Is Boy scouting Family scouting????

When I made my house purchase long ago.......We made the decision to be able to afford it on one of our salaries.......

Imagine that, thinking for myself and not letting a realtor or mortgage lender do it for me. Congratulations Mr. B you can afford a $250,000 house.....your payments will only be $1500 a month before taxes.... really, how am I going to heat, cool, light and above all eat during the rest of the month.

It was a good thing we did, wife had some health issues that forced her to quit her job.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the cost of your outings is causing families to balk at the price, then you need to scale back, or hold fundraisers to cover the cost to the scouts. I would NOT compromise the experience by letting siblings and parents come along, just so they can have a vacation, too.

Ah deleted what I am sure was a witty reply.

I have posted and stated many times how irked I am about families requesting assistance. I just recently refused to sign a financial aid application for a scout to go to the jamboree.

Why because he got an Iphone 5 a couple of weeks prior. device and service for a year cost more than the jambo would.

Choices......

Doesn't sound like he needs financial assistance does it? But his parents need financial counseling.

"I have posted and stated many times how irked I am about families requesting assistance. I just recently refused to sign a financial aid application for a scout to go to the jamboree. Why because he got an Iphone 5 a couple of weeks prior. device and service for a year cost more than the jambo would. Choices...... Doesn't sound like he needs financial assistance does it? But his parents need financial counseling."

In our Cub Pack this year, we have a record number of folks requesting financial assistance for free uniforms provided by the Council. The problem I have with the program is the application process is loose with little evidence required to prove real financial hardship. Sometimes I wonder because the lifestyles I see do not always match up with the financial assistance being claimed. However, I'm not the judge or jury on these situations - If they fill out their forms properly with their required information, then the rest is up to the Council. I do get annoyed at times because income is not always the issue. It's poor spending choices because folks don't make a home budget. I do get annoyed sometimes. I see too many folks, like myself, on modest incomes with 2 to 3 children forking over the cash to pay for scouting and the thought of asking for assistance does not cross our minds - Never.

In reference to the OP, Troops should avoid doing family campouts. It's not scouting and certainly not the patrol method. Maybe, only maybe, a annual family campout could be scheduled as a way to build relationships but otherwise I would not make them a normal part of the Troop program. Scouts need to be alone with their patrol buddies and learning to be self-reliant and building confidence in their outdoor skills and abilities.

Is Boy Scouting Family camping?

Cub Scouts - yes. Boy Scouts - no.

Secondly, the vast majority of Scout leaders are not qualified to make judgment calls about financial aid. To make an informed decision on these matters would mean quite a bit of privacy issue would be brought up or conversely, a lot of blind trust would be needed.

Do you guys just make up stuff to support your side of the story?

Experiences based on Family for Me is quite the opposite than most of yours

" Wow, your mom set up her camp faster than our leaders"

"John why is your Mom chopping all the fire wood for the Leaders?"

"Man, your mom lashed together a bigger and better lean to than anyone else"

" Crap your mom out shot everyone on the range"

"Bummer your mom can not be our scoutmaster, she has better skills than all the dads combined"

"Hey ask your mom is we can use some of her fire? No body else can get theirs started yet and we are hungry and freezing. Don't know why we did not cover our wood like she did before it started to rain like she did. Did not think we needed to because the leaders did not do it. Seemed like was a waste of time at the time."

Do you guys just make up stuff to support your side of the story?

Experiences based on Family for Me is quite the opposite than most of yours

" Wow, your mom set up her camp faster than our leaders"

"John why is your Mom chopping all the fire wood for the Leaders?"

"Man, your mom lashed together a bigger and better lean to than anyone else"

" Crap your mom out shot everyone on the range"

"Bummer your mom can not be our scoutmaster, she has better skills than all the dads combined"

"Hey ask your mom is we can use some of her fire? No body else can get theirs started yet and we are hungry and freezing. Don't know why we did not cover our wood like she did before it started to rain like she did. Did not think we needed to because the leaders did not do it. Seemed like was a waste of time at the time."