Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders NBC

"My son, brought up Unitarian Universalist, accepting and respectful of other's beliefs, may never pass muster if judgement in a Board of Review is coming from someone with a Fundamentalist Christian perspective."

Current Eagle Boards of Review already pass many youth who are UU in belief and many youth who don't go to any Church.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!

I don't ever remember a thread going to ten pages as fast as this!

I did read the first six pages but that's as far as I got.

I think maybe it's time for me to admit that I was wrong when I said this would never happen in my life time.

This local option does seem to make a lot of sense.

Of course what happens next? - Is the $64k question.

My great hope is that this will act as a wake up call for many of our CO's. And they will take more of an interest in what's going on and who is signing up as adult leaders.

I'm not sure what happens when a Lad in a unit that doesn't allow gays comes out?

But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

With this one issue out of the way, we can now return to talking about the evils of cell phones.

Ea.

I'm terribly dismayed that this is even up for discussion. It was discussed and decided 7 years ago. Why aren't people who want an organization with these standards joining Spiral Scouting? There is a place for them. And I wish them well. There is no need to change BSA.

I personally wanted my baby baptised after he was born. I did not join a Baptist church and try to convince them to do this. I joined a church in a denomination that lined up with my views.

I called national office today. They were all to set up to direct my call to the poll. No one asked if I was a registered leader or had a child in scouting. So, ANYONE who calls, is represented in "the poll." So, the opinion of ANYONE counts equally at BSA in this.

I'm terribly dismayed that this is even up for discussion. It was discussed and decided 7 years ago. Why aren't people who want an organization with these standards joining Spiral Scouting? There is a place for them. And I wish them well. There is no need to change BSA.

I personally wanted my baby baptised after he was born. I did not join a Baptist church and try to convince them to do this. I joined a church in a denomination that lined up with my views.

I called national office today. They were all to set up to direct my call to the poll. No one asked if I was a registered leader or had a child in scouting. So, ANYONE who calls, is represented in "the poll." So, the opinion of ANYONE counts equally at BSA in this.

Heck, even if for some reason you think that what another person's sexual preference is somehow has something to do with you (why???), look at it this way: this gives us an opportunity to reach boys and girls (Venturing and Sea Scouts, yay!) and teach them all the great things about Scouting. Plus, we will probably get some terrific leaders (who out there has enough leaders...anyone?).

Now, how can that possibly be a bad thing?

So will National defend, in court, a CO that is sued for "following their beliefs", as "Under this proposed policy, the BSA would not require any chartered organization to act in ways inconsistent with that organizations mission, principles, or religious beliefs.

If they do not, I believe you will see a headlong crash in the number of churches willing to be a CO.

Or anyone else, for that matter.

There will be troops in many localities that will keep a ban on gay leaders and maybe youth, vigorously proclaim their openness, and others that will just go on as usual.

All things change, some at different rates. I would ask many who are not happy with the proposed change if they could talk with their Scout and ask what he honestly thinks. I would be interested if as many of the boys are as concerned about this as Scouters and parents.

There will be troops in many localities that will keep a ban on gay leaders and maybe youth, vigorously proclaim their openness, and others that will just go on as usual.

All things change, some at different rates. I would ask many who are not happy with the proposed change if they could talk with their Scout and ask what he honestly thinks. I would be interested if as many of the boys are as concerned about this as Scouters and parents.

We just had our COH tuesday night. I brought this up in conversation with a half a dozen parents and no one I talked to could care less--beyond thinking its about time. I was surprised. More expressed concern about the sloppy flag ceremony.

No discussion from the boys--I do not think most of them know of it.

It will pretty much be a non issue with the scouts,as few of them even read a paper or listen to news. Unless an adult makes a scene, it will simply be another yawning response, if anything, though older boys may actually put forward an opinion at some point. If you have run your unit with the subject pretty much taboo, then you should be able to just go on as you have.

As far as the few worrying about law suits, that is likely a really minor concern since it will no longer be a decision outside of the specific CO's purview, and there will be alternative units somewhere in most cases.

Like everything, a bit of adjustment. But, just like women as scoutmasters, it will very soon just be part of the fabric of the specific unit.

It will pretty much be a non issue with the scouts,as few of them even read a paper or listen to news. Unless an adult makes a scene, it will simply be another yawning response, if anything, though older boys may actually put forward an opinion at some point. If you have run your unit with the subject pretty much taboo, then you should be able to just go on as you have.

As far as the few worrying about law suits, that is likely a really minor concern since it will no longer be a decision outside of the specific CO's purview, and there will be alternative units somewhere in most cases.

Like everything, a bit of adjustment. But, just like women as scoutmasters, it will very soon just be part of the fabric of the specific unit.