National looking at letting homosexuals in the BSA

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeepers Creepers. So many threads. So many posts it's hard to keep up. I had to respond to this one though.

"I would cheerfully discriminate against a gay man who wanted to go camping with teenaged boys. "

And with the new proposed policy you are completely welcome to do just that. There is absolutely nothing in the new policy that prevents a CO from continuing to discriminate based on sexual orientation just as they always have.

SA

Jeepers Creepers. So many threads. So many posts it's hard to keep up. I had to respond to this one though.

"I would cheerfully discriminate against a gay man who wanted to go camping with teenaged boys. "

And with the new proposed policy you are completely welcome to do just that. There is absolutely nothing in the new policy that prevents a CO from continuing to discriminate based on sexual orientation just as they always have.

SA

Boy Scouts of America: 2.7 million youth

Girl Scouts: 2.2 million youth

American Heritage Girls: 17 thousand youth

I suspect that the initial change will be about 50,000 youth lost from the BSA. I suspect that the biggest losses will be in the South. In the end, though, I suspect that it will be a minor blip in the first year and that membership will grow again once the initial news reporting and exodus occurs (no one is going to remember this in August/September for Cub Scout recruiting - timing is everything).

The American Heritage Girls has a letter on their website from their executive director asking their members to contact the BSA and express how disappointed they are (I guess the MOU must not have said anything about not interfering in any way with each other's internal operations and policies - oh, wait, it does - I guess the AHG feels they can just ignore their obligations to a "partner") and to pray that the board won't take that action, and that they will be evaluating the relationship for the future. I suspect the AHG will no longer promote the BSA as a like-minded partner anymore.

Boy Scouts of America: 2.7 million youth

Girl Scouts: 2.2 million youth

American Heritage Girls: 17 thousand youth

I suspect that the initial change will be about 50,000 youth lost from the BSA. I suspect that the biggest losses will be in the South. In the end, though, I suspect that it will be a minor blip in the first year and that membership will grow again once the initial news reporting and exodus occurs (no one is going to remember this in August/September for Cub Scout recruiting - timing is everything).

The American Heritage Girls has a letter on their website from their executive director asking their members to contact the BSA and express how disappointed they are (I guess the MOU must not have said anything about not interfering in any way with each other's internal operations and policies - oh, wait, it does - I guess the AHG feels they can just ignore their obligations to a "partner") and to pray that the board won't take that action, and that they will be evaluating the relationship for the future. I suspect the AHG will no longer promote the BSA as a like-minded partner anymore.

You'll probably have a small exodus from Utah also.

Did the policy officially change yet?

LDS changed its stance a couple of months ago....

http://www.mormonsandgays.org/

No one fully knows the root causes of same-sex attraction. Each experience is different. Latter-day Saints recognize the enormous complexity of this matter. We simply dont have all the answers. Attraction to those of the same sex, however, should not be viewed as a disease or illness. We must not judge anyone for the feelings they experience. Members of the Church who have same-sex attractions, but dont act on them, can continue to enjoy full fellowship in the church, which includes holding the priesthood, carrying out callings, and attending the temple. Unlike in times past, the Church does not necessarily advise those with same-sex attraction to

marry those of the opposite sex. Same-sex attraction itself is not a sin, but yielding to it is. However, through repentance Jesus Christ will offer forgiveness.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

I guess we can just pick a random thread on this topic now, they're so mixed up...or maybe it's me.

Anyway, I'm still trying to understand the reaction in which someone decides to leave scouting, not because their CO has lost its ability to discriminate, but because OTHERS have gained the freedom to choose NOT to discriminate. I just don't get it. Why does one person NOT want another to have the same freedom that THEY have?

I agree with Basement. I knew by 4th grade I REALLY liked girls enough to know I would have to give up any dreams of being Catholic Priest. I just assumed most gay guys were just that....especially considering how much stuff they had to put up with back then.

I wouldn't be surprised if someday they discover it is a bit like left handedness, a gene that gets switched from DC to AC during pregnancy.

Basement

My mom and son were lefties! When I worked in a factory I often felt sorry for lefties in that the safety switches always seemed most convenient to righties as you were sucked into the crushing machine...

I think lefties are great for genetic diversity. Maybe y'all will save us from the Alien invader.

Actually my son is ambidextrous with a (practice) sword and wins a lot of mock battles by switching sides during a match. Seems stronger with the right but writes and has fine motor control with the left.

When my mom was in Catholic school the nuns wacked her left "devils" hand when she wrote with it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Gays in Scouting Program...

Tampa Turtle, I also add that you need to be really careful what you do with your left (devil's) hand if you're in parts of the Middle East. And in the desert, the left hand is the correct one...oh yeah.

Merlyn, what was it that Mark Twain wrote about statistics? ;)