The emerging Biden Proposal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Why not just repeal the 2nd and then the government can do what it wants?"

"Because the second amendment does not grant gun rights."

Yes Brewmiester, you and I agree, The amendments prohibits the federal government from infringing upon inherent rights, it does not grant them. When we weaken one we weaken all.

All this Constitution talk has me thinking I'll go sign up to be a Citizenship in the Nation MBC!

Yeah, Eagle, the problem of course is that we have become indoctrinated otherwise, which is why we have endless discussions about "militias" and other preambles and prepositions, ignoring the fact that the second amendment states what the government SHALL NOT do.

But I digress...we've been down this road before and it will change the opinion of no one who erroneously believes otherwise.

Brewmiester,

You are correct. As a people, we have given away far too many rights. Some because the people said nthing and in other circumstances, due to a desire to be more secure. In the long run, we lose freedom and never gain the security promised. Freedom inherently means risks.

There is no constitutional ban on taxes for newspapers under first amendment grounds. If that were the case, sales taxes couldn't be charged for magazines, books and movies.

In fact, at least 17 states, and the District of Columbia, have a tax on newspaper circulation income and California has been charging sales tax on newspapers since the Pete Wilson administration.