Camp Orr 2013

Our troop is headed to Camp Orr in Arkansas this summer. Was wondering if anyone has been there before. The Leader Guide looks pretty good but was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with the camp. Good staff? MB program? Stuff to do near by or on the way there (coming from North Texas), etc?

Any insight would be welcome.

I can tell you it is hot and very humid.

I've done Texas in the summer and grew up going to Goshen in VA, so the three H's (hazy, hot and humid) are familiar friends. The river will offer some relief I am sure. In Texas you can escape the 102F heat by jumping in the 84F water...yuck! No thanks!

I hear good things about the camp and it comes highly recommend from folks in my area who also rated camps like Alexander, Tres Rios and Daniel Boone quite high. Hoping it is a good choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Been there once during an off season visit. Check first and last day policies regarding getting gear in and out. It is an unbelievable trek on a gravel road down a very steep grade. We were told to stop the cars in a specific spot to cool the brakes and when heading out to use low gears. We had to do both of these. The camp is on a beautiful river with wonderful cliffs surrounding it. We took a troop there in Spring to do a float on the Buffalo River. Would highly reccommend that.

Been there once during an off season visit. Check first and last day policies regarding getting gear in and out. It is an unbelievable trek on a gravel road down a very steep grade. We were told to stop the cars in a specific spot to cool the brakes and when heading out to use low gears. We had to do both of these. The camp is on a beautiful river with wonderful cliffs surrounding it. We took a troop there in Spring to do a float on the Buffalo River. Would highly reccommend that.
Could you get a trailer with electric breaks up/down that hill?
Yes, I think you will be fine with the trailer. Just make sure the driver is aware of

the road and takes his time stopping in the designated spots to cool the brakes. If you could, you should go see the camp in the spring and do a float on the Buffalo river. Very nice river in the SPRING. Dries up in the summer and can't float as well. Camp Orr will let you stay there during the off season if you are on a boy scout function and call in advance to schedule.

Thanks for the help. We are looking forward to it. I hear that Orr is a tough camp to get in to usually (or maybe that was Pioneer) for out-of-council troops. Did not want to travel too far this year (done NC and NM the last two years and wanted something a day's drive away). Going to hit Route 66 and visit that soda shop with the big soda on in OK on the way home. Boys and soda and a long trip...probably not a great combination. ;-)
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's hoping this actually replies, already failed miserably twice elsewhere.

Last summer, our troop went to Camp Orr. It looked great from the leader guide. It had places and activities I was familiar with from my time as a scout. We signed up, had a group staying in camp and a group doing their high adventure - really their cornerstone. the HA trek chosen was the canoe trek. then the warnings started rolling in.... severe drought.... water levels might not be high enough to canoe the whole distance. by a week prior, the trek was aborted completely (no fault of the staff) and our crew was offered the alternative which was to backpack that same distance. this wasn't an option for us, might as well call our guys tenderfeet.... backpackers they are not (at least not this oldest set). they did go some, three days. i was set to be in base camp anyway with the other part of the troop. what was there was fine, nothing spectacular, nothing different from any other merit badge camp. the river running right beside camp was low and slow moving. slow moving enough that growth was occurring, not particularly appealing.

oh.... and it's in a national park, so it would seem that rifles and shotguns are completely taboo.... so shooting sports were air rifles and archery. if you can roll the dice and get the canoe trek, take it. otherwise, go elsewhere.

Here's hoping this actually replies, already failed miserably twice elsewhere.

Last summer, our troop went to Camp Orr. It looked great from the leader guide. It had places and activities I was familiar with from my time as a scout. We signed up, had a group staying in camp and a group doing their high adventure - really their cornerstone. the HA trek chosen was the canoe trek. then the warnings started rolling in.... severe drought.... water levels might not be high enough to canoe the whole distance. by a week prior, the trek was aborted completely (no fault of the staff) and our crew was offered the alternative which was to backpack that same distance. this wasn't an option for us, might as well call our guys tenderfeet.... backpackers they are not (at least not this oldest set). they did go some, three days. i was set to be in base camp anyway with the other part of the troop. what was there was fine, nothing spectacular, nothing different from any other merit badge camp. the river running right beside camp was low and slow moving. slow moving enough that growth was occurring, not particularly appealing.

oh.... and it's in a national park, so it would seem that rifles and shotguns are completely taboo.... so shooting sports were air rifles and archery. if you can roll the dice and get the canoe trek, take it. otherwise, go elsewhere.

Thanks for the note. According to the current hydro tables they are getting plenty of water this year. Not doing any HA stuff...all new Scouts mostly since most of our guys are doing Philmont this summer. Thanks!

Water levels are MUCH better this year, as in northern Arkansas we've had a wet winter and a wet spring so far. When the Buffalo National River (which runs right through Camp Orr) is running (and everything else isn't drought-stricken, too), it's a blast at Orr. Climbing to Antenna Pine, Canoeing and Swimming and Fishing (for our beautiful native Smallmouth Bass) in the Buffalo is awesome. We have had two bad drought-stricken summers, and that has affected Orr, but it is looking positive for good water this year in camp season (June, mostly).

• 11 months later...

Figured I would respond to this thread with how Camp Orr was in Summer 2013 in case anyone searches for later info. ;)

Camp was nice. Very much like Daniel Boone. Good quality camp, staff and program. Facilities were good. Only down side is that it was wet. Damp most of the time. But that's summer camp for you. All my Scouts and Scouter would recommend it.

One word of caution is the hill going in to camp. It is VERY steep so don't over pack your trailer or cars. A bus won't make it there unless it is carted in on a Huey. ;)

Figured I would respond to this thread with how Camp Orr was in Summer 2013 in case anyone searches for later info. ;)

Camp was nice. Very much like Daniel Boone. Good quality camp, staff and program. Facilities were good. Only down side is that it was wet. Damp most of the time. But that's summer camp for you. All my Scouts and Scouter would recommend it.

One word of caution is the hill going in to camp. It is VERY steep so don't over pack your trailer or cars. A bus won't make it there unless it is carted in on a Huey. ;)