New silver/gold policy?

The idea of silver above gold does go back to the armed forces. Captain(two bars of silver) was much less expensive then that of First Lieutenant (one bar of gold).
Thinking about this' date=' I have to wonder...... Gold has always in my mind been more valuable or "above" silver..... so could it be that the military rank insignia are traditionaly brass and silver, instead of gold and silver?[/quote']

That's exactly what it is. The military does not use gold in ranks. It's brass. Gold is for medals, not ranks.

"Captain(two bars of silver) was much less expensive then that of First Lieutenant (one bar of gold)"

Actually, First Lieutenant is lighter and less expensive than Captain because 1LT is one bar of silver. Second Lieutenant (2LT) is one bar of gold.

But I agree overall - there are far more important issues to put our collective attention to...

Clearly there needs to be one standard, and BSA has gotten confused in recent years, moving gold ahead of silver in recent years . However, I don’t think the designation of National/Regional as gold, and Council/District as silver is incorrect. National is not a higher division of scouting, merely a support structure for the councils/Districts.