How far do you go to catch up on AOL requirements?

Thank you everyone, those are some very constructive ideas. I will set up a time outside of the Den meeting if he is interested. And I like the idea of talking to other WDL's and/or Troops to see if anyone else is working of FA activities. I'll also remind him & his parents that he can bridge later.

I hope he chooses to complete this last requirement for AOL. He and my son were the first 2 boys in the Tiger den years ago. Unfortunately he and his parents still follow the Tiger Cub idea that mom or dad need to be at every event. I've offered to pick him up for Den meetings as I do with other boys, but they decline each time.

Thank you everyone, those are some very constructive ideas. I will set up a time outside of the Den meeting if he is interested. And I like the idea of talking to other WDL's and/or Troops to see if anyone else is working of FA activities. I'll also remind him & his parents that he can bridge later.

I hope he chooses to complete this last requirement for AOL. He and my son were the first 2 boys in the Tiger den years ago. Unfortunately he and his parents still follow the Tiger Cub idea that mom or dad need to be at every event. I've offered to pick him up for Den meetings as I do with other boys, but they decline each time.

qwazse;

Just to clarify my points: I agree with you...the AOL is not the most important point here...

But I also wanted to ensure the boy understands...he can't ever go back and finish. Once he crosses.. (when ever that is)... the opportunity is gone for life. The same thing happens for Eagle Scout, and numerous other 'life' opportunities. AOL is often the first time a boy is forced with that decision...to put in the time/effort or walk away.

Parents often are able to explain this point to their children better... and sometimes help talk them into the little extra effort at the end.

By no means do I think it should be just awarded or signed off.

For my families part: My brother set the state record for his Eagle Scout pacakge being submitted...because he almost walked away and decided at the last minute it was worth it to him.

Sq21,

I've used the you-only-got-one-shot-so-take-it argument for cubs through venturers, so I'm with you there. It works for most young boys (9 out of 11 in FTB's case).

But then there's those other youth who need a get-the-most-out-of-what-we've-had-to-offer argument. And that works on maybe 1 in 10. It's the boy who it dawns on him that you would actually like if he "helped" you by completing his requirements.

Unfortunately, it's a crap-shoot if the boys who don't respond to the first argument would be the ones who would respond to the second!

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a parent tell me Suprise! my boy who came to 3 meetings the last 12 months is deserving of his AOL! Suprise he is crossing over! I told her show me the documentation and she got quiet...boy never even got his webeloe 1 yet! What to do now?