Debugging and Suggestions for new SCOUTER.com

Maybe I'm still just confused by the new site and my "need" is here someplace.......

I'd like to be able to view a headline list of thread topics, that I have not seen..... say since my last log-in.

When I've read any that I choose and skip over any that don't interest me, I would like to be able to mark all threads as "read"

If a new post is made in any topic, it becomes "un-read"

Then my next login will show all the topics taht i have not seen.... i.e my "un-read" topics.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Test post. Bold italic underlined text. Different fonts, sizes and colors: bigger, much bigger, smaller, tiny.   Ordered list: Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Unordered list: Item 1 Item

Test posting link.   Test uploading and inserting an attachment: [ATTACH]n21[/ATTACH]   Insert image from URL:     Net Poufank d'Vioule de, Bänk dann duurch aus et. Dall bléit mé

The speed seems.......      

When I click on OPEN DISCUSSION - Program it doesn't show me all the posts in this instead it opens a new session of the main board, the others I tried (Advancement, Patrol, Working With Kids, Camping, etc) all show me alll the posts in the thread. I am using Firefox.
I can't get to that forum, either. Just kicks me back to the forum list.

OK, using Firefox, I can't seem to be able to send a private message. I wrote a message to OGE and everything looked good. When I tried to send it, an error message said that I had tried to send to one recipient but I could only send to zero recipients. So I deleted OGE from the recipient list. The next error message informed me that I had no recipients and that I needed at least one recipient. I tried it one more time to make sure I wasn't 'seeing things' and it did the same thing.

So, either it's me or its Memorex.

OGE, in case you read this, here's what I wrote to you (and tried to include eamonn and other moderators before I realized that it wasn't working):

"Hello OGE, while we all figure out how to do things, and because there are a lot of new moderators, I thought it would be good to establish some minimal guidelines for moderator etiquette. For example, now that we seem to have the ability to freely edit posts, seemingly without it being identified as 'moderated', would it be polite for all of us to identify the fact that we made a change? Would it be polite to identify ourselves as to who made the change and why?

Since you and a couple of others seem to be the most experienced of the 'older generation' of moderators, what do you think about my suggestion? The new moderators might benefit and I sure wouldn't mind it, personally, either. Thanks"

For the rest of forum members, this peek into the mysterious world of the 'moderators' was brought to you by Packsaddle. :)

Edit: Smileys still are not working as well, at least not for me.

For the time being, regular e-mail works.

Who knows what the new software should or should not allow.

Some of us can't even get into various forums, let alone posts within forums.

I'd suggest waiting a few weeks, letting it work out its bugs, for the time being.

Update: Yesterday I was able to get into "Issues and Politics" but this morning I could not. I have switched from Firefox to Internet Explorer for this forum and it seems to work much better. I can get into "Issues and Politics" and, for the first time, I can get into "Scouter Announcements", and not just the topic that has the last post. So I guess IE is the way to go for this forum.
There are a number of forums that my IE cannot get to.

Using Firefox 18.0.2. Logged in

The default filter ALL Time is not working correctly. Only one page of posts (earliest first) is returned. Switch filter to Last Week and results appear correct (3 pages of records in last week).

Sort order by time still quirky. I wonder if individual posts are now timestamped with local time instead of all posts being timestamped with server time (Central Time)?

I still have not figured out how to list all my past posts. In the previous version, I could click on my listed number of posts and get a chronological listing, now I go into My Profile and see just one page of my most recent posts with no filter option.

I appreciate the time and effort in doing this upgrade. So far I have not encountered any virus/malware issues.

Sometimes progress is nice but these major changes are not so good.

I had the site bookmarked to show the last 24 hours which presented the list of topics, the number of pages, and was sorted from newest to oldest - http://www.scouter.com/forums/search.asp?action=today&sortby=lastpost&order=desc. Made it a lot easier to see what were the hot topics and to jump straight to the page you left off the last time, e.g. topic has 10 pages today, yesterday it had 8, so I clicked on the 8 or 9 and started there.

Sorry to say but the changes have made it more of a pain to use and over the last several days I found that I stopped checking the board.

OK, using Firefox, I can't seem to be able to send a private message. I wrote a message to OGE and everything looked good. When I tried to send it, an error message said that I had tried to send to one recipient but I could only send to zero recipients. So I deleted OGE from the recipient list. The next error message informed me that I had no recipients and that I needed at least one recipient. I tried it one more time to make sure I wasn't 'seeing things' and it did the same thing.

So, either it's me or its Memorex.

OGE, in case you read this, here's what I wrote to you (and tried to include eamonn and other moderators before I realized that it wasn't working):

"Hello OGE, while we all figure out how to do things, and because there are a lot of new moderators, I thought it would be good to establish some minimal guidelines for moderator etiquette. For example, now that we seem to have the ability to freely edit posts, seemingly without it being identified as 'moderated', would it be polite for all of us to identify the fact that we made a change? Would it be polite to identify ourselves as to who made the change and why?

Since you and a couple of others seem to be the most experienced of the 'older generation' of moderators, what do you think about my suggestion? The new moderators might benefit and I sure wouldn't mind it, personally, either. Thanks"

For the rest of forum members, this peek into the mysterious world of the 'moderators' was brought to you by Packsaddle. :)

Edit: Smileys still are not working as well, at least not for me.

Well, yes, anytime you edit a post you should identify yourself. I always did in the old system when it said "Staff Member" I figure if you cant sign your work, then you must not be all that concerned about what was written.

Moving stuff is different,

Well' date=' does anyone else see anything pretty in my last post??? I just see ickkkkkkk...[/quote']

Nope...just raw HTML. Is the same for anything you add including URLs or images.

I click on I & P forum and it doesn't open. It just takes me back to the home page. Other sections seem to open fine. Thanks for the upgrade. It's will take some getting used to but hopefully will all work well soon. Hopefully it will be more secure and free of the malware attacks.