Saying it didn't happen is completely insane.

Questioning the official story on how it all went down isn't necessarily so crazy. Stories like this evolve over the course of the day as more information becomes available. In the days after, some other details are confirmed and join the official story.

This is where the official story stops evolving to include new information, or omits some subjects that came up that day as a result of some good information getting tossed out that was incompatible with later stories despite still having good information that just wasn't relevant to the new information.

The armed guy in camo that was taken away from the woods at the scene saying "I didn't do it." is a good example. What's happened to that guy? We know he wasn't the shooter in the school, but what the heck WAS he doing?

That's where conspiracy thrives. When nobody's talking about that guy, conspiracy theorists start speculating that it's a cover-up and that was the CIA assassin there to make sure Adam Lanza carried out his programmed task and died on the scene so as to avoid being questioned instead of escaping like Holmes did. Truth of the matter is the guy may have responded to the shots fired and gone to help with his hunting rifle, then realized it was a bad idea when the police were coming in and he dumbly decided to run. We'll never know though. We'll never know.

For the too long; didn't read, Conspiracy thrives when there's a surplus of information and a deficit of understanding.

We've all heard of "Birthers" ... well I actually ran across a "Deather".

Some nitwit at a Life Insurance company (no I really can't remember which one) who wanted the Death Certificate in order to pay out policy.

We asked for the address and said we'd have a certified copy sent to him ASAP. He said, "No, I have to have the original ... "

It took a long time for him to realize that he *never* gets *the* original.

The problem boils down to the internet.

People have always trotted out utter nonsense. But 20 years ago it would just be some weird guy in a corner of a bar somewhere blithering on about his latest conspiracy theory. The regulars would humour him then call him a nutter when they got home.

Now that weird guy at the bar has access to the internet and once something goes on the internet a lot of people, for reasons I can't fathom, decide that it has more credibility than if they were told it by a weird guy at the bar.

Frankly I pity the people that trot this stuff out. They could really do with just getting a life.

"So Iraq didn't have large stockpiles of chemical weapons? Oh I know different."

Then you know something the Bush WMD inspection team didn't know or was unable to find.

Now I honestly don't believe the wackos in the story represent the majority of gun owners but many of these nutters either already own guns or want to own them.

SA

There are two main causes.

First the Internet as has been mentioned. It is simply that much easier for people with stupid ideas to find like minded folks than it ever has been.

As it relates to Sandy Hook, this "conspiracy" is also a coping mechanism, in my non-scientific opinion. It is simply too difficult for some people to envision, or admit, to the evil that has to exist for something like this to happen. It's comforting to them to concoct an alternate reality where the tragedy did not occur.

There have always been crazy people but they seem to be growing. I guess the internet allows them to hook up.

When I was a in high school a friends' mother was a holocaust survivor. She was a lucky one--she went to a camp at 4, was smuggled out, and was hidden in a convent. All her family perished. Very sad story and she was pretty bitter. She still had her tatoo. I remember her showing me it like yesterday. She was a mom like mine but someone had marked her and had intended to kill her. I felt a bit shocked. (and growing up in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood its not like the Holocaust was news)

Fast forward a few years and I am in College in Georgia. Some Yahoo (from Jacksonsville, FL I recall) was saying how he knew that (1) all Jews had horns and (2) the Holocaust was a fraud.

I assured him that, while I was a fine Catholic boy I had dated my share of Jewish girls, and in all my close physical examinations I never found any horns. Second I had seen a prison camp tattoo first hand.

Last thing I recall before his fist hit my face was that his Grandmother and the bible were not liars.

He never did fully matriculate from that educational institution.

Since then I continue to be amazed at how hard and how lazy folks will be to stay ignorant.

Have you read the report?

The official report is available on the CIA website at:

https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/general-reports-1/iraq_wmd_2004/chap6.html

Read through it and you'll eventually find the following paragraphs.

"While a small number of old, abandoned chemical munitions have been discovered, ISG judges that Iraq unilaterally destroyed its undeclared chemical weapons stockpile in 1991. There are no credible indications that Baghdad resumed production of chemical munitions thereafter, a policy ISG attributes to Baghdads desire to see sanctions lifted, or rendered ineffectual, or its fear of force against it should WMD be discovered."

and

"In practical terms, with the destruction of the Al Hakam facility, Iraq abandoned its ambition to obtain advanced BW weapons quickly. ISG found no direct evidence that Iraq, after 1996, had plans for a new BW program or was conducting BW-specific work for military purposes. Indeed, from the mid-1990s, despite evidence of continuing interest in nuclear and chemical weapons, there appears to be a complete absence of discussion or even interest in BW at the Presidential level."

SA