Who carries a firearm on Scout Outings???

happened in the woods that back up the houses in my neighborhood backs up to....maybe 1/2 mile as the crow flies from my house, someone growing back in the woods started a forest fire that burned maybe 30 acres or so.  I never did hear what came out of it.... but it was quite the scare

flames were a good 30ft+ above the pine trees just across the street. Came very close to several houses, and almost made it upwind around the pond so the wind would have pushed it right to my house lickety split.  My wife had a great picture of it, but I accidently deleted it trying to download it from her phone.... still kicking myself

Anyway, my point is, that I've hiked back through those woods before that exploring, and have planned to do it more if it ever gets cold enough to knock back the bugs and snakes (it's very thick...)

But

I have often wondered what might have happened had I stumbled onto that farmer working his field.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd rock at the UN.     ....and from our father's father's father's father.   I'll give you the pint. The Imperial pint has not shrunk in 1000 years, whereas American beer bottles have gone fro

BSA also has policies in place about the mixing of males & females in Dens, Packs & Troops, but many here have no problem talking about how they work around those policies, often with an under

Which is more important: 1- The physical well-being of someone in my care, should the need arise for a firearm in the backwoods.  2- My continued membership in BSA.   If I lost som

Used to be rumors about this in Shawnee NF in southern Illinois as well.

I forgot it also happened in TN, except state owned lands. Also on Private lands too.  My father's new neighbor is retired TN state bureau of investigation. He was doing hiking on his property when he noticed something funny on my father's land. Long story short, someone set up a meth lab on my father's property.

Well the new neighbor decided to visit my father. After a nice long chat, the neighbor realized A) my father was incapable of even going to that section of the property, let alone setting up a meth lab since he is disabled and in an electric wheelchair, and B) since all the family is out of state, my father has no idea who set it up..

TN SBI were really happy to take down that lab.

But the neighbor also said that folks were setting up stuff in state parks.

Used to be rumors about this in Shawnee NF in southern Illinois as well.

I know for a fact there was a major pot bust back in the 80's in a State Park in north central Iowa.  It happens all over the place.  Iowa has had aerial surveillance going on for year because it's very easy to grow pot in the middle of a corn field.  Also Iowa was a major grower back in the 40's when rope was needed for the war effort.  Railroad right-aways are still being sprayed today for "weeds". ;)  One just doesn't know nowadays.

I was an ASM in Southern AZ in the '80s, not far from the border of Mexico.   A location that routinely yields interesting stories in the newspaper, even in those years.

Our troop camped regularly in the desert.   Several intriguing/irregular/unwelcome visitors happened upon our various campsites over the years.   And witnessed some from afar.

The adult leadership, all active duty or vets--were fully prepared if need be.  

Even if everything was quiet, there was always an adult keeping an eye on our surroundings.   We didn't make a big deal about it.   The scouts were none the wiser.

No one is going to take better care of you, and the people than depend on you, than you.

Just because one might have a certain belief about peace and harmony is no guarantee that the other fellow subscribes to the same philosophy. 

Joe Bob's admonition sums it up--be prepared, men.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 2

I was an ASM in Southern AZ in the '80s, not far from the border of Mexico.   A location that routinely yields interesting stories in the newspaper, even in those years.

Our troop camped regularly in the desert.   Several intriguing/irregular/unwelcome visitors happened upon our various campsites over the years.   And witnessed some from afar.

The adult leadership, all active duty or vets--were fully prepared if need be.  

Even if everything was quiet, there was always an adult keeping an eye on our surroundings.   We didn't make a big deal about it.   The scouts were none the wiser.

No one is going to take better care of you, and the people than depend on you, than you.

Just because one might have a certain belief about peace and harmony is no guarantee that the other fellow subscribes to the same philosophy. 

Joe Bob's admonition sums it up--be prepared, men.

Big Bend NP....same issues.

Be Prepared.

• Upvote 1

Well I must say this current thread is much more civil than the old part, no name calling, no OMG, you must need professional help.

For what it is worth, I still have guns, still practice, and would carry if I thought (not felt ) there was a need to protect tbe scouts

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

Robert A. Heinlein

And while I was in the site:

"Being right too soon is socially unacceptable."

"Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy."

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.'

Edited by JoeBob
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 years later...

I've always carried.  And always will.  I'd rather have one and not need one than not have one and need it.  Camping in back country where you can't call for help, can't get ahold of the police and there are wild animals everywhere, you'd better believe someone should have a weapon.  I've been in Scouting for over 30 years and been in a few situations where one of the leaders having a gun saved lives.  It can and does happen.  I'm not saying that you should bring it into meetings and pull it out for everyone to see, but responsible adults having a concealed weapon is not a problem for me.  Besides, BSA policy doesn't trump the law.  In most states (mine included) your vehicle is your private property and legally no group, person or organization can legally prevent you from having a weapon in your property.  Obviously safety should always be a concern and should be practiced.  Over half of the adult leaders in our troop have guns in their vehicles, and every one of us is perfectly fine with it.

2 hours ago, krypton_son said:

I've always carried.  And always will.  I'd rather have one and not need one than not have one and need it.  Camping in back country where you can't call for help, can't get ahold of the police and there are wild animals everywhere, you'd better believe someone should have a weapon.  I've been in Scouting for over 30 years and been in a few situations where one of the leaders having a gun saved lives.  It can and does happen.  I'm not saying that you should bring it into meetings and pull it out for everyone to see, but responsible adults having a concealed weapon is not a problem for me.  Besides, BSA policy doesn't trump the law.  In most states (mine included) your vehicle is your private property and legally no group, person or organization can legally prevent you from having a weapon in your property.  Obviously safety should always be a concern and should be practiced.  Over half of the adult leaders in our troop have guns in their vehicles, and every one of us is perfectly fine with it.

Not to argue with your logic, but in Ohio it is a crime to have a loaded firearm in  the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle unless you have, illogically, a concealed handgun permit. Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.16(B). 

From what i find on line:

Ditto Maine

Ditto Oklahoma

Ditto California except in  certain areas outside municipalities.

Ditto Wisconsin

Ditto Connecticut except for interstate transportation across the state

Ditto New Jersey with some complications

Ditto new York, except for long-barreled long arms "in certain hunting scenarios" outside NYC.

Ditto in PA

Ditto in Illinois

Ditto in indiana

Ditto Michican

OK in Texas if longarm or concealed handgun. (contrary to Florida which requires concealment in a secure container)

OK in Montana

So who told you its legal in "most states"?

• Upvote 1