Debugging and Suggestions for new SCOUTER.com

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Test post. Bold italic underlined text. Different fonts, sizes and colors: bigger, much bigger, smaller, tiny.   Ordered list: Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Unordered list: Item 1 Item

Test posting link.   Test uploading and inserting an attachment: [ATTACH]n21[/ATTACH]   Insert image from URL:     Net Poufank d'Vioule de, Bänk dann duurch aus et. Dall bléit mé

The speed seems.......      

This site needs some real work done, unable to post due to errors that are not even applicable. What is going on Terry? Are you selectively preventing certain members from posting on this site? My last three posts would not post due to a image error, what the heck is that? Fix this already Please!!!

Is anyone able to page through the Order of the Arrow topics? Every time I try, I get the following message:

Error

Unable to contact server. Please try again.

If this error continues please contact the site administrator.

Another couple of bugs while I was browsing this thread and then attempting to post this comment...

1. When I clicked on the ‘go to first new post’ on the sub-forum page, I was taken to the first post in the thread. (I waited to be sure the thread was finished loading.)
  2. The first page shows only 16 pages of thread posts, but the last page shows there are 17.
  3. After logging in, when I was trying to type in the quick post field to note the two bugs above, my quick post Auto-saved, then what I was had just typed disappeared and I was unable to bring it back up. (I have resorted to typing this up in Word then doing cut-and-paste to post it.)
  4. The whole reason I browsed this thread was to see the latest comments/posts. The front page indicated there was a post by SRBeaver in the thread from yesterday (8/6/2013), but I don't see it anywhere.
  5. Another bug came up when I posted. My post was put in position 241 at the bottom of page 16 when I clicked on Post Reply, but when I came back into the thread to edit (to add this bug), it is in the prper location (post 242) on page 17 - which can still only be reached by going to page 16 from page 1, then on to page 17.

Is anyone able to page through the Order of the Arrow topics? Every time I try, I get the following message:

Error

Unable to contact server. Please try again.

If this error continues please contact the site administrator.

It only does it on page 2 for me, once I get past page 2 it works fine. The Patrol Method forum is having the same problem. Can somebody please find a way to fix this?
  • 2 weeks later...

Help!! How do you start a new topic? I have pressed the new topic button till I'm red in the face! While I'm at it why do I have to go to the top of the page to go to the next page. Please Help!! Ea.

Help!! How do you start a new topic? I have pressed the new topic button till I'm red in the face! While I'm at it why do I have to go to the top of the page to go to the next page. Please Help!! Ea.
I do not have new topic problem. Try logging out closing your browser and logging back in.

Although I can name them it seems some of the forums are set up differently. I have noticed some have "page 1 2 3 4". At the bottom and some do not.

My biggest problem is deleting all my RETURN keys so my posts end up one big paragraph and I cannot edit a post only a comment,

Ya there is some sort of a weird time out thing that happens especailly if you type a long response

log out and back in then paste the response where it goes.

• 3 weeks later...
I see this software supports "sticky" topics in forums. Is this handled by any moderator?

For example, Kudu posted this topic The Patrol Method of William Hillcourt containing much useful reference information. Seems to be "sticky" topic candidate.

Thanks. I was also thinking along the lines of a Patrol Method "sub-forum."

Scouter.Com is dedicated to William Hillcourt. It should be the repository of "How-To" implement Hillcourt's "Real" Patrol Method, before such knowledge passes from living memory.

I see this software supports "sticky" topics in forums. Is this handled by any moderator?

For example, Kudu posted this topic The Patrol Method of William Hillcourt containing much useful reference information. Seems to be "sticky" topic candidate.

Kudu, I am not sure exactly what you are suggesting. There already is a "Patrol Method" sub-forum (or forum, depending on how you look at it.) As for a "repository" of information, as you know the forum itself is mainly for discussion. I do not know whether there is a place on this site to "store" documents, and if so, how they would be linked so people could find them. There is the "NetCompass" area, but that seems to be for external links. Maybe you should contact Scouter-Terry to see what the options are.

RememberSchiff, as far as I know all of the moderators have the ability to make topics "sticky". (Or at least, I have a "button" to do it, though I have never done it, and there are some sticky topics, so I am assuming all the moderators can do it.) I looked through the forums and we seem to have three "sticky" topics: This one, which is for discussion of technical issues in the forums; the one about the passing of OGE; and the announcement about Packsaddle giving away maps, which I assume will be "unstuck" when the maps are gone. I will leave it to other moderators whether the topic in questions falls into that limited category.