National looking at letting homosexuals in the BSA

Oooooh - I've been waiting for an opportunity to present itself on the subject of handedness to say this:

We are all ambidexterous. Don't believe me? If you're right handed, which hand do you use to trim your right hand fingernails (and vice-versa for left handed folks).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we can just pick a random thread on this topic now, they're so mixed up...or maybe it's me.

Anyway, I'm still trying to understand the reaction in which someone decides to leave scouting, not because their CO has lost its ability to discriminate, but because OTHERS have gained the freedom to choose NOT to discriminate. I just don't get it. Why does one person NOT want another to have the same freedom that THEY have?

"Anyway, I'm still trying to understand the reaction in which someone decides to leave scouting, not because their CO has lost its ability to discriminate, but because OTHERS have gained the freedom to choose NOT to discriminate. I just don't get it. Why does one person NOT want another to have the same freedom that THEY have?"

It isn't as simple as that. Troops don't exist in isolation. Removing the ban means the possibility of gay leaders at summer camp, district events, OA events, etc.

If a parent doesn't want their precious darling camping out in the woods with a gay leader, you can't tell them that they won't have one when they take wilderness survival merit badge at summer camp.

No, it truly is not that easy...

As a National policy, the individual Units were insulated from any legal action with regard to the policy. BSA National took the heat and had to fight the fight. In walking away from the issue, National has left it to the individual Unit and/or CO; which could open up those units to law suits that they would never have faced if they were just following the National policy. The ACLU and the likes of them are relentless; there will be law suits (IMHO, keeping in mind that I am not a lawyer, judge, nor have I played one on TV).

ASM59

• 2 months later...
I wonder if we can get a homemaker badge, a sewing badge, and an alternative lifestyle badge now?
So you're telling me that homemaking skills are not valid? Cooking, cleaning, sewing, but most of all BEING INDEPENDENT isn''t something worthwhile? Let me tell you, my mother, bless her, taught all of her sons how to cook, clean, do laundry, sew, iron, and in general take care of themselves...None of us had to rely on anyone else to do these things...And not an alternative lifestyle badge, but how about a Diversity badge? Learning and accepting (maybe not condoning, but at least accepting) how other people live would be a bad thing how?
I totally disagree that this will be of no effect....

First not supporting scouts at the national level, will produce lawsuits at the lower level where there is far less safety without the numbers of a huge national organization.

I venture that there are tons of little pro gay groups that are ready and waiting to attack at the lower level, knowing they will win not because of being right, but because there are far less funds... And ability to defend themselves.

Many churches that are CO's will drop the charter... Notice that this decision has been made right after the rechargers are completed... That gives the troops time to find other organizations before time to recharter.

On a personal level, we have already been told to expect a drop of the charter if this decision is made and also as a committee chair, I am having to make the personal decision to belong to a private organization that no longer supports the familly values that I beleive to be critical.

My son saw the article and has already stated he is rethinking his membership in the organization and he is a dream scout who lives every aspect of the law and oath...

No sir, I totally disagree... I hear the same bell tolling. When this is over, we may wind up with an irrelevant organization like others out there.... It used to be a great organization also....

"No sir, I totally disagree... I hear the same bell tolling" Because BSA is doing oh so great in the membership numbers currently.
I totally disagree that this will be of no effect....

First not supporting scouts at the national level, will produce lawsuits at the lower level where there is far less safety without the numbers of a huge national organization.

I venture that there are tons of little pro gay groups that are ready and waiting to attack at the lower level, knowing they will win not because of being right, but because there are far less funds... And ability to defend themselves.

Many churches that are CO's will drop the charter... Notice that this decision has been made right after the rechargers are completed... That gives the troops time to find other organizations before time to recharter.

On a personal level, we have already been told to expect a drop of the charter if this decision is made and also as a committee chair, I am having to make the personal decision to belong to a private organization that no longer supports the familly values that I beleive to be critical.

My son saw the article and has already stated he is rethinking his membership in the organization and he is a dream scout who lives every aspect of the law and oath...

No sir, I totally disagree... I hear the same bell tolling. When this is over, we may wind up with an irrelevant organization like others out there.... It used to be a great organization also....

"No sir, I totally disagree... I hear the same bell tolling" Because BSA is doing oh so great in the membership numbers currently.

"When i became SM two years ago, my paster told me that he is supportive of the Boy Scouts, as long as it does not conflict with catholic values."

That sounds about right....the Catholics have spent years ignoring pedophiles....just like the BSA.

"When i became SM two years ago, my paster told me that he is supportive of the Boy Scouts, as long as it does not conflict with catholic values."

That sounds about right....the Catholics have spent years ignoring pedophiles....just like the BSA.

Wow. Way to get that nice anti Catholic dig in there. By that I mean, that's pretty uncalled for.

Respectfully,

Sentinel947

Latest rumor, from CNN, The Boy Scouts of America would no longer deny membership to youths on the basis of sexual orientation alone, but would maintain its ban on openly gay adult leaders, under a proposal it is considering, the group said Friday.

The organization's executive committee made the proposal, which is expected to be presented to the Boy Scouts' voting members in May.

"If approved, the resolution would mean that 'no youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.' The BSA will maintain the current membership policy for all adults," Boy Scouts public relations director Deron Smith said.

In January, the BSA said it was considering a plan to give sponsors of local Scout units the option of admitting gays as both youth members and adult leaders or continuing to exclude them. On Friday, the BSA said it changed course in part because of surveys sent out starting in February to about 1 million members of the Scouting community. The review, said a BSA statement, "created an outpouring of feedback" from 200,000 respondents, some supporting the exclusion policy and others favoring a change.

"While perspectives and opinions vary significantly, parents, adults in the Scouting community and teens alike tend to agree that youth should not be denied the benefits of Scouting," the statement said.

As a result, the BSA's Executive Committee drafted the compromise resolution.

"The proposed resolution also reinforces that Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting," the statement said.

The BSA described its survey as "the most comprehensive listening exercise in its history."

In a summary of the findings, it said respondents overall supported the BSA's current policy of excluding gays by a margin of 61 percent to 34 percent, while a majority of younger parents and teens opposed the policy. It said overwhelming majorities of parents, teens and members of the Scouting community felt it would be unacceptable to deny an openly gay Scout an Eagle Scout Award solely because of his sexual orientation. Included in the survey were dozens of churches and other religious organizations that sponsor a majority of Scout units. The BSA said many of the religious organizations expressed concern over having gay adult leaders and were less concerned about gay youth members. Many Scout units are sponsored by relatively conservative denominations that have supported the ban on gays in the past  notably the Roman Catholic Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Southern Baptist churches.

LDS spokesman Michael Purdy said Mormon leaders would study the new proposal. There was no immediate public reaction from Southern Baptist or Catholic officials who have been dealing with the BSA membership issue. The BSA survey tried to gauge the proposal's effect on financial support. Local Scout councils said 51 percent of their major donors opposed easing the ban, while a majority of Fortune 500 companies supported a change. In another revealing section of the survey, the BSA reported feedback from 30 national youth organizations and civic groups, many of them partners of the Scouts in various endeavors. Of the 30 organizations, 28 urged the Scouts to lift the ban, and many warned that their partnerships might end if the ban remained.

The BSA also consulted four experts in the field of child sex abuse prevention. The four conveyed a "nearly universal opinion" within their field that homosexuality is not a risk factor for the sexual abuse of children. - Associated Press

So, in essence, the BSA is striving to do what its members want - a membership that is diverse and not at all in lockstep in their thinking.

When scouts is no longer supporting solid family values, and they cave on what they have stood for, for over a hundred years, that will be a sad day... You can call it not discriminating, but the supreme court said it's well within their rights as a private organization.

I like my sons statement best.... "Dad, I bet Lord Baden Powell would be really ticked off right now".

I say fire Ernst & Young and AT&T from the board and reaffirm their stand....

However the vote goes, I would definitely be on board with telling the CEOs of AT&T and Ernst & Young to get lost.

I really don't watch the news much anymore. Its just too darn depressing. I guess I do need to do some research to find out exactly what is going on with the BSA. I find it funny that I have been getting several phone calls and emails from my old council and my new council (recently moved states) pressing me for my FOS and 'Golden Eagle' commitments. That is just not normal. It feels like they are pushing more than normal because of some pending change that could have a negative impact on my contribution.

More on-topic..

I don't beleive that all homosexuals are guaranteed to be pedofiles and a danger to teenage boys. I have been involved in several Christian support groups and know friends that have struggled with these issues first hand. This is not the venue to vet that out, but it is not unreasonable for parents to have concearns. I do think that selecting mentors for our youth is a very critical decision that should not be taken lightly. And I support any CO that decides to descriminate based on their organizations values.

Do I think that a policy could be developed that would allow a gay parent to participate in the scouting program? .... I just don't like the way this is being pushed through like a political hot potatoe. I have the right as a parent to decide who will potentially mentor my son's. And I will not apologize for stating that long-held BSA policy makes it a lot easier for a parent to feel safe about these decisions.

There is absolutely NO defense for the above mentioned interrogation of a scout. There is absolutely no place in the scouting program for the topic of sexuality. Our scouting program is not the place for left wing idealogs to promote their agenda.