Debugging and Suggestions for new SCOUTER.com

I see this software supports "sticky" topics in forums. Is this handled by any moderator?

For example, Kudu posted this topic The Patrol Method of William Hillcourt containing much useful reference information. Seems to be "sticky" topic candidate.

I guess I should unstick that thing. I still have maps left but the interest has waned. Any of you guys interested? I finally figured out how to get the USPO to allow them to be mailed as media mail. Now, if someone could tell me how to create a sub-forum...????
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Test post. Bold italic underlined text. Different fonts, sizes and colors: bigger, much bigger, smaller, tiny.   Ordered list: Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Unordered list: Item 1 Item

Test posting link.   Test uploading and inserting an attachment: [ATTACH]n21[/ATTACH]   Insert image from URL:     Net Poufank d'Vioule de, Bänk dann duurch aus et. Dall bléit mé

The speed seems.......      

I see this software supports "sticky" topics in forums. Is this handled by any moderator?

For example, Kudu posted this topic The Patrol Method of William Hillcourt containing much useful reference information. Seems to be "sticky" topic candidate.

NJCubScouter, For instance "Camping & High Adventure"

has a "Sub-Forum" listed under it,

"Equipment Reviews & Discussions"

Someone looking for equipment reviews need not sift through pages of Camping and High-Adventure discussions that have nothing to do with equipment.

So, someone who comes to Scouter.Com because they hear that the site is dedicated to William Hillcourt, should not have to sift through pages of "Lessons and questions of Scout leadership and operating troop program" to find out how to implement William Hillcourt's "Real" Patrol Method (what a Patrol does apart from the Troop).

I am having trouble posting ... just wrote a looooong post and it keeps on telling me about some string problem what not?

Edit: Logged in, logged out and seems to work now. Had it several times in the past days that I wrote something and couldnt post it.

So' date=' someone who comes to Scouter.Com because they hear that the site is dedicated to William Hillcourt, should not have to sift through pages of "Lessons and questions of Scout leadership and operating troop program" to find out how to implement William Hillcourt's "Real" Patrol Method (what a Patrol does apart from the Troop).[/quote']

Well... I definitely do see your point about the tag-line of the current Patrol Method forum. On the other hand, and I'll say this as gently as possible, and the opinions I express are my own: I don't think we want to be using the "structure" of the forum to express a viewpoint as to whether the BSA has strayed from the methods that you or anyone else think it should be using - or on any other subject. You can say that all you want in your posts (and you do), and the rest of us are free to agree, partially agree, disagree, or whatever. But I don't think the names of forums and sub-forums should be used to "make a point". On the other hand, I think you would have a valid argument that in light of the issues that you constantly raise in this forum, the current tag-line does exactly that, by emphasizing the "troop" rather than patrols. I believe all (or almost all) of the main forums and their tag-lines were in place when I got here 11 years ago. I don't know who wrote them, though I could take a guess. I do not think any of them were written to "make a point", but rather in an effort to describe the particular forum. In that light, I think this particular tag line could use rewriting. In fact, I think it would be reasonable to change the title of the current "Patrol Method" main forum to something like "Troop and Patrol Operations" (or "Organization"?) with a tag line something like "Discussions of troop and patrol structure and programs", and then a SUB forum under that, "The Patrol Method". Maybe you don't think that's enough, but that's what I would suggest.

But here's the thing: 1, I don't know how to do any of that; 2, As far as I know, I don't even have the "buttons" to do that, 3, Even if I resolved #1 and 2, I still wouldn't do it on my own, I think it would require a discussion among the moderators and perhaps the forum owner as well. (And keep in mind, I am one of the "newbie" moderators here.) But now that I have raised it here, let's see what happens.

In theory "Leadership Development" is a separate Method of Scouting, so it should have it's own forum:

"Leadership Development: Lessons and questions of Scout leadership and operating Troop program".

The correct tagline for the Patrol Method in a Website dedicated to the memory of William Hillcourt would be:

"The Patrol Method: What a Patrol does apart from the Troop"

With at least two sub-forums:

William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt's Patrol Method.

and

Lord Baden-Powell's Patrol System

There are now two (2) Baden-Powell Scouts associations in the United States. A Baden-Powell sub-forum might help with the steep learning curve any American must master when transitioning from BSA Scouting to Baden-Powell's system.

As for forums "making a point," the term "Real" Patrol was Hillcourt's term. It seems provocative only because, and I'll say this as gently as possible, Hillcourt never dreamed that Wood Badge would intentionally destroy his life's work.

I am having trouble posting ... just wrote a looooong post and it keeps on telling me about some string problem what not?

Edit: Logged in, logged out and seems to work now. Had it several times in the past days that I wrote something and couldnt post it.

Happens to me all the time, berliner. It seems most likely to happen when I have written a long post, but I am not sure if that is a function of number of lines (or words), or of time. I know of at least one other forum I have participated in where the "comment" function times out without telling you, and while you are still logged in. Something similar seems to happen here. But I find, as you did, that when I get the error message, if I "copy" the text of my post, log out, then log in again, it works. I also find it works best if I am posting in "Posts" view rather than "Latest Activity" view. For some reason the system is finicky about trying to post in "Latest Activity" view, at least for me.

Same here. It seems like there is a 'timer' on the composition of posts. Better keep this one short.

Does the auto-save function work for you? It often asks me to save or discard old drafts from previous days.

"Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard. "

Work around for the "time out" ::: Write your loooooong response/diatribe/rant/discourse/lecture on a seperate page in your home "documents", then "copy " it and "Paste" it in to the forum response. Do not do any fancy capitols or colors or differences in type face or size. They MAY gum things up.

Has worked for me.

Work around for the "time out" ::: Write your loooooong response/diatribe/rant/discourse/lecture on a seperate page in your home "documents", then "copy " it and "Paste" it in to the forum response. Do not do any fancy capitols or colors or differences in type face or size. They MAY gum things up.

Has worked for me.

That is what I do too... when I remember to do it.

At the bottom of the "About" section on User Profiles there are links:

As you can see one of those links is "Find all blog entries" and another is "Find all group topics."

Under the "Help" tab in the bottom right corner it says: "To create a new blog, just go to the Blogs tab and right underneath the Blogs tab in the main navigation is the option to Create a New Blog." Where is this blog tab?

The same with the groups: "Go to the Groups page and on the module that is displayed, click the '+ Create Group' button." Where is this groups page? --Roy

• 4 months later...

I'm seeing problems which seem to be cause by a rather short "time out" function or maybe I'm just being dropped I've not bee able to tell how much time you have before you are automatically logged out. If this is an in activity issue, apparently the system doesn't recognize typing a response as an activity, as I've been dropped while still typing a response.

What I have noticed is while writing a response I'll frequently see the auto saved box light up in the bottom right corner. After some period of time, that stops and I get a "server error" box which requires me to click ok in the box then click back on the text I was writing. I've also noticed that when I try to post while this is going on, my response doesn't get posted. I have to log out then log back in to resolve this.

Is this how it is supposed to work? Shouldn't we get an inactivity warning before being logged out or at least a message that we have been logged out due to inactivity?

Anyone else having similar issues?

I'm seeing problems which seem to be cause by a rather short "time out" function or maybe I'm just being dropped I've not bee able to tell how much time you have before you are automatically logged out. If this is an in activity issue, apparently the system doesn't recognize typing a response as an activity, as I've been dropped while still typing a response.

What I have noticed is while writing a response I'll frequently see the auto saved box light up in the bottom right corner. After some period of time, that stops and I get a "server error" box which requires me to click ok in the box then click back on the text I was writing. I've also noticed that when I try to post while this is going on, my response doesn't get posted. I have to log out then log back in to resolve this.

Is this how it is supposed to work? Shouldn't we get an inactivity warning before being logged out or at least a message that we have been logged out due to inactivity?

Anyone else having similar issues?

I am having the same issue