Debugging and Suggestions for new SCOUTER.com

1) When I opened this thread for the first time today, it hesitated, and I finally noticed that the page count was "1 of 1". Then it changed to "2 of 2" then "3 of 3" then "4 of 4" . The old system would immediately note the total page count .

2) Note the notation at the head of this page: What is a "STICKY TOPIC"?? I thought we ate the last of the "pie".

3) Is there still an archive of the old magazine? Or do we google that?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Test post. Bold italic underlined text. Different fonts, sizes and colors: bigger, much bigger, smaller, tiny.   Ordered list: Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Unordered list: Item 1 Item

Test posting link.   Test uploading and inserting an attachment: [ATTACH]n21[/ATTACH]   Insert image from URL:     Net Poufank d'Vioule de, Bänk dann duurch aus et. Dall bléit mé

The speed seems.......      

Slow response time is always frustrating regardless of where it happens. Please do keep in mind that Scouter.com is a FREE service provided out of a love for Scouting. We are probably never going to see lightening fast response time.

1) When I opened this thread for the first time today, it hesitated, and I finally noticed that the page count was "1 of 1". Then it changed to "2 of 2" then "3 of 3" then "4 of 4" . The old system would immediately note the total page count .

2) Note the notation at the head of this page: What is a "STICKY TOPIC"?? I thought we ate the last of the "pie".

3) Is there still an archive of the old magazine? Or do we google that?

A sticky topic always appears at the top of the list so it is more noticable. In many forums I frequent, the board rules are usually in a sticky.

I think we're getting there, slowly. Doesn't seem to show the entire thread unless I log in...And when posting a reply, the little tab shows up at the top and says "WORKING"...but it seems to take forever to accept my post...I give up after 30-60 seconds and have to move on... In general the site seems slow to respond to mouse clicks.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you....

I have the last 24 hours link bookmarked in my browser, but to get a useful display, I have to click the more button on the bottom. Can we make that the default display?

As for many of the problems people are seeing with the display of threads, one of the causes is that the software uses javascript to deliver the content. For a thread with 60 posts, it downloads all of them at once, and then uses javascript to populate the page numbers and order the posts. The supposed advantage to this, is it offloads some of the processing from the server to the browser. The disadvantage of this, is that it will never work correctly for some of you. It is dependent on you having the correct browser, and the correct versions of those browsers. So you either upgrade your older browser, switch browsers (if you can) or live with it. It's one of the reasons in the company I used to work for, one of the requirements of all web software was it had to be functional with javascript (and images) turned off (unless the some aspect of the application required them - then it should gracefully explain to the user). That way it would (theoretically at least) work even from an old cell phone browser.

When entering the forum just now on my iPad, I got a popup ad for an app for scouter.com, I clicked it and it took me to an app called Forum Runner for VBulletin. It costs $2, which is fine as long as it provides some advantage over the iPad's regular browser. Has anyone used this? What does it do? What do you think?

When entering the forum just now on my iPad, I got a popup ad for an app for scouter.com, I clicked it and it took me to an app called Forum Runner for VBulletin. It costs $2, which is fine as long as it provides some advantage over the iPad's regular browser. Has anyone used this? What does it do? What do you think?
Well, I decided to gamble the $2 and download the app... but I can't find scouter.com in there anywhere. I tried several different searches, but got nothing. I assume the site is "registered" with the app, because otherwise the promotional popup would not have popped up. Right? Anyone?

I like the change. It looks nice.

A few things.

1) I have posted in this and other strings before, but do not see my post in the thread. Some sort of glitch.

2) My big "want" is to be able to log in and quickly skim through the thread titles that I have not read, or that have new postes in them since I have marked everything as read. With that in mind...

a) What exactly is the link" Click Here to view active topics since your last visit (last 24 hours and before) >>" doing for me? Looking at 24 hour old posts, or looking at posts since my last visit?

b) I see no way to "mark all threads as read".

c) I don't like that this lonk sends me to a page that makes me read the entire first post of the tread. i would much rather just see the title, then if I'm interested, i could click in. Also would be nice if clicking into said thread would take me straight to the first "un-read" post.

3) another forum that I frequent, for non scouting stuff.... gives the option to view a list of the trheads with new posts in them, that I have previosly posted in. Sort of liek a favorites hit list that works out well. First I'll hit that list, then if time permits I'll click on the "new posts since my last login'.... or the other choice is "all unread posts". Again, these all link to a list of the thread titles, not to the post themselves.

Where to begin? Perhaps it's because I use Firefox 18, but lots of things don't show up correctly.

None of the tags seem to work (url, color and size in the post above, for example, as well as quote)

The number of pages in a thread seems to broken. One that claimed to have 78 posts only showed 1 page (I had set it to show 40 per page). Going to Latest Activity tab rather than Posts tab seemed to be correct. When I switched back to 10 per page, this thread for example showed 1 of 4 pages yet there were really 7 pages! There's also no way to go to the last page.

Doing a search will give results but no way to get to those actual posts, just the user or forum they were posted in.

The system is even slower than it was before which was already near painful. By far the slowest site I visit. I've given up a couple times already because it just seems to hang.

I really don't see why you didn't go with a proven forum package (eg, phpBB) that would have avoided all these headaches.

After communicating with Terry, the owner of this site, I wish to update and correct what I said before about the Forum Runner app for the iPad, which I assume also is an app for the iPhone, iPod touch, etc.

Here's the story:

This app is NOT affiliated with, subscribed to by, or being promoted by Scouter.com.

As I said earlier, the app does NOT appear to work with Scouter.com (in other words, this site cannot be accessed through the app.)

The popup I received seems to be an attempt to get forum members to bug their forum owners into signing up with the owner of the app.

Apologies for any confusion created by my earlier posts.

Agree with most of what the others have said:

Site is s-l-o-w------

Thing I thought I posted simply aren't there next time I go look

IN this thread, e.g, it said "Page 1 of 3" at the top, when there are actually 5 pages.

My preference is to have threads sorted "most recent first" so I don' t have to scroll through everything I've already read.