Maryland pack forced to withdraw popular non-discrimnation policy now votes on leaving the BSA

There was a time when people who stood up for what they believed were respected for taking a stand against what they thought was wrong

They may be wrong, lots of time they are, but that does not mitigate the respect they should get even if we think they are "wrong"(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Absolutely, it's much easier to live your life by no objective standards because then you and others never fail to meet them. It's outcome-based morality! Everyone's a winner! Do whatever feels good at the moment.

It's also easy to use the failings of those who have standards as a condemnation of the standards themselves.

These are key reasons why modern liberalism is such an attractive choice to many. It's easy and lazy.

"What kind of weirdo sociopath Christians are you hanging out with who claim they have never sinned?"

Well AZ: the kind of "Christian" (quotes for sarcasm), that come onto a college campus to call all the women adulteresses, and the men homosexuals. The ones that get in people's faces hoping they'll get hit so they can sue the school, yet their theology is weak.

The Westboro baptist people come to mind as well.

Perhaps I just relate the term "bible thumpers" to hypocritical Christians. That could be an error of mine.

"They're the ones who need the "We are better then you" supiority comparisons in order to claim they are they "chosen ones".. It may be homosexuals or it may be thinking their religious members are the only one blessed to access heaven, while all other people (whether of no religion, or of a different faith then theirs) are doomed to rot in hell"

Moose, Moose, Moose,

Those of us who believe in God, and choose to live our lives (the best we can) according to his commandments, do not believe ourselves "superior" or "chosen", we just belive that morals are a black and white issue and are not a relative thing. Right is right and wrong is wrong. While there has been movement and rethinking by a large group in this area, that does not mean that wrong is right and right is wrong.

Now, that being said, there are nutjobs in every group.

"Best thing to ask a bible thumper Moosetracker: Have you ever sinned? Its fun to watch em dodge the question."

No dodging here, I, like all but one man who walked the earth about 2000 years ago, have sinned.

Sorry, as far as I am concerned disagreeing is not disrespecting.. Banning someone you disagree with IS disrespeciting.

My child grew up around many people I disagreed with. I don't ban them. If their viewpoint or lifestyle come into conflict with my idea of values, then it is just a teachable moment to have a heart to heart discussion with my son.

Start respecting those who are homosexual. Start respecting those who are atheists. After all it does not mitigate the respect they should get even if you think they are "wrong"..

Oh I am not surprised

As a swearing, bourbon drinking, cigar smoking womanizer.

I had a mother ask the minister if she knew I rode a motorcycle, drank and smoked cigars. Minister told her that I would probably invite her over if I knew she was interested in motorcycle, bourbon and cigars. The minister had a smile on her face when she told me....

My sons friends are in the troop......I am sure all of them have traipsed a crossed the back porch while I was enjoying my cigar and bourbon, not something I hide,

You are confusing respect with approval.

The fact that the same people who consistently denigrate conservative viewpoints in these forums will dare to wag their fingers in self-righteousness would be laughable if not so blatantly hypocritical.(This message has been edited by brewmeister)

had a great discussion with the Webelo den a few years about about heaven.

It went something along the lines of only X Brand Christian will get in heaven. Really, so I pulled out the old phone and found that X Brand Christian represent only 1.6% of the worlds population.

so little jimmy webelo does that mean that your god is going to exclude 98% of the worlds population from heaven. Since 98% of the people believe differently does that mean your wrong..... He had a really worried look on his face....There is no right or wrong....Just the fact they believe differently.

Now lets talk about the mega churches/social club.

Bottom line is we all know that doing the right thing sometimes means ignoring/breaking/violating the written rules.

Exclusive: Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders

Sounds like local option

"The Boy Scouts of America, one of the nations largest private youth organizations, is actively considering an end to its decades-long policy of banning gay scouts or scout leaders, according to scouting officials and outsiders familiar with internal discussions."

The chartered organizations that oversee and deliver scouting would accept membership and select leaders consistent with their organizations mission, principles or religious beliefs, according to Deron Smith, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts national organization.

Individual sponsors and parents would be able to choose a local unit which best meets the needs of their families, Smith said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/28/16739587-exclusive-boy-scouts-close-to-ending-ban-on-gay-members-leaders?lite(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

"Sorry, as far as I am concerned disagreeing is not disrespecting.. Banning someone you disagree with IS disrespeciting.

My child grew up around many people I disagreed with. I don't ban them. If their viewpoint or lifestyle come into conflict with my idea of values, then it is just a teachable moment to have a heart to heart discussion with my son.

Start respecting those who are homosexual. Start respecting those who are atheists. After all it does not mitigate the respect they should get even if you think they are "wrong".. "

Moose,

Respecting someone's point of view does not that they need to be admitted into the club. I respect people who have beliefs different than mine, I regularly look to be educated by my Jewish, Muslim, Mormon, Jehova's Witness (et al) friends. But that does not mean that without adjusting their beliefs they are welcome to join a Methodist Church.

BSA is a private (mostly) organization that has rules and standards for admission, just because they do, does not make them wrong, it makes them a private club with rules to join. Argue that the rules need to be changed (I think they do), argue that BSA should be more inclusive (probably should) but do not confuse the fact that they are upholding their standards with disrespect.

I think it is disrespectful for individuals to cry foul when an organization upholds its admission standards and the individuals concerned are surprised that they did it.

---someday I will learn to type---(This message has been edited by pchadbo)

"Well AZ: the kind of "Christian" (quotes for sarcasm), that come onto a college campus to call all the women adulteresses, and the men homosexuals. The ones that get in people's faces hoping they'll get hit so they can sue the school, yet their theology is weak.

The Westboro baptist people come to mind as well.

Perhaps I just relate the term "bible thumpers" to hypocritical Christians. That could be an error of mine. "

Well, duh.

The Westboro Baptist cult is about 0.000000000000000000000000001% of all the Christians. That's like saying that all you white people are as bad as the Ku Klux Klan.

Well, Pchadbo, considering now you are excited about ending the ban on homosexuals, and have two possible candidates if it ends, you are not a bible thumper.. If you were you would have told them how unwelcomed they were, and made them feel worthless then the turd stuck to the bottom of your shoe to be a real bible thumper. Or you would gleefully hunt and sniff out the homosexuals amongst us, and taken total delight in shameing them as you kicked them out the door. That is a bible Thumper..

With the announcement of this possible new policy they will not claim excitement, or even "it won't change my unit".. The bible thumper will be crying out the doom and gloom, and threatening their church, All churches will stomp out, if their neighbor troop dares to excercise the new policy of local option and welcome a homosexual..

Again, there is a difference between disagreeing and totally baning them or treating them like dirt..

clears throat,

Glad this came about,

I was really worried about my local ax grinders finding out about some gay/lesbian scouters in our pack and troop and going after them.

Now it is up to the minister and church elders.

It will have no impact on my local organization as it is already been made a local option.

AZMike

Bible thumpers are not all religious people, they are not all christians.. Bible thumpers are people who are not happy with personally living up to their religious beliefs and raising their family with their viewpoints, but loving them regardless of if they choose their parents values, or choose different values.

Bible thumpers need to force their beliefs down everyone throats, with protests, and banning, trying to shame those who don't have the same views.. They will even turn their backs on their own family member if they don't follow thier religious beliefs..

So calling all Christians bible-thumpers is like calling all whites members of the Ku Klux Klan.

Man, just come back from a vacation without email, and look what happens...

And Pack 442 is in my baliwick, never heard of/from them, but good for them. I will look'em up.

In the meantime, I will (again) post one of my favorite quotations, from William Penn:

from Some Fruits of Solitude 1682

519. ""The Humble, Meek, Merciful, Just, Pious and Devout Souls, are everywhere of one Religion; and when Death has taken off the Mask, they will know one another, tho' the divers Liveries they wear here make them Strangers.""

It is not up to us to say who shall (or not) enter heaven. Behave as you choose. The knight in the Indiana Jones movie made note of the choice of one chacter by saying "he chose...poorly". It may well be like that for many folks, but not for us to pass judgement on BEFORE the fact.