Let's put the God/morality issue to rest

"Merlyn, you're not paying attention."

Yes, I am. You're clearly bigoted against atheists.

"]Someone who is truly atheist cannot, by definition, respect the beliefs of others"

Someone who is truly Jewish cannot, by definition, respect the beliefs of others.

Someone who is truly Catholic cannot, by definition, respect the beliefs of others.

Someone who is truly Muslim cannot, by definition, respect the beliefs of others.

Bigot.

You are a PERFECT example of how the BSA encourages bigotry against atheists. And people criticized ME for removing school-sponsored BSA units...

Merlyn, there is a distinction between saying that someone "cannot, by definition" on the one hand, and "is incapable of" on the other. I suspect jrush would say that if an atheist were truly respectful of other's religious beliefs, he would cease to be an atheist. You may, of course, disagree with his definition of "atheist" but I don't think it's an unreasonable one ... and rather than pointing out how he is wrong, by showing how an atheist CAN respect the beliefs of others while remaining an atheist, you accuse him of bigotry (which at this point has become a bromide in this forum, at least when it comes from you).
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"]Someone who is truly atheist cannot, by definition, respect the beliefs of others"

Someone who is truly Jewish cannot, by definition, respect the beliefs of others.

Someone who is truly Catholic cannot, by definition, respect the beliefs of others.

Someone who is truly Muslim cannot, by definition, respect the beliefs of others.

Bigot.

You are a PERFECT example of how the BSA encourages bigotry against atheists. And people criticized ME for removing school-sponsored BSA units...

"I suspect jrush would say that if an atheist were truly respectful of other's religious beliefs, he would cease to be an atheist."

Yeah, and if Jews are incapable of being generous, a Jew who wasn't a cheapskate would (somehow) cease to be a Jew.

"You may, of course, disagree with his definition of "atheist" but I don't think it's an unreasonable one"

It's as reasonable as saying Catholic priests are child rapists "by definition".

"and rather than pointing out how he is wrong, by showing how an atheist CAN respect the beliefs of others while remaining an atheist, you accuse him of bigotry (which at this point has become a bromide in this forum, at least when it comes from you)."

And all the heaps of respect I get from you or jrush or half a dozen others. No, I'm the one always at fault, "by definition".

Bigot.

In order to counter your "definitions," one would only need to produce an example of a generous Jew or a priest who is not a child rapist. Yet you can't produce a single example of an atheist who is respectful of religious beliefs? Mind you, I'm not asking you to be that example.

Bigot.

"Yet you can't produce a single example of an atheist who is respectful of religious beliefs?"

What? When did I say I would? Oh, never.

And it might be kind of hard to produce a priest who manifestly isn't a child rapist, as people tend to keep that sort of thing a secret as much as they can.

Bigot.

Meryln, Peregrinator, and whomever it may concern:

Please keep in mind that non members who view this server can read your posts. Some of the racist and bigoted remarks being thrown around to make a point, while rhetorically are very good, don't leave a good impression on the casual observer.

If you want to argue yourselves in circles, please continue, but be aware that there could any number of people who can view this forum who can read your posts and won't pick up the rhetorical nature of your words.

Respectfully yours,

Sentinel947 (Super Moderator(Whatever that means)

Bigot.

"What? When did I say I would? Oh, never."

So you are claiming that it is bigoted to say that atheists, by definition, cannot be respectful of others' religious beliefs, but you are unwilling or unable to name a single atheist who actually is respectful of others' religious beliefs?

Bigot.

"So you are claiming that it is bigoted to say that atheists, by definition, cannot be respectful of others' religious beliefs, but you are unwilling or unable to name a single atheist who actually is respectful of others' religious beliefs?"

No. I'm saying I never said I would name such an atheist. But for some unknown reason, you are under the impression that I *can't* name such an atheist. But that's just you jumping to unwarranted conclusions.

Bigot.

"you are under the impression that I *can't* name such an atheist"

Actually, I wrote "unwilling or unable" ... I don't know which one it is. Hence it is not I, but you who is jumping to unwarranted conclusions. Maybe you're more interested in throwing around terms like "bigot" than actually showing how people are bigoted.

Bigot.

"Actually, I wrote "unwilling or unable" ... I don't know which one it is."

It isn't EITHER one.

"Maybe you're more interested in throwing around terms like "bigot" than actually showing how people are bigoted."

How would showing such atheists actually exist prove anything? Bigots aren't concerned with facts, only stereotypes. What's the point?

Bigot.

If I had a couple of tenderfoot scouts that sounded like the two of you I'd put them in the circle of death and wait for just one to stagger out (no, not really) or sit you down and make you shake hands. This falls under the category of a bad argument. Neither one of you is going to convince the other of anything. So give it up, make your peace, and move on.

Bigot.

Peregrinator, have you ever heard of evmori, a forum member who used to post fairly often?

Bigot.

No sir - I've not heard of him

Bigot.

Peregrinator, maybe I can move this argument along by saying that I am an atheist that respects the belief of others. As such, I am offended by what jrush said. Not respecting others is not part of the definition of an atheist, the only definition is a lack of belief in God. I wouldn't go so far as to call jrush a bigot for his statement, but he is certainly incorrect.

Bigot.

Tschitqui, thank you for your calm and reasoned response!