Let's put the God/morality issue to rest

>>You still aren't getting it; I'm not addressing the BSA, I'm addressing YOUR rationalization for the BSA's exclusion of atheists, which can't be right because the BSA doesn't exclude other people for the same reasons -- only atheists.<<

How is that different from my morning coffee analogy?

Hey Merlyn, the BSA doesn't care whose god the scout uses, even if he make it up along the way. It's that simple. I can see how putting a omniscient rock obove an athiest could be degrading, but as I asked before, who is to say the rock doesn't speak?

You need to make up something new for the BSA to look evil. Oh sorry, I mean, mean.

>>Uh, nobody said "incapable". I'm capable of sticking peanuts up my nose,<<

I'm sure you are, but that comment wasn't a reference to you the athiest, it was in reference to NJ who believes god created the universe and then packed out. Does that make NJ a diest?

Barry

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"How is that different from my morning coffee analogy?"

Besides entirely?

"Hey Merlyn, the BSA doesn't care whose god the scout uses, even if he make it up along the way. It's that simple"

Which means your excuse for why the BSA excludes atheists (they don't have an "untouchable source of moral direction") doesn't work, because, as you yourself say, the BSA allows scouts who make up a god along the way. So it's OK to make up a god and morals, just not OK to skip the imaginary middleman and make up morals. But that still contradicts your initial reason for the BSA's exclusion of atheists. You're now admitting that a scout can make up a god, instead of requiring an "untouchable source of moral direction".

"I'm sure you are, but that comment wasn't a reference to you the athiest, it was in reference to NJ who believes god created the universe and then packed out. Does that make NJ a diest?"

I'd call him that, but it's probably better to ask him, not me. But NJCubScouter didn't say his god was incapable of a relationship with man, either.

>>Yes, how is a made-up god an "untouchable source of moral direction" when the scout can just change his god's mind the next day?<<

God's mind didn't change, the scout's understanding of god's wisdom changed from his daily experiences of life. That is why the BSA program is such a great experience.

Barry

Just to note: color, per se, doesn't really exist. Color is merely the way humans (and evidently some other animals) interpret different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. It is a human (animal) perception. We don't really even know if what Merlyn 'sees' as red is the same 'red' that Eagledad 'sees' when both of them observe the same wavelength of electromagnetic radiation.

>>Yes, how is a made-up god an "untouchable source of moral direction" when the scout can just change his god's mind the next day?<<

"God's mind didn't change, the scout's understanding of god's wisdom changed from his daily experiences of life."

No, it's MY example. If you want a scout to use YOUR example, you need to create your own, new, example. In MY example, the scout changes his god's mind the next day. And that's just fine with the BSA, apparently.

YOU again are trying to impose an "unchangable" god, because that fits YOUR theology; you can't impose YOUR restrictions on OTHER PEOPLE'S gods. Other people can have gods whose minds get changed by humans, and you can't say otherwise. Get your own god.

>>In MY example, the scout changes his god's mind the next day. <<

Impossible, God is unchangable. Man is flawed and changes her mind all the time.

>>Other people can have gods whose minds get changed by humans, and you can't say otherwise.<<

That's not god, that's the alter ego trying to beef up insecurities caused from being raised by angry atheist fathers. Scouting can help that kid.

Barry

"Impossible, God is unchangable."

There you go again, telling other people what their god MUST be like, because YOU insist on what THEIR theology MUST BE.

"That's not god"

Yes, it is. Other people can have gods whose minds are changed by humans. Who resigned and made you Pope?

"that's the alter ego trying to beef up insecurities caused from being raised by angry atheist fathers."

You forgot "cheapskate Jews" and "lazy blacks" in your insulting stereotype.

So what does Flagging do? Does it go on your Permanent Record?

I just posted 3 comments and they just endlessly sit there with a pop-up saying "Working..."

Some of the threads show that there are long threads with current posts today, but they the thread only shows 1 page and nothing current. You have to use the Filter drop down to find the most current post.

If I leave this forum, it won't be because of the incivility and personal invective (that just makes it feel like one of my family reunions), but because you can spend 10 minutes typing a response and have it vanish into the electronic aether.

I have no idea if this post wll make it. It's like a message in an electronic bottle.

AZMike, as you well know, EVERYTHING that goes onto the internet is part of your 'Permanent Record', lol. BTW, good luck on finding that photo of me and my buddies in embarrassing Halloween costumes from 1979.

As for the complaint desk, that is a good comment and I hope you repeated it to the appropriate thread for those things....if you could get it to 'work'.

My solution has been to hit the 'Post' button and then do something else for about 5 minutes. Then I just hit the 'refresh' button on the browser and usually the post is right there where I expected it to be. I do sympathize with the bewildered feelings of navigating this new site. But isn't that part of the adventure??

P.S. Your family sounds interesting. Do they come armed?