Top-Down Advancement -- Why?

The irony here is that the BSA does not want the local units to "add or subtract" requirements because they want everyone to be the same, yet they are presently waffling on an issue which would do the exact opposite and allow units to "roll their own" with regard to certain issues.

In the scheme of things I think allowing the local units some latitude with regard to the former would be less controversial than the latter. Maybe you should wait until that decision comes down and then use that as a way to leverage your unit being able to institute what it wants. That seems to be the way lately.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a scout has the sand to make Eagle, he'll do whatever it takes to make the grade.   Additional requirements, be they arbitrary or useful or otherwise, will not discourage him in the least.  

I don't believe in additional requirements.

I believe in learning the requirements and then having a program that emphasizes using those requirements - no re-test, no showing someone you retained the skill. Just needing to use some of those skills on a campout to campout basis. Just becuase everyone has planned a menu, budgeted, shoppped, safe food handled and prepared as a meal means that if you regularly have campouts that those "requirements" aren't going to be needed to be done again and "refreshed" informally by someone having to do those things.

I believe in being a gateway (you do have to reach this point - having done these things and in doing so have grown as a person) but not a gate keeper ( you have to be "worthy" in my eyes" and I'll thorw in a few extra burdens so you can prove you are worthy), according to the program, and if the program is followed only about 1-3% nationally are doing so, they are proved worthy by accomplishing the requirements without adding to them.

If you think that the Scoutmaster isn't testing your Scouts correctly, then you need to bring that up with the Scoutmaster, it isn't the Scout's fault and you don't punish the Scout by retesting them.

This mindset is a by-product of advancement mills. I have to say it hurts our scouts and Scouting in the long run.

I tell my scouts and students that THEY are responsible for learning and knowing the material. Have a question, ask. Have a bad merit badge counselor/teacher, find a better one. Don't understand the book, try another or an app or youtube video on the subject. LEARN! You take your own tests and you are RESPONSIBLE for learning the material. PRACTICE!

If you dont use it, you lose it. And if you lost it, it costs you and others... on exams, SAT's, scholarships,...emergencies or do Scouts not do emergencies because they are retests? If you grandmother falls down some steps and needs help, the scout that comes to her aid should he know first aid or is having known it once good enough for you and Gramma? What kind of scout does your Gramma deserve? What kind of scout do you want to be?

Be prepared.

My $0.02,(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

When my post was transferred during the software upgrade, the italics were lost. The first sentence is a quote from someone else.

"If you think that the Scoutmaster isn't testing your Scouts correctly, then you need to bring that up with the Scoutmaster, it isn't the Scout's fault and you don't punish the Scout by retesting them."

I don't agree with this as I stated.