Is Scouting Becoming Irrelevant?

A few summer camps back, a boy's uncle (on leave from the army) told me that he was overwhelmingly moved at seeing the boys at opening flag.

That settled the relevance issue for me.

It's only been affirmed since then by citizen after citizen (and a few internationals) who I've met since then.

"For the dinosaurs and republicans maybe, for us no. Improvise, adapt, overcome." :)

Us dinosaurs out in the electronic netherworld would like to know, which of the 12 Scout Laws is no longer relevant today as they were 100 years ago? I'm thinking there are too many out there today who are seriously trying to improvise, adapt, and overcome them on a daily basis.

Stosh

With Scouting a worldwide organization, I wonder what they do with their young men who reach adulthood at 13 or 14 years of age? I often think about the possibility of those men sitting around the fire after the hunt to provide for their families wondering why American men are so inept that they have to reside in their parent's homes until they reach 18 and for some 45. It's all a matter of perspective. And then we wonder who is the developed country, adults at 14 providing for their families or the highly techno dolt living in a basement room owned by their parents.

:)

Stosh

I see many boys who really enjoy it. There are just so many more options now for boys outside of scouting. It's natural fewer will be involved.

Somewhere in the past 50 years, adults got the impression that they can and should try to manage/fix everything. It's undoubtedly made it harder for some boys to develop responsibility. All the more reason for scouting to exist.

Last memorial day we did a (last minute)scratch color guard for a event at an Assisted Living facility for WWII to Vietnam era vets. Most of the folks were 70-90 and really enjoyed seeing the boys. Some of the ladies cried thinking of their own sons, now grown, who were once scouts.

We created a little confusion in that we had a couple Girl Scouts help us and so they all just assumed that Boy Scouts had girls now.

I think they appreciated it because while having Cub Scouts do it is cute as heck they liked being remembered by teenagers taking time on a weekend.

Some of those folks will not be around next memorial day. So yeah it was relevant.

The other day I was at a public event and a number of our scouts were there (in plain clothes). Tables and chairs needed to be set up and some of the adults were setting the room up. A 14 year old PL at or troop rounded up the other scouts in the room, told the adults "we got this", and set the room up in 5 minutes. No one told them--they just did it. Great example of leadership.

:) some boys are adults at 14, this does not come as any surprise, I have been exposed to many of them in the 40 years of working with youth.

On the other hand, I have seen more and more 45 year olds who are still trying to figure it out.

To me Scouting is that opportunity to learn what a lot of parents have given up their responsibilities as parents to day care personnel, school teachers, pastors, and others too numerous to mention. At least the BSA is still a independent bastion of solid character building training that has the potential of being a great help to these developing kids.

I would rank a few other organizations like 4-H that mirror this effort as well. But we are few and far between for the large amount of absent parents out there. Such activity does in fact change the social make up of our country and I'm not seeing it moving in a positive direction. Scouting at least allows an opportunity for a few.

Stosh

Marines are not known for tearing up or crying. Especially crusty old retired SgtMajs. who did 3 wars.

But one such Devil Dog I knew would have a hint of a tear in his eyes whenever he saw Cubs doing a flag ceremony no matter how well or poorly, they did.

So yes Scouting still matters.

Now Boy Scouts he would offer positive feedback and work with them, but summer camp staff, you better not screw up! :)