One school has a better idea

The major news hasn't picked up on this , I think, because it isn't very exciting...

Dateline 18 Dec. 2012

""NICKEL MINES, Pa. Members of the Amish community where a gunman killed five girls in a one-room schoolhouse in 2006 are writing letters to reach out in sympathy to parents in Newtown, Conn.""

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/12/amish_near_nickel_mines_school.html

" The only way to stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun." Didn't seem to work in Columbine. So where is our faith? How do we show it? With bigger weapons? Or with active forgiveness? Something in between? GPS chips in the weapon? People watching people who watch other people?

Maybe we should make it a law that requires every child to have a stable, sane, loving and caring parent (or two, where possible), and if that child cannot produce proof that their parent meets those requirements , then that child is arrested and put in jail... wait, maybe not... ummmm. Let me rethink that...

A "law" for loving and caring parents who raise and teach kids that become responsible and productive members of society - it deserves some consideration and some effort.

Instead, we try to pick up the pieces when they fail. We react with solutions that involve defenses and protections against the resulting misfits; we get more guns and bigger guns and demand armed guards.

I wonder if NRA would support parenting education?

Seriously, it is a mistake many make - to assume that a person with anti-social behavior somehow had parents who were at fault. Humans are a very strange beast - some are very resilient and come out "normal" even when raised in abhorrent circumstances. Other times, they turn into sociopaths even with loving, nurturing parents.

Sure, it happens. The best parenting sometimes notwithstanding, the kid may turn out to be a sociopath.

So as the broken record says, "guns don't kill people..." then surely the gun lobby folks would be the first one's to address the people problem. You think?

I can only think to paraphrase one of Keanu Reeves best lines from Parenthood:

You have to get a license to drive a car, you have to get a license for your dog, you have to get a license to hunt, heck, you even have to get a license in order to fish, but they'll let any Tom, Dick or Harry be a dad.

"You have to get a license to drive a car, you have to get a license for your dog, you have to get a license to hunt, heck, you even have to get a license in order to fish, but they'll let any Tom, Dick or Harry be a dad. "

Or buy a gun....