progress towards rank totem

This seems like a simple question yet I couldn't find any information regarding it (or I flew right past it).

Should Webelos still be wearing the Wolf/Bear Progress Towards Rank totem?

I realize that Webelos do earn the compass point badge but I'm looking at 1st year Webelos just entering the Webelos program. I would tend to think that it is a temporary badge and should be removed seeing the scout earned (or should have already earned)his Wolf and Bear badges.

I'd appreciate input on this one especially if you could point to some scout literature where this is referenced.

Sad to say we are moving house, so most of my Scout stuff is now in neat boxes filling two thirds of our three car garage. So I can't give you chapter and verse.

However if you look at the name of the totem, you will see that it is/was a progress towards rank.

These lads are now Webelos Scouts. By this time the either have the rank or it is lost and gone.

Now is the time for them to start working on the Activity Pins.

I have to admit that when I was working with the Webelos Scouts I did bend the rules a little( Bob White - Please skip the next bit!!)

We gave them two of each pin, one to wear on the cap the other to wear on the uniform shirt.

It does add about $30.00 to the program, but over the time that they are in the Webelos Scout den the pack committee thought it was worth it.

Also I feel sure that the totem is not to be worn with the tan shirt.

Hope this helps.

Working with Webelos Scouts is one of the best positions that there is in Scouting. These lads are so keen and everything is an adventure.

Have fun.

Eamonn

I do not have any literature handy either, but I am pretty sure that your instinct (confirmed by Eamonn) is correct. The "progress toward rank" device would be worn only while the boy is "progressing" toward Wolf or Bear. It would be removed from the uniform when the boy achieves Bear or completes third grade, whichever comes first.

For Webelos, "progress" is shown by wearing the activity badges; the Compass badge with its points; and, if you want to look at it this way, the Webelos rank badge while working toward Arrow of Light. (This means that, as far as I know, the Webelos/Arrow of Light requirements that are not related to activity badges have no "progress" indicator of their own. This would include the religious requirement, knowledge of Scout symbols, oath etc., tying the square knot etc.)

The Insignia Guide seems to make a distinction between Cub Scout uniforms and Webelos uniforms with each wearing the Progress Toward Ranks or the Compass emblem, respectively. But I'm not going to tell a kid to take it off, either. From a standpoint of encouragement I may suggest that he needs to try to earn his compass emblem and wear it instead of the PTR beads.