Bugle and buying a new instrument

Quite a few on ebay in the sub $50 range,http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=bugle&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Also, a bugle, trumpet, or cornet may be used to complete the bugling merit badge requirements.

1) One could even do the BMB with a French Horn.

2) Used instruments are to be found on eBay, Craigs List, from other local Scouts (find your District newsletter). I got mine from my uncle.

3) Invest in a cornet or trumpet mouth piece, ditch the bugle mouth piece. Easier on the embrochure, better tone. I recommend the Bach 12C trumpet. This will be the most expensive part of your new "hobby"

4) Take new (used ) bugle and treat it with a full scubout. If you don't have one for your frenchhorn, invest in a brush on a spring, and use detergent on the tubes, rinse well. Marvel at the amount of gunk that flushes out. Grease the tuning slide well. Bugle will then have a half tone lower range.

5) Polishing is not necessary, but if you do, dry and rub it down well and consider lacquering it. NOT polyeurathane. That peels off real quick. Use real lacquer.

6) BSA has a CD with bugle calls on it. Ask at your Scoutshop or Scoutstuff.org.

7) Branch Out: Youtube "Captain Gallant of the French Foreign Legion" and "Boots and Saddles", both old tv shows with bugle calls to emulate. The closing call on Captain Gallant is the "Tatoo".

8) When your Scout gets good (and confident) he will be much sought out by camporees, Webelos Weekends, etc. Even veteran's funerals will be glad for his talent and skill.

Good Scouting to you!

As the Dad of an Eagle Scout/music major Tubist, I'd say consult with the band director or his horn teacher first.

Horn teachers, imnsho, are notorious for being pedants about embouchure.

I know this will be anathema, but we really ought to let the youth members already on instruments do the calls ... on their chosen instruments.