NRA -are they Serious?!?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Basement, makes you wonder. A mental health registry may help with people who get cataloged with mental problems before they try to buy weapons, but little to help if they buy a bunch of weapons before they get on the mentally ill alert list. No way to check now what this insane person has, or the relatives with whom he is living with either.

Eagle732 perhaps some of the kids in your school were cursed with rotten parents, but it's a shame your school has such rotten teachers that none of the teachers are good role models for these kids.. Still you may have the type of officer Clinton had in mind for his COPS program. Someone who was only partially there for security, but was also there for for a neighborhood outreach program. LaPierre mentioned no outreach program in his initial speech, perhaps he has added this piece to it later on? His initial image is of a stormtrooper scary guy in full garb whose intent is to scare the bad guy into not even thinking this is a good castle to storm.

Don't they have a right to be innocent????

A single guard in a school won't stop anything. A 400 pound or physically unfit resource officer isn't gonna stop or deter anything. Ya that's what they put in our schools, they officers who can't ride in a cruiser or can pass the patrol physical test.

Ever wonder if you could pass that psych exam?

"Rotten parents, rotten teachers, storm troopers", yea I can't even argue with logic like that. I said MIGHT BE. Maybe some kids look at the SRO as a role model and decide to become a cop when they get older.

And Basement I'm disappointed in your "400 pound" comment.

And please explain the "phsyc exam" comment.(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

Eagle your the one who stated DT (Deputy Tom), he might just be the only positive adult male role model some of the kids have

For any kid to find a guard at the door as the ONLY positive adult male role model, that means rotten parents & rotten teachers.. Now if he was ONE OF his positive adult male role models, that would just mean he is a good role model.

Gun restriction will work- look at the NY fireman shooter. He was not allowed to own guns legally did not stop him. Oh and lets have tighter gasoline regulations so folks dont burn down things! Same thing just a different weapon of mass destruction!

So Momleader,

Most high and middle schools in my district have armed security guards (well, sheriff's deputies with guns). Malls and movie theaters aren't major targets unless they are posted "no guns." (Batman shooter chose the only theater within 20 minutes of his apt that didn't allow guns, there were bigger and closer theaters). As a police officer told me when we talked gun control about 15 yrs ago. He was all for citizens to be armed. In a similar response to the NRA's, he thought having more armed good guys was a good thing. Bad guys will always be armed.

Basement,

Maybe they put the unfit officers in schools in your county. My county does almost the opposite. They choose among the most likable officers. Why? The sheriff's department provides the officers to the schools primarily to gather information about crime. Their job is to make contact with the students, and secondarily to protect the schools. I'm friends with several such officers, and I am glad to have such fine men in the schools.

Yah, sorry perdidochas. I see some of da everyday fallout of these policies, and da net effect of havin' law enforcement in da schools is that we see da criminalization of ordinary teenage school stuff. Would yeh like a deputy along on all scout outings in an official capacity, so a fight between two friends became a matter of an arrest rather than of yeh callin' da parents?

If yeh don't want law enforcement up your nose about your firearms, or on your property without a warrant, then I can't see why you'd want law enforcement pokin' about your kids' school constantly. What happened to da evil guvmint? ;)

Generally speakin' da average cop doesn't have da skills, experience, or trainin' for dealin' with schoolkids, no matter how "nice" they are. So despite anecdotes about nice Deputy Tom, it makes for a poor general public policy. Besides, schools are among da statistically safest places in society, so it's also just plain bad financial management in an era of deficits. You're far better off havin' those officers around town dealin' with da people who sell the kids drugs after school.

Gun restriction will work- look at the NY fireman shooter. He was not allowed to own guns legally did not stop him.

Yah, well, noname, I reckon we all agree that criminals will find guns. But in da CT case, we're not talkin' about a hardened criminal but about a disturbed young man. It might be reasonable to believe that appropriate restrictions would reduce da risk of stressed or disturbed individuals usin' certain kinds of guns in crimes of opportunity.

That's before yeh get into da bit that William Spengler seems to have gotten his firearms by stealin' unsecured firearms and ammunition from law abidin' folks in the area. Perhaps they thought those guns would protect 'em from breakins. :p

Beavah

Eagle all of the officers in the schools, are likeable enough. But all of them I have met have physical problems that make them unfit for patrol duty.

So how many of your gun toten friends could pass a mental exam by the old doc. I know a handful that if they did I would be really surprised. Two guys at work wouldn't for sure.....Serious paranoid types.....The one was warned about carrying into work, which is posted no weapons per law.

How many of those preper guys would pass?

What are the disqualifying traits?????

Evil exists. We don't see it all that often, but it does exist. Guns are not the problem. Guns are merely a tool. I live in Oklahoma City. I was sitting at my desk about 6 blocks away from the Murrah Building when McVeigh blew it up. My wife's office was even closer. McVeigh didn't need a gun to murder 168 people. Evil isn't on a time table. Evil can act swiftly or take its time making plans. Gun control laws will not stop shootings in public places. Having guards in schools probably won't stop shootings, but they do provide a measure of safety far greater than throwing your arms up in front of your face and begging for your life. We have active duty soldiers killed inside their own bases. Evil doesn't respect life or law. We can try all sorts of things to mitigate the effects of evil, but we can't stop it. Harden one target, it will find another.

Survival is an instinct. We survive thru self defense. Being able to defend yourself or have some sort of protection available is not an unreasonable thing. There is an armed guard in the lobby of my building. Many moons ago when I was a kid working in a grocery store, we hired off duty police officers as guards. They wore their uniforms and guns. We provide our President and other high government officials with security. Why is it unreasonable to protect our children as best we can.

There is the unrealistic expectation that we disarm everyone and remove guns from society. A simple question here, do the same folks who think this is possible also believe that we can deport every single illegal alien from the US? The answer is no. Why? The usual answer is that there are too many and it would be too costly. There are far more guns than illegal aliens. And even if you were able to get citizens to give up their constitutional right to bear arms, criminals do not follow laws. The evil folks who would misuse a tool to harm others will be totally unaffected by your well intentioned meanings. By removing a deterrent, you move the criminal to the top of the food chain.

The NRA didn't ask anything unreasonable. Providing trained armed guards to protect our children is something that should be handled at the individual school system level and not at the federal level anyway. As many have noted, there are school systems that already do this. The NRA has a good point concerning the current culture and media. I don't remember the number of killings a child will have experienced by the time they turn 18, but it numbered in the 10's of thousands. To think that the violence and disregard they see in movies and games has absolutely no impact on their world perspective is just silly. I know that as a parent, there were shows, games and music that I did not allow my son to participate in. Did he outside of home? Probably. Did he at home? Absolutely not. The NRA is also correct about mental health. The issue is the person doing the killing, not the tool they use. McVeigh used fertilizer to build a very powerful bomb, but I'm still allowed to purchase fertilizer for my yard and use it responsibily. Add to that that the NRA is the largest proponent of responsible gun usage and safety training in the world.

For those who want to get rid of or severely control guns, you have the means to do so. It is called a constitutional amendment. As far as evil goes, you have little recourse but to defend yourself by any means necessary. Me, I prefer to have a gun over begging for my life.

Beav,

As I said, several of these SROs (School Resource Officers) are friends of mine. They don't get involved with discipline, unless it's something that would be a crime outside of the schools (i.e. sexual assault, assault and battery, etc.) Their purpose is not to enforce school rules, but to get info about crime in the community, and partly to show another side of policemen, so that possibly the school aged generation will not just see policemen as enemies.

Basement,

Most of the people I know with CCW permits are the type of person that wear belts with suspenders, always wear their life jacket, and who have a complete emergency kit (with road flares, and cones). I'm not a CCW permit holder, because the utility I would get from the permit don't match the investment of $200 or so in combined licensing/fingerprinting/course fees. Then again, I don't have road flares either.