Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders NBC

There is one clear message coming from Merlin, and that is, when making decisions like this, make them based on what you think is right, not based on what you think will please other people, because other people will always find something to complain about.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. "

Groucho Marx

Seriously there may be some press going forward. Someone will want to highlight the 1st Gay SM, just as I'm sure there were articles about the early female scoutmasters.

But in the long run this would be a good decision for the organization. Get's it off the front line of the culture war. There will be some that leave because the unit across town accepted a gay leader but I doubt there will be many.

SA

Basically, isn't it simply a return to how was before the media and Gay agenda pushers forced National into the wrong headed public decision? It was always the local choice until Dale or shortly before, and it seldom caused any problems because everyone accepted that private lives are just that, private, and that if you make your personal life a distraction to the unit, you will be asked to leave.

On the other hand,God or some form of greater presence is still a cornerstone of the movement. But, since there is such a wide interpretation of spiritual beliefs and faiths, it rarely should be an issue, especially since few boys have arrived at their absolute position in that regard. But, if one is at the point of being certain they believe in nothing, they simply need to understand that they then no longer meet the standards. Certainly, adults who already have made the determination they are atheist simply need to accept they do not meet the qualifications.

My personal opinion: National is chasing money that was never going to come to us anyway. Trying to chase local funds like United Way.

Time to look and see if American Heritage Girls is considering helping form "American Heritage Scouts". My charter org would very strongly consider this now.

> So will Eagle candidates who admitted they were gay and are still under 18, get another shot at Eagle?

Did they finish their requirements? If not, then they join a unit and get them done.

If they did, or they don't have enough time now, it would undoubtedly have to be handled by the appeals process.

can't the word Reverent be applied to anything. "Merlyn is reverent to secular morals." Or "An atheist is reverent to Enlightenment principles?" Surely everyone believes in some principle they can apply "Reverent towards.

When we get to the Oath. Can't it be instead of duty to God, it can be duty to my beliefs? Wouldn't that end the issues of having Atheists in Scouts?

I can see where the BSA smells money. By dropping its anti-gay policy, the BSA would be able to once again start phony units in schools. In-school scouting would really take off again - instant membership; registration being done in September (costs a lot less to register a youth at the end of the year); and the unit doesn't even have to meet as long as the youth get registered. United Way would be again happy and donate dollars based on membership, both traditional and special programs. Money, money, money!

I surmise that the suits down in Irving have already run the numbers and realize that school scouting would trump LDS numbers if LDS decides to pull out because of the decision to allow gays.

My district is now down to 4 traditional troops yet if a stranger looked at the district roster of units, it would appear that the district is doing just fine. Yet I was just informed that our district chairman had quit back in the late summer. So I guess my little district (big if you include the school units) has been operating with only a key 1, a professional and nobody was told.

Yes, this policy (coming out possibly next week according to NBC) means $$ for the BSA. The BSA seems to be willing to do anything as long as there is $$ to pay the professional salaries, imho of course.