After being a Cubmaster for my son's Pack, and working as an ASM, my son's troop just received a letter saying that we have been accepted with a reservation for two crews at Philmont in June 2014. I am one of the adults going on the adventure. I'll get to spend my 55th birthday backpacking at Philmont. We had a crew go in 2011, so we will be getting a lot more stories as we prepare over the next 18 months. I am a little excited.

my son had a good experience - had he been with the other crew he would have had a great experience as all his best buddies were in the other crew but due to adults wanting to be in crew with their own kid and him not having a parent going he didn't have a choice in the crew he was with. But I think as years go by he will have even better memories of it as it can be a once in a lifetime experience.

rj - welcome to the hike-a-month club. (It's okay if a few of those are day excursions.) I suspect you'll be coming our direction or to parts south to hike some verticals. Won't be enough to prep anyone for altitude sickness, but will start getting those legs in shape.

One former ASM routinely did morning jogs on some steep land near home at 5 in the morning to shape up. My brother (a hiking guide for YMCA of the Rockies) lives in Lorain and befriended a farmer with a few steep slopes (in 80ft ravines) where he can do reps to stay in shape. I suggest you go and do likewise.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to post here but the darn software will not let me creat a new thread.

I have a few crews going to Philmont this summer. I am looking for a good source for an excellent topo map. Is the USGS store the best place? Does anyone have any experience with 7.5 series (or better) maps from USGS (or another provider) covering Philmont?