Need advice for SM Conference and possible BOR

SMConference..... SMConversation......

1) Determine if the boy is truly a member of your Troop. Who signed the application? Who accepted it? Was it a dollar transfer? Was it "new"?

2) Get the CC and COR in on this , if necessary , maybe one of them signed the app. Make sure they are on your side in this.

3) Find his advancement records. From whence cometh them? Is he a new Scout with no rank as yet? Is he a transfer and can you speak with his past SM? Or CM?

4)With the knowledge at hand, meet with the boy and parent and have a CONVERSATION. Make sure they know either A) he is not a bonafide member, and here's what he/you needs to do, OR B) here's what is understood about his records, welcome to the Troop, and here's what HE needs to do to EARN the right to a SMConference (attendance, requirement passing, etc.) OR C) there is something really wrong with this situation, we know you want to do the right thing and let's help the boy get the right start in our Troop.

Howzat?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SMConference..... SMConversation......

1) Determine if the boy is truly a member of your Troop. Who signed the application? Who accepted it? Was it a dollar transfer? Was it "new"?

2) Get the CC and COR in on this , if necessary , maybe one of them signed the app. Make sure they are on your side in this.

3) Find his advancement records. From whence cometh them? Is he a new Scout with no rank as yet? Is he a transfer and can you speak with his past SM? Or CM?

4)With the knowledge at hand, meet with the boy and parent and have a CONVERSATION. Make sure they know either A) he is not a bonafide member, and here's what he/you needs to do, OR B) here's what is understood about his records, welcome to the Troop, and here's what HE needs to do to EARN the right to a SMConference (attendance, requirement passing, etc.) OR C) there is something really wrong with this situation, we know you want to do the right thing and let's help the boy get the right start in our Troop.

Howzat?

EagerLeader: "We never see the scout at meetings, so until recharter rolled around I totally forgot about him. "

I assume this to mean since the Scout submitted the original application the Scout has been rechartered with the troop. I'd say that makes the whole "is he or isn't he a member" moot. It does, however, goes to the general shadyness of the situation, but I don't think you can tell the kid he isn't a member. The issues with the application should have been addressed at recharter.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. It really helped clarify my approach to this for tonight. There are just too many ambiguities going on here and my first meeting with this boy will be, as suggested, a "joining" SM conference and not one for rank.

If I were to sign off this boy's book for a SM conference there is no way I could ever look the rest of my scouts in the eye and feel like I did the right thing.

Twocubdad - Your right. From a few of the hints in the original post, it's really hard to give good accurate advice without knowing more of the details. I'm afraid this situation falls into the mess category in which everyone contributed some amount and now people are stuck with untangling the issues.

EL With what you have describe about mom.....The second you talk to the lad it is a SMC.....Mom will document it and turn the paperwork into council forged signatures and all.

twocubs.......You can kick him out of the troop for not participating......it is just that simple.....then a letter to the council registrar to that effect. It is no longer your problem at that point.

BD, although I have every reason to believe you're right, talking to boys is what we do, so I'm with EL on this one. I don't think any one of us should let adult shenanigans get in the way of that.

Also, if the mom is a crew advisor, her feet need to be held to the fire. We can hope she'll be receptive to EL's standards and use it in her own role as a scouter. (Although honestly, for most people, it takes years.)