NRA -are they Serious?!?

After spending 3 days and 30 miles hiking with some boys through areas where no firearms is allowed AND once again having some yahoo discharge a firearm nearby where we were hiking on a designated trail (and wearing orange)I really wish the "gun folks" would support restrict idiots with getting firearms. Some folks are just too stupid.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tampa, I'm fairly certain that the NRA would be all for an intelligence test being a prerequisite for owning firearms.

But I'm equally certain that it would never become law. The liberals would point out that they were being discriminated against.

Yah, many years ago I was hikin' along da North Country Trail, traversing downhill from a ridge. I was hikin' with a few kids when we started takin' fire.

Turns out some fellow and his son had set up a little shootin' range, firing at cans on stumps and branches uphill from below, heedless of da presence of the trail above them.

Among the times I've been closest to injurious violence. I was glad I had the kids with me to force me to remain a good example, but if one of 'em had been hurt...

I was out on openin' day of waterfowl season this fall. I never do that; I always try to avoid openin' day because it brings out da nitwits. This year was no exception. I wish we could ban semi-automatic shotguns just so some fellows would learn how to shoot. By the time you've lit off your 5th round, it's time to admit that yeh missed the dang thing and should stop sprayin' lead in a big arc heedless of what's around yeh.

Still, it's a minority, but they give everybody a bad name.

Beavah

"After spending 3 days and 30 miles hiking with some boys through areas where no firearms is allowed AND once again having some yahoo discharge a firearm nearby where we were hiking on a designated trail (and wearing orange)I really wish the "gun folks" would support restrict idiots with getting firearms. Some folks are just too stupid."

Tampa, did you see the person shooting? How do you know he wasn't on private property? I'm sure you know the sound of a shot can carry a long distance. How do you know they were not acting safely? Just wondering.

We clearly crossed the fenced areas that had signs prohibiting firearms not 20 minutes earlier. It was marked on the map. We saw the guys across the field 5 minutes after the shots. He was between us and the river so we know it was not private. It was not during a "hog culling weekend"--we do our best to avoid those situations. Pretty sure on this one.

The guy could have just driven 15 miles south and done what he wanted.

I was out on openin' day of waterfowl season this fall. I wish we could ban semi-automatic shotguns just so some fellows would learn how to shoot. By the time you've lit off your 5th round, it's time to admit that yeh missed the dang thing and should stop sprayin' lead in a big arc heedless of what's around yeh.

Contact the game warden. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has banned lead shot for waterfowl hunting nationwide since 1991. There's been several studies both pre and post ban about use of lead shot.

I am not a hunter, but I discuss the environmental effects of lead in Environmental Science Merit Badge.

After the Houston shooting, I agree with the police chief regarding the idiotic proposed legislation in Texas - from ABC News:

"Ralph Meyer, Texas State Universitys police chief, says the issue has been a contentious one since the shootings at Virginia Tech.

Every legislature since Virginia Tech has been dealing with the subject and whatever they say, we will make the necessary arrangement, he said. If they pass to it we will deal with it. But, he says, I dont think it is a good idea. Meyer says he is fearful of the heroes who think they are doing a good deed and will wind up shooting the wrong person, and that students will see someone with a concealed weapon and it will result in campus mayhem.

And now I have to close down the campus looking for a gun because the student didnt conceal it good enough, he said. They will text their mother and say, Im sitting beside someone and part of a pistol is sticking out of his briefcase and they call police and we have to send everyone home. I am not against concealed weapons, but the thing that scares me is officers injuring the wrong person."

...or for that matter, students or faculty thinking they're going to be a hero.

Yes, I would like steel shot used at the shotgun range and if the lead deposits at the rifle range are a threat to the ground water, excavate berms and either rebuild to trap the lead for recycling or use green ammo for short range target practice. The latter is more likely as the use of lead ammo is getting banned more.

Do it sooner or the government will tell you to do it later? :(

My $0.02,(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

"Are you concerned about the lead concentrations at hundreds of Scout camp shooting ranges? "

If I were a developer considering purchasing a scout camp to develop into condos, yes.

If I were a council exec, considering selling my council camp, yes.

SA