent involved it was hatred or vengeance....my post from earlier this morning disappeared......

But the family are bible thumpers....Oddly they have known about the gay leader for 5 years and did nothing till lastt sunday when they went to the COR. So instead of moving their scout to a unit that meets their moral standards, cough cough, they are going to destroy two units.

The parent that started this is one of those that asked why the cub scouts don't go to the local conservation club for youth day, we can't because cubs can't shoot rifles or shotguns and you could take your scout on your own. Goes to the IH and complains we arent active enough....really??? When asked to plan or chair the event they are too busy or some other excuse.

Your post from earlier in the morning can be viewed by selecting the 'Latest Activity' button at the top of this page. I'm not sure how long it will remain available for view but I just found it there, ICAII.