The Bureaucracy of Scouting

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to thank RichardB for giving us something to rally around for a change. With all the divisive things we have (3G's) it's nice to have ol' Darth Vader lurking out there for all of us to rebel against.

I'm almost feeling like I'm Presbyterian again!(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

PS you are welcome.

So sad that assumptions are blindly accepted as facts by so many. As a quick example. BP suggests that "national" folks should try the program for a couple of months.

Well, BP Saturday I had the chance to help run two PWD's back to back.. The first was the 12th year in a row for our churches feeder pack, this time as in the last 6 years as leader of a troop whose boys are running the event on a track built in my garage when I was a wolf den leader. (Table saws were involved) The second was a district wide invitational for webelos suggested by the incoming SM as a way to introduce the boys to our Troop.

BTW, the PWD is always an uplifting experience, being able to see the excitement in the eyes of our youth is the reason we do it.

Perhaps, just perhaps "we" should focus on solutions so that will continue.

(This message has been edited by Richardb)

So I'm glad to see RichardB here and that there is an effort from National to keep tabs on discussions here because I was afraid they were cut off in their own little insular worlds. For what it's worth, I detest most of the changes I've seen coming out of National over the past 10 years.

I find the G2SS to be more of a hindrance and symptom of legalistic or nanny society than a help toward building Men for the 21st century. I follow it because I have to but don't take my acquiescence as a sign of approval. Additional required "training" hasn't added one iota to my ability to train and mold boys although it HAS taken up time and caused consternation when my newly graduated Eagle Scout ASMs were suddenly considered "not trained" (implying they were incompetent) for not taking courses designed to replicate material they'd mastered years ago -- and yes, MOST 19-22 year olds I know have MUCH better things to spend $15 and a weekend on.

I found the press for the Visine (Centennial) uniform incomprehensible with all the other challenges we have. Aspects of the design like the cargo pockets were great but the only times I've ever heard a question from Scouts about green vs. red shoulder loops was when we first implemented the Oscar de la Renta uniform 30 years ago and I've NEVER heard Scouts want to get rid of the traditional white-on-red troop numerals.

Want to help the program? Help us figure out and address what's causing the mass migration out of Scouting at 10-11 years of age -- I can almost guarantee you that One Oath, G2SS, bilingual medical forms and uniform changes are doing nothing positive in this vein.

I happen to like my new SE so far -- the most I can tell you about the former SE is that I didn't hear anyone bemoaning his move and a lot of people celebrating the fact that we won't hear any more idiotic suggestions about selling our current camp lands and relocating the camp several hours further away in order to bulk up the endowment fund. (Heck, I made my first contribution to the endowment fund this year partially in celebration of his departure.)

It would actually be nice to have an ombudsman-type presence on this forum to ask questions and pass on views from the field.