• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calico said "If you're a Christian and support the death penalty, or war, then frankly, you're not a real Christian - you're a fraud."

So you get to decide who's a Christian and who isn't?

I can quote you Bible verses that indicate killing in self defense, state execution, and certain "just wars" is not a sin.

The struggle with understanding the Bible and sin is God teaches a concept of a righteous attitude or character and sins are actions against that concept. So it can be difficult to understand how God is offended by killing because the body holds the blood of life, and yet orders the Israelites to kill everyone in the promise land because a righteous humanity could not survive under such an immoral culture.

Still for those of us who take the Bible seriously, God is perfect and it behooves us to research and understand Him from whole of Bible, not just a few single verses.

Barry

Well I guess I owe Christians an apology. I just wasn't aware that there can be exceptions to God's words as long as it comes from a Saint or a King or if you believe in the dimness of Jews.

Mea Culpa - my error.

"So you get to decide who's a Christian and who isn't?"

Well heck, I figure if people can claim the right to decide who's moral and who isn't based on intrinsic characteristics, I have every right to claim the right to decide who is Christian and who isn't. Heck fire, there are Christians out there deciding who is and isn't a Christian - ask Catholics and Mormons who have been told they aren't Christians by fundamentalists.

Calico, I think you are assuming that all Christians are fundamentalists and literalists. Many denominations celebrate widely different interpretations of the scripture.

Some denominations, such as Mormons or Catholics also have extensive oral and clerical traditions that accompany the Bible. I'm sure I'm just rehashing things you already knew.

I'm a pretty liberal Christian. I tend to apply my beliefs to how I conduct myself, and don't apply that to other people. My religion and homosexuality don't conflict because I'm not using my beliefs as a benchmark for how they should live, only how I should.

I don't think that's a very popular positions among American Christians at the current moment.

>>I'm a pretty liberal Christian. I tend to apply my beliefs to how I conduct myself, and don't apply that to other people. My religion and homosexuality don't conflict because I'm not using my beliefs as a benchmark for how they should live, only how I should.

Well I guess I owe Christians an apology. I just wasn't aware that there can be exceptions to God's words as long as it comes from a Saint or a King or if you believe in the dimness of Jews.

The Jews certainly had the death penalty (for numerous offenses) so it is clear that the Fifth Commandment has never been interpreted the way you think it ought to be.

"so it is clear that the Fifth Commandment has never been interpreted the way you think it ought to be. "

This simply isn't true. According to Wikipedia, the source of all truth, there are some 41,000 denominations of Christianity. Some of those interpret the passage exactly as Calico has. If not he is free to start his own denomination and then there will be some 41,001 denominations.

Now assuming the "One True Faith" doctrine is held by these denominations, Christians have a 1 in 41,0000 chance of being a member of the one true Christian denomination and getting into heaven...unless Pack is correct and the rapture occurred in 2000.

SA

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:8-10

Can't be any simpler than that. Kinda makes one wonder with all the "conflict" going on between those that think they are God's children.

As for the Rapture/Armagedon stuff, it's all myth/heresy created by John Dauby back in the mid 1800's. No scriptural basis for it, just a lot of cut/paste quoting from various writers trying to prove a point. It did suck up a lot of cult followers as it does with any individual that thinks they know more than God.

As far as pick/choosing random Bible verses to emphasize a point.... I like to do that too.

"Judas hung himself"

"Go, ye, therefore and do likewise..."

"Whatever thou doest, doest quickly."

:)

(This message has been edited by jblake47)

Scoutingagain, actually I maintain that it happened in 1996, based on Biblical history. Of course none of this will matter in a couple of weeks. ;)

Jblake47, you better watch how you throw around the 'M'-word. Ol' Beavah is liable to jump all over your case, especially if you're going to further suggest cult status. But again, it won't matter in a couple of weeks. :)