Debugging and Suggestions for new SCOUTER.com

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Test post. Bold italic underlined text. Different fonts, sizes and colors: bigger, much bigger, smaller, tiny.   Ordered list: Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Unordered list: Item 1 Item

Test posting link.   Test uploading and inserting an attachment: [ATTACH]n21[/ATTACH]   Insert image from URL:     Net Poufank d'Vioule de, Bänk dann duurch aus et. Dall bléit mé

The speed seems.......      

Yah, most of da time I can't post because I keep gettin' the JSON error qwazse is talking about. Something about "unexpected character". Really annoyin' after typin' a long message.
I get the JSON error about 25 percent of the time I try to post. Yesterday I got a new one, "You are not authorized to post this message." I wanted to ask it, who is authorized to post the message I wrote, if not me? But it's just a computer, so I figured I probably wouldn't get a response.

On the positive, evertime I log in I'm seeing something new.... Maybe I'm just missing stuff, but it looks liek you are making improvements and getting it squared away! Thanks

Question -- where is the button to start a new topic?

Problem -- some threads, like this one, still don't show a second page. Shows "page 1 of 1" . When you manually enter a "2" it will re-calculate and show the second page. This seems to have been fixed on some threads/forums.

Preference -- I liked the old function of providing links by page number next to the main link to the first page of the thread. This allowed me to jump to the last page I read and pick up the thread. Now I have to go to page one of a thread, figure out how many pages there are and go from there. This is difficult now since the number of posts apparently counts comments, and in light of the above problem.

Opportunity -- Forget who was asking this, but if you'll notice on the "active in the past 24" list, the little page icon to the left of the thread name will be blue if there are unread messages in the thread or white if you've read everything.

TERRY -- CONTINUING APPRECIATION FOR YOUR CONTINUING EFFORTS! (E92 -- yeah, I'm yellin' or whatever).

1- Thank you, thank you for volunteering time to help us unappreciative old fogies enjoy this forum.

2- When moving to the next page on a Droid,

a- There were 'Next Page' and page numbers to click on on the bottoms of each screen after the 15th post. I'm not seeing them on Chrome.

b- If I used the 'Next Page' buttons, I always came up at the bottoms of the next page, and had to scroll to the top (Sometimes that was a lot of finger swiping) to read on.

I really liked the way the old forum moved form the bottom of one page to the top of the next. NOT COMPLAINING! Just feedback.

3- Thanks to my other forum buddies for adjustment tips. Especially the '40 topics' per page tip.

4- Instead of being offered "Activity in the last 24 hours"? Could we make it "Activity in the last Week"?

NOOOOOOO! (Waving arms, throwing body in front of keyboard.)

Leave the "Last 24" function alone! Add a "last week" sort, but the "last 24" works well.

Sometimes, but not all the time, when I click Post Reply, it gives me a warning that the existing reply will be replaced, and asks me if I want to continue anyway. I have been clicking Yes, but I cannot figure out what reply is being erased, if any. I have not noticed any of my own posts missing. I hope I am not erasing anyone else's posts.

Also, I was using Internet Explorer for a couple of other sites and realized IE was running pretty slowly for them too -- not "freeze" slow, but still annoyingly slow, like instead of responding to a click in a half-second it takes five to ten seconds, which if you add all the clicks together, adds up to Way Too Slow. This is one of the reasons I switched from IE to Firefox in the first place. So some of my slowness problems with this site may be the browser -- but that doesn't really help me, since as I said before, Firefox isn't working for me on this site. I find that pretty odd, especially considering that at least one other person has said that this site works for them in Firefox but not in IE! (And before anyone suggests Chrome, I have my issues with that one too.)

Personally, I would like to see another category in the forum...classifieds. I think that we could benefit from both private and commercial classifieds to seek out equipment and uniforms that we need, as well as giving us an opportunity to recycle equipment and uniforms that we have in excess.

Just a thought...

1) Still very slow.

2) !! Where is the function to "spin off a new (related) thread)".

3) No "Scouting in the news" item (from last version).

4) I like the connected comments function ala facebook, but How To Spin Off A Related Thread??

5) Classifieds might be a nice touch for commercial stuff. Keep things seperate.

6) Still favor a Faith and Chaplaincy Forum. I believe the amount of discussion of religion / faith/ Scout's Own etc . gives proof of the legitimacy of this.

7) In the last version, we saw the page x of y counter, but it included the ability to go to the page we wished to see first ( the numbers were listed serially). This was on the "last 24 hours" list. The recounting of the whole first message is time wasting and unnecessary. List the "latest message listed" forum list, and let us avoid needing to scroll over the whole list to the "more" button.

8) The button I push for a particular action, may or may not react (change color, retract, etc.), and I may or may not get the little roundandround thingy in the upper left of my windows window. Might be nice for consistancy to see one or the other, or both together.

9) The new system is certainly colorful. And spread out. Last version was more compact. Didn't know any different then, just commenting. If THIS was the "old " system, and THAT was the "new" sysytem, would I like THAT one better? Duknow....

This is getting very frustrating. I keep trying to post in this topic and get one error message or another. Meanwhile, I seem to be able to post in Issues and Politics almost every time. Same browser, same computer, same session, different results. Let's see if this one actually posts.

Look at the "Eagle Clock" thread. I tried to comment, but received error message. I tried again, same thing. Again,and the message dissappeared,,

, same error message, and so I tried to post HERE, got the same error message HERE, all with the "working" block at the top of the page.

Came back today, all four attempts in the Eagle Clock thread were posted!

Hoo Hah! and click POST...